* git repository via http broken
@ 2012-06-26 12:24 Jakob Lombacher
From: Jakob Lombacher @ 2012-06-26 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi.

It seems that git via http doesn't work anymore.

--
>> git clone http://orgmode.org/w/org-mode.git
 fatal: http://orgmode.org/w/org-mode.git/info/refs not found: did you
run git update-server-info on the server?
--

Via git protocol it works just fine, but unfortunately the firewall in
my company restricts me to http.

Jakob

Btw.
Here (http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html) are two different
url's given (http://orgmode.org/w/org-mode.git and
http://orgmode.org/org-mode.git). This is confusing.

* Re: git repository via http broken
@ 2012-06-26 15:14 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2012-06-26 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jakob Lombacher; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Jakob Lombacher <kontakt@lombacher.net> writes:

> It seems that git via http doesn't work anymore.
>
> --
>>> git clone http://orgmode.org/w/org-mode.git
>  fatal: http://orgmode.org/w/org-mode.git/info/refs not found: did you
> run git update-server-info on the server?

Hi Jakob,

Wrong URL maybe?

git clone http://orgmode.org/org-mode.git

seems to work here.

I think the /w/ URL is wrong.

If you confirm that the above URL works without the /w/ I can fix the
Worg page.

Regards,
Bernt

@ 2012-06-26 15:20   ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2012-06-26 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jakob Lombacher; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:

> Jakob Lombacher <kontakt@lombacher.net> writes:

>> Btw.
>> Here (http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html) are two different
>> url's given (http://orgmode.org/w/org-mode.git and
>> http://orgmode.org/org-mode.git). This is confusing.

> git clone http://orgmode.org/org-mode.git
>

> If you confirm that the above URL works without the /w/ I can fix the
> Worg page.

I can't find any references to the http://orgmode.org/w/org-mode.git for
*cloning* the repository in worg.  These links are for users to browse
the repository online - not for cloning with git.

Regards,
Bernt

* Re: git repository via http broken
@ 2012-06-26 15:47     ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2012-06-26 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 5:20 PM, Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> wrote:
> I can't find any references to the http://orgmode.org/w/org-mode.git for
> *cloning* the repository in worg.  These links are for users to browse
> the repository online - not for cloning with git.

Maybe the various cloning urls could be shown on gitweb as done on the
repo.or.cz mirror?

<http://repo.or.cz/w/org-mode.git>

--
Suvayu

* Re: git repository via http broken
@ 2012-06-26 21:30     ` Jakob Lombacher
From: Jakob Lombacher @ 2012-06-26 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

That I misunderstood. I thought this URL was for cloning as well.
Because there I got at least that error message es response.

Using  http://orgmode.org/org-mode.git I don't get any response at all.

Is there a possibility to clone orgmode via http?

Jakob

2012/6/26 Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca>:
> Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:
>
>> Jakob Lombacher <kontakt@lombacher.net> writes:
>
>>> Btw.
>>> Here (http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html) are two different
>>> url's given (http://orgmode.org/w/org-mode.git and
>>> http://orgmode.org/org-mode.git). This is confusing.
>
>> git clone http://orgmode.org/org-mode.git
>>

>> If you confirm that the above URL works without the /w/ I can fix the
>> Worg page.
>
> I can't find any references to the http://orgmode.org/w/org-mode.git for
> *cloning* the repository in worg.  These links are for users to browse
> the repository online - not for cloning with git.
>
> Regards,
> Bernt

* Re: git repository via http broken
@ 2012-06-26 22:05       ` Nick Dokos
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-06-26 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jakob Lombacher; +Cc: Bernt Hansen, emacs-orgmode

Jakob Lombacher <kontakt@lombacher.net> wrote:

> That I misunderstood. I thought this URL was for cloning as well.
> Because there I got at least that error message es response.
>
> Using  http://orgmode.org/org-mode.git I don't get any response at all.

Did you wait long enough? http is *very* slow and there is no progress
feedback during the cloning:

,----
| $ time git clone http://orgmode.org/org-mode.git
| Cloning into org-mode...
|
| real	5m5.885s
| user	0m22.610s
| sys	0m3.660s
`----

Using the system monitor applet in Gnome, I see my (gigabit ethernet)
link getting pretty much saturated and I see regular "ticks" on the
disk, so things get trasmitted and saved, but it took more than five
minutes for the whole thing to clone (vs. 2.5 mins for a clone over git
- which also meters progress so you can that it's doing something).

OTOH, atm I'm not behind a firewall and it's conceivable that your IT
department has shut off access to orgmode somehow. I'd talk to them
about it. Also, if they provide a socks proxy, you might be able to
clone over git using socksify or tsocks and avoid the pain of http.

Nick

PS BTW, I know that git gc is recommended on local repos, but is that
   applicable to the repo on orgmode.org? and would that help with the
   cloning time?  2.5 mins seems long to me. If not gc, is there
   something else that would help?

