* VM for org-based reproducible environment?
@ 2017-01-23 22:57 Matt Price
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Matt Price @ 2017-01-23 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

I'd like to provide a way for people to copy my course materials in the
easiest possible way. At present my export & grading processes rely on some
customization of various tools, mostly emacs-based. So I'm thinking the
easiest thing might be fore me to define a virtual machine, maybe
docker-based, and distribute that.

Is anyone already doing this? I remember maybe John K. saying something
along these lines a year or so ago, but can't find the details right away.
Would love to steal someone else's setup as I currently know nothing about
docker...

Thanks,
Matt

* Re: VM for org-based reproducible environment?
@ 2017-01-24  3:04 ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2017-01-24  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Price; +Cc: Org Mode

I looked briefly into Docker, but I did not make any progress on it.

--
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F

* Re: VM for org-based reproducible environment?
@ 2017-01-24  9:19 ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2017-01-24  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> writes:

> I'd like to provide a way for people to copy my course materials in the
> easiest possible way. At present my export & grading processes rely on some
> customization of various tools, mostly emacs-based. So I'm thinking the
> easiest thing might be fore me to define a virtual machine, maybe
> docker-based, and distribute that.

Docker might be handy if you need a whole array of tools, say R, Org, a
number of libraries etc etc.  It's not too complicated to created new
docker images and you can host/compile them on "dockerhub".  You can find
the files that create docker images on e.g. github.

Personally, I use an external config.el file to publish files against the
ELPA version of Org.

Something like,

    emacs --batch --no-init-file --load paper-config/org-conf.el --find-file $1 --funcall $2

In addition, I compile the papers with gitlab-ci.  You can include
instructions of what software is needed in the .gitlab-ci.yml.

You might also be able to use something like Guix.  I think it can even be
used to create docker images these days.

Hope it helps,
Rasmus

--
History is what should never happen again

* Re: VM for org-based reproducible environment?
@ 2017-01-24 19:03   ` Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2017-01-24 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rasmus, Org Mode

I'm really interested in the gitlab-ci part of this -- can you describe? Do
you think it will translate to travis on github? I'd prefer to continue
using github if I can since there's so much infrastructure there, and I
tend to use the web interface in my teaching.

I hadn't even heard of guix, it looks intriguing, thanks.

@ 2017-01-25 15:11     ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2017-01-25 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm really interested in the gitlab-ci part of this -- can you describe?

Here's a very simple example using Org to publish a website via gitlab-ci.

       https://gitlab.com/pages/org-mode

> Do you think it will translate to travis on github?

Undoubtedly, but I haven't used Travis.  It looks like .travis.yml is a
bit more verbose than the corresponding .gitlab.yml, and docker seems to
be less integrated.  It should still be possible

    https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/customizing-the-build/

> I'd prefer to continue using github if I can since there's so much
> infrastructure there, and I tend to use the web interface in my
> teaching.

I only report issues on Gitlab.

As I occasionally need private repos and git-annex support I usually use
gitlab.com.

Regards,
Rasmus

--
And I faced endless streams of vendor-approved Ikea furniture. . .

* Re: VM for org-based reproducible environment?
@ 2017-03-26 18:00 ` Grant Rettke
From: Grant Rettke @ 2017-03-26 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Price; +Cc: Org Mode