* Publishing notes to a website
@ 2011-03-11 20:04 Kyle Sexton
From: Kyle Sexton @ 2011-03-11 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

All,

I'm looking for advice on ways people are publishing their org notes
to a website.  So far I've looked at blorgit and it's really nice, but
the dependency for a backend emacs session and running through sinatra
makes me wary of putting it out on my server for the world.

1.  What methods are people using to publish their org notes?
2.  Anyone have sample sites that I can see what the output looks like?

Thanks in advance.

--
Kyle Sexton

* Re: Publishing notes to a website
@ 2011-03-11 20:22 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2011-03-11 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyle Sexton; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Kyle Sexton <ks@mocker.org> writes:

> I'm looking for advice on ways people are publishing their org notes
> to a website.  So far I've looked at blorgit and it's really nice, but
> the dependency for a backend emacs session and running through sinatra
> makes me wary of putting it out on my server for the world.
>
> 1.  What methods are people using to publish their org notes?
> 2.  Anyone have sample sites that I can see what the output looks like?

Hi Kyle,

I use the publishing setup of org-mode to publish static HTML files to
http://doc.norang.ca/.  The publishing setup is documented at
http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html#Publishing

I plan to replace the index page with the org-mode publishing site map
soon.

Bernt

* Re: Publishing notes to a website
@ 2011-03-15  0:28 Thomas Herbert
From: Thomas Herbert @ 2011-03-15  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Kyle Sexton <ks <at> mocker.org> writes:

> I'm looking for advice on ways people are publishing their org notes
> to a website.  So far I've looked at blorgit and it's really nice, but
> the dependency for a backend emacs session and running through sinatra
> makes me wary of putting it out on my server for the world.
>
> 1.  What methods are people using to publish their org notes?
> 2.  Anyone have sample sites that I can see what the output looks like?

Kyle,

I have been actually been working on a simple clean solution for
writing in org-mode and keeping the file as org-mode. What I have come
up with is a "Textile" like PHP class that translates org-mode files
into HTML.

It is still very very alpha and hope to release the code soon for
people to look at, work and improve or completely scrap and take my
idea and do it better.

You can see it in action at http://toshine.org  where I have built a
simple flatfile CMS that reads .org files in a folder, reads the
org-mode header, and creates menus, creates post titles, meta
descriptions, dates etc and is then passed through my "orgile" php
class that spits out HTML. My aim was to simply keep the files as
org-mode and stick them in a folder and let the CMS deal with the
rest. Also I didn't like the complexity of "Jekyll"
http://jekyllrb.com/ installing ruby gems, YAML and all that. I have a
single php file for the CMS and a single php file for the "orgile"
class. The class is totally independent of the CMS, like "textile" and
the "textile class".

If you look at the bottom of a website article you can see the .org
file. I still have a lot to do and currently I have just added the
features that I needed like basic HTML markup, footnotes and
blockquotes. My aim really was to spend time writing my articles and
throwing them into a folder. Most of the time I correct the file via
"Tramp" in Emacs and don't have to republish anything as the file is
just read.

I have though added PHP cache_lite in my CMS so the pages are created
as HTML via "orgile" but served as the cached HTML page. Saves PHP
processing for pages that don't change the whole time. I just remove
the page from cache if I make a edit later.

Anyway have a look and just to say I am totally focused on staying,
working and dealing only with org-mode files so I can concentrate on
the writing. Hopefully "orgile" will become useful for people or at
least spark some better programmers writing a better version of it.

'Mash

http://toshine.org

* Re: Publishing notes to a website
@ 2011-03-17  9:21 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-03-17  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Herbert; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Thomas,

Thomas Herbert <mashdot@toshine.net> writes:

> I have a  single php file for the CMS and a single php file for
> the "orgile"  class. The class is totally independent of the CMS, like
> "textile" and  the "textile class".

This is actually a clean approach, and I'm looking forward testing this
when you consider it mature enough.

Thanks!

--
 Bastien

* Re: Publishing notes to a website
@ 2011-04-26 15:36 ` 'Mash
From: 'Mash @ 2011-04-26 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Quoting Thomas Herbert <mashdot@toshine.net>:
> Kyle Sexton <ks <at> mocker.org> writes:
>
>> I'm looking for advice on ways people are publishing their org notes
>> to a website.  So far I've looked at blorgit and it's really nice, but
>> the dependency for a backend emacs session and running through sinatra
>> makes me wary of putting it out on my server for the world.
>>
>> 1.  What methods are people using to publish their org notes?
>> 2.  Anyone have sample sites that I can see what the output looks like?
>
> Kyle,
>
> I have been actually been working on a simple clean solution for
> writing in org-mode and keeping the file as org-mode. What I have
> come up with is a "Textile" like PHP class that translates org-mode
> files into HTML.
>
> It is still very very alpha and hope to release the code soon for
> people to look at, work and improve or completely scrap and take my
> idea and do it better.

As I mentioned earlier I have been playing around building a regex
parser in PHP for Org-Mode files. As you will see I am obviously an
amateur programmer and my hope is that if this is at all useful then
someone else will rewrite it. My site http://toshine.org uses both the
classOrgile and the Orgile CMS. If you look at the bottom of any
article you will see the link to the raw .org file that is
parsed/converted to HTML.

