* [Babel] Reporting 2 problems of code execution
@ 2010-11-28 20:04 Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2010-11-28 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

#+TITLE:     2 problems with executing block codes
#+DATE:      2010-11-28
#+LANGUAGE:  en

Hi Eric and Dan,

* Abstract

Reporting two problems:

1. parsing problem of unescaped text from a shell block
2. end marker repeated upon execution of elisp block

Note that I added the RESULT thing in my default headers.

* Data

Let's say I want to grep trough arbitrary text, such as:

#+results:a-couple-of-lines
: He said "I'll do it"
: but that cannot be echo'ed!

... or to let it scanned by AWK for post-processing (like generating some DOT
representation).

But, first, as errors are popping up, let's say I can just output it as is.

* Shell code

#+begin_src sh :var data=a-couple-of-lines :exports both
echo "$data"
#+end_src

#+results:
#+BEGIN_RESULT
#+END_RESULT

The data is impossible (*for me*, as is) to print out from a shell code.
Though, it is in Emacs-Lisp... without any change.

Note that it's the second *single quote* only that's causing a problem, not
the first one...

* Emacs-Lisp code

Executing this:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp :var data=a-couple-of-lines :exports both
(prin1-to-string data)
#+end_src

#+results:
#+BEGIN_RESULT
#+begin_example
"He said \"I'll do it\"
but that cannot be echoed!"
#+END_RESULT#+end_example
#+end_example
#+end_example
#+end_example
#+end_example
#+end_example
#+end_example
#+end_example
#+end_example

works, but the *end marker is repeated* as long as we re-execute the block.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban