* Request - make comments `bracket-dumb'
@ 2018-08-06 10:13 Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2018-08-06 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

If I launch emacs -q, create an org-mode file and enter a comment as

# Blah blah  [[bib:blah]] blah blah.

then the  brackets close up such that only one pair is visible. If I
want both pairs visible then I have to write [ [bib:blah] ]. If I use
#+begin_comment then the bracket content is also highlighted, as if it
were active. Both pairs of brackets disappear if `bib:blah' is not present.

This seems to me to be contrary to what a Comment should be - namely a
piece of wholly dumb text. Could this not be achieved?

Best wishes,

Colin Baxter
m43cap@yandex.com
GnuPG fingerprint: 68A8 799C 0230 16E7 BF68  2A27 BBFA 2492 91F5 41C8

* Re: Request - make comments `bracket-dumb'
@ 2018-08-09  5:21 ` Alain.Cochard
From: Alain.Cochard @ 2018-08-09  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Colin Baxter; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Colin Baxter writes on Mon  6 Aug 2018 11:13:

 > If I launch emacs -q, create an org-mode file and enter a comment as
 >
 > # Blah blah  [[bib:blah]] blah blah.
 >
 > then the  brackets close up such that only one pair is visible. If I
 > want both pairs visible then I have to write [ [bib:blah] ]. If I use
 > #+begin_comment then the bracket content is also highlighted, as if it
 > were active. Both pairs of brackets disappear if `bib:blah' is not present.
 >
 > This seems to me to be contrary to what a Comment should be - namely a
 > piece of wholly dumb text. Could this not be achieved?

There is a way to have [[bib:blah]] but I doubt you will like it:
insert a zero width space between the two opening brackets (see, e.g.,
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2018-06/msg00426.html).

More generally, there does not seem to be a way to write totally
verbatim text (I hope someone can prove me wrong).

Regards

--
EOST (École et Observatoire des Sciences de la Terre)
IPG (Institut de Physique du Globe) | alain.cochard@unistra.fr

* Re: Request - make comments `bracket-dumb'
@ 2018-08-09  5:43   ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2018-08-09  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alain.Cochard; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Dear Alain,

    > Colin Baxter writes on Mon 6 Aug 2018 11:13:
    >>
    >> If I launch emacs -q, create an org-mode file and enter a comment
    >> as
    >>
    >> # Blah blah [[bib:blah]] blah blah.
    >>
    >> then the brackets close up such that only one pair is visible. If
    >> I want both pairs visible then I have to write [ [bib:blah] ]. If
    >> I use #+begin_comment then the bracket content is also
    >> highlighted, as if it were active. Both pairs of brackets
    >> disappear if `bib:blah' is not present.
    >>
    >> This seems to me to be contrary to what a Comment should be -
    >> namely a piece of wholly dumb text. Could this not be achieved?

    > There is a way to have [[bib:blah]] but I doubt you will like it:
    > insert a zero width space between the two opening brackets (see,
    > e.g.,
    > http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2018-06/msg00426.html).

Thank you, I had forgotten about the zero-width space; although, true, I
don't much care for it.

    > More generally, there does not seem to be a way to write totally
    > verbatim text

That's a pity.

Best wishes,

Colin Baxter
m43cap@yandex.com
GnuPG fingerprint: 68A8 799C 0230 16E7 BF68  2A27 BBFA 2492 91F5 41C8
Since mathematicians have invaded the theory of relativity, I do not
understand it myself. A. Einstein

* Re: Request - make comments `bracket-dumb'
@ 2018-08-21 18:17 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2018-08-21 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Colin Baxter; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> writes:

> If I launch emacs -q, create an org-mode file and enter a comment as
>
> # Blah blah  [[bib:blah]] blah blah.
>
> then the  brackets close up such that only one pair is visible. If I
> want both pairs visible then I have to write [ [bib:blah] ]. If I use
> #+begin_comment then the bracket content is also highlighted, as if it
> were active. Both pairs of brackets disappear if `bib:blah' is not present.
>
> This seems to me to be contrary to what a Comment should be - namely a
> piece of wholly dumb text. Could this not be achieved?

This is simply a fontification issue. Patches are welcome.

Nicolas Goaziou