---
The classOrgile PHP class (very limited currently!).
http://toshine.org/etc/files/classorgile.php.txt

The Orgile PHP flat file CMS (currently used for http://toshine.org).
http://toshine.org/etc/files/orgile.php.txt

The Orgile PHP flat file CMS (fully commented code).
http://toshine.org/etc/files/orgile-commented.php.txt
---

Well I hope it is at least interesting for someone on this list.

'Mash

* Re: Publishing notes to a website
@ 2011-04-26 21:01   ` William Gardella
From: William Gardella @ 2011-04-26 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

'Mash <mashdot@toshine.net> writes:

> Quoting Thomas Herbert <mashdot@toshine.net>:
>> Kyle Sexton <ks <at> mocker.org> writes:
>>
>>> I'm looking for advice on ways people are publishing their org notes
>>> to a website.  So far I've looked at blorgit and it's really nice, but
>>> the dependency for a backend emacs session and running through sinatra
>>> makes me wary of putting it out on my server for the world.
>>>
>>> 1.  What methods are people using to publish their org notes?
>>> 2.  Anyone have sample sites that I can see what the output looks like?
>>
>> Kyle,
>>
>> I have been actually been working on a simple clean solution for
>> writing in org-mode and keeping the file as org-mode. What I have
>> come up with is a "Textile" like PHP class that translates org-mode
>> files into HTML.
>>
>> It is still very very alpha and hope to release the code soon for
>> people to look at, work and improve or completely scrap and take my
>> idea and do it better.
>
> As I mentioned earlier I have been playing around building a regex
> parser in PHP for Org-Mode files. As you will see I am obviously an
> amateur programmer and my hope is that if this is at all useful then
> someone else will rewrite it. My site http://toshine.org uses both the
> classOrgile and the Orgile CMS. If you look at the bottom of any
> article you will see the link to the raw .org file that is
> parsed/converted to HTML.
>
> ---
> The classOrgile PHP class (very limited currently!).
> http://toshine.org/etc/files/classorgile.php.txt
>
> The Orgile PHP flat file CMS (currently used for http://toshine.org).
> http://toshine.org/etc/files/orgile.php.txt
>
> The Orgile PHP flat file CMS (fully commented code).
> http://toshine.org/etc/files/orgile-commented.php.txt
> ---
>
> Well I hope it is at least interesting for someone on this list.
>
> 'Mash

Limited though it may be, I'm extremely impressed with the results you
are getting out of this little flat-file CMS :)

It seems like a more "blog" (periodical literature)-like solution than
Blorgit, which in spite of its name is really a wiki framework.  I think
I'll be trying this in my sandbox soon :)

Will

* Re: Publishing notes to a website
@ 2011-04-26 23:02     ` 'Mash
From: 'Mash @ 2011-04-26 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Quoting William Gardella <gardellawg@gmail.com>:

> 'Mash <mashdot@toshine.net> writes:
>
>> Quoting Thomas Herbert <mashdot@toshine.net>:

>>> Kyle,
>>>
>>> I have been actually been working on a simple clean solution for
>>> writing in org-mode and keeping the file as org-mode. What I have
>>> come up with is a "Textile" like PHP class that translates org-mode
>>> files into HTML.
>>>
>>> It is still very very alpha and hope to release the code soon for
>>> people to look at, work and improve or completely scrap and take my
>>> idea and do it better.
>>
>> As I mentioned earlier I have been playing around building a regex
>> parser in PHP for Org-Mode files. As you will see I am obviously an
>> amateur programmer and my hope is that if this is at all useful then
>> someone else will rewrite it. My site http://toshine.org uses both the
>> classOrgile and the Orgile CMS. If you look at the bottom of any
>> article you will see the link to the raw .org file that is
>> parsed/converted to HTML.
>>
>> ---
>> The classOrgile PHP class (very limited currently!).
>> http://toshine.org/etc/files/classorgile.php.txt
>>
>> The Orgile PHP flat file CMS (currently used for http://toshine.org).
>> http://toshine.org/etc/files/orgile.php.txt
>>
>> The Orgile PHP flat file CMS (fully commented code).
>> http://toshine.org/etc/files/orgile-commented.php.txt
>> ---
>>
>> Well I hope it is at least interesting for someone on this list.
>>
>> 'Mash
>
> Limited though it may be, I'm extremely impressed with the results you
> are getting out of this little flat-file CMS :)
>
> It seems like a more "blog" (periodical literature)-like solution than
> Blorgit, which in spite of its name is really a wiki framework.  I think
> I'll be trying this in my sandbox soon :)
>
> Will

Thanks Will, and do let me know if you need any help deciphering my
code. It looks a lot better in php-mode!
It really is actually a very simple program, and really easy to remove
what you don't need and add what you want.
You have my email address so pop me a line whenever.

Thanks

'Mash

* Re: Publishing notes to a website
@ 2011-04-27  0:41       ` Eric Schulte