@ 2012-06-26 23:37       ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2012-06-26 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jakob Lombacher; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Jakob Lombacher <kontakt@lombacher.net> writes:

> That I misunderstood. I thought this URL was for cloning as well.
> Because there I got at least that error message es response.
>
> Using  http://orgmode.org/org-mode.git I don't get any response at all.
>
> Is there a possibility to clone orgmode via http?

Yes I successfully clone it from the above URL but as Nick states it
takes a long time.

-Bernt

@ 2012-06-27  0:46         ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-06-27  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Bernt Hansen, emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> wrote:

> Using the system monitor applet in Gnome, I see my (gigabit ethernet)
> link getting pretty much saturated...

Duh - my gigabit ethernet was turned off at the time, so it was using
the wifi connection - no wonder it was saturated.  But it's still some
significant fraction of 54Mb/s, so it's probably not the weakest link:
the time should not change much (I just checked: it didn't).

Nick

* Re: git repository via http broken
@ 2012-06-27  6:12         ` Jakob Lombacher
From: Jakob Lombacher @ 2012-06-27  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

No I haven't waited long enough. :-S It took so long, that somehow I
thought it was broken ... sry.

Thanks for your help!

Jakob

@ 2012-06-29 16:49         ` Jason Dunsmore
From: Jason Dunsmore @ 2012-06-29 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Bernt Hansen, emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Jun 26 2012, Nick Dokos wrote:

> PS BTW, I know that git gc is recommended on local repos, but is that
>    applicable to the repo on orgmode.org? and would that help with the
>    cloning time?  2.5 mins seems long to me. If not gc, is there
>    something else that would help?

Hi Nick,

It looks like "git gc" was needed on the server.

Before git gc on server:

$ time git clone git://orgmode.org/org-mode.git
Cloning into org-mode...
remote: Counting objects: 62414, done.                     <- Server disk I/O bottleneck
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (18532/18532), done.     <- Server CPU bottleneck
remote: Total 62414 (delta 49455), reused 55032 (delta 43761)
Receiving objects: 100% (62414/62414), 55.46 MiB | 1.16 MiB/s, done.  <- Network bottleneck
Resolving deltas: 100% (49455/49455), done.                <- Local CPU bottleneck

real2m44.757s
user0m11.269s
sys0m0.740s

After git gc on server:

$ time git clone git://orgmode.org/org-mode.git
Cloning into org-mode...
remote: Counting objects: 62414, done.
remote: Total 62414 (delta 49457), reused 62414 (delta 49457)
Receiving objects: 100% (62414/62414), 55.41 MiB | 1.12 MiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (49457/49457), done.

real0m59.071s
user0m11.305s
sys0m0.668s

I've set up a weekly cron job to run "git gc" on the org-mode repo.

Jason

* Re: git repository via http broken
@ 2012-06-29 17:50           ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-06-29 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Dunsmore; +Cc: Bernt Hansen, emacs-orgmode

Jason Dunsmore <jasondunsmore@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 26 2012, Nick Dokos wrote:
>
> > PS BTW, I know that git gc is recommended on local repos, but is that
> >    applicable to the repo on orgmode.org? and would that help with the
> >    cloning time?  2.5 mins seems long to me. If not gc, is there
> >    something else that would help?
>
> Hi Nick,
>
> It looks like "git gc" was needed on the server.
>
> Before git gc on server:
>
> $ time git clone git://orgmode.org/org-mode.git
> Cloning into org-mode...
> remote: Counting objects: 62414, done.                     <- Server disk I/O bottleneck
> remote: Compressing objects: 100% (18532/18532), done.     <- Server CPU bottleneck
> remote: Total 62414 (delta 49455), reused 55032 (delta 43761)
> Receiving objects: 100% (62414/62414), 55.46 MiB | 1.16 MiB/s, done.  <- Network bottleneck
> Resolving deltas: 100% (49455/49455), done.                <- Local CPU bottleneck
>
> real2m44.757s
> user0m11.269s
> sys0m0.740s
>
> After git gc on server:
>
> $ time git clone git://orgmode.org/org-mode.git
> Cloning into org-mode...
> remote: Counting objects: 62414, done.
> remote: Compressing objects: 100% (12836/12836), done.
> remote: Total 62414 (delta 49457), reused 62414 (delta 49457)
> Receiving objects: 100% (62414/62414), 55.41 MiB | 1.12 MiB/s, done.
> Resolving deltas: 100% (49457/49457), done.
>
> real0m59.071s
> user0m11.305s
> sys0m0.668s

That's a pretty good speed-up! I tried the same with http just now and got:

$ time git clone http://orgmode.org/org-mode.git
Cloning into org-mode...

real	3m30.619s
user	0m10.970s
sys	0m0.750s

so it improved on the 5 mins I was getting before by roughly 35%.

My git time was pretty bad though (4.5 mins): I suspect clogging on the
link to my ISP, so both of these numbers are probably suspect. I'll try
again later tonight and see what I get.

> I've set up a weekly cron job to run "git gc" on the org-mode repo.

Great!

Thanks,
Nick