* Linking SCHEDULED and DEADLINE repeating timestamps to avoid desynchronization
       [not found] <1032532251.385739.1682523845362.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2023-04-26 15:44 ` J. G.
From: J. G. @ 2023-04-26 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Orgmode

Hi everyone, I just stumbled across a surprising behavior with combined SCHEDULED and DEADLINE timestamps that repeat. Here is the example org file contents:
* TODO My late recurring todoSCHEDULED: <2023-04-12 Wed ++1w> DEADLINE: <2023-04-13 Thu ++1w>
Right now it is Wednesday (2023-04-26 to be precise), and as shown above, my task had a scheduled timestamp on a Wednesday from a previous week. The repeater is ++1w, so marking the task as done bumps it to repeat on Wednesday of next week (2023-05-03 to be precise). That functions as expected.
But the deadline timestamp is on a Thursday of a previous week with a repeater of ++1w, so marking the task as done bumps it to Thursday of this week (2023-04-27 to be precise). So marking it as done it has the logical but unexpected result of having the scheduled timestamp for a date (2023-05-03) after the deadline timestamp (2023-04-27).
Is there a way to link the timestamps so that marking the task done will always bump the deadline timestamp after the scheduled timestamp? On the IRC channel I was kindly directed to look into org-todo-repeat-hook as a way to approach it, but to share this here in the mailing list as an edge case to be considered.

* [BUG] Linking SCHEDULED and DEADLINE repeating timestamps to avoid desynchronization
@ 2023-04-27 11:30   ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-04-27 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J. G.; +Cc: Orgmode

"J. G." <jerzor@pacbell.net> writes:

> * TODO My late recurring todoSCHEDULED: <2023-04-12 Wed ++1w> DEADLINE: <2023-04-13 Thu ++1w>
> Right now it is Wednesday (2023-04-26 to be precise), and as shown above, my task had a scheduled timestamp on a Wednesday from a previous week. The repeater is ++1w, so marking the task as done bumps it to repeat on Wednesday of next week (2023-05-03 to be precise). That functions as expected.
> But the deadline timestamp is on a Thursday of a previous week with a
> repeater of ++1w, so marking the task as done bumps it to Thursday of
> this week (2023-04-27 to be precise). So marking it as done it has the
> logical but unexpected result of having the scheduled timestamp for a
> date (2023-05-03) after the deadline timestamp (2023-04-27).

Confirmed.
I think it makes sense to have a special case for scheduled and
deadlines, making sure that they shift by the same number of days in
future, when their repeaters are the same.

However, I do not think that it should be done for all other timestamps
under heading.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: [BUG] Linking SCHEDULED and DEADLINE repeating timestamps to avoid desynchronization
@ 2023-04-27 15:24     ` J. G.
From: J. G. @ 2023-04-27 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: Orgmode