* Re: Publishing notes to a website
@ 2011-03-15  0:28 Thomas Herbert
From: Thomas Herbert @ 2011-03-15  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Kyle Sexton <ks <at> mocker.org> writes:

> I'm looking for advice on ways people are publishing their org notes
> to a website.  So far I've looked at blorgit and it's really nice, but
> the dependency for a backend emacs session and running through sinatra
> makes me wary of putting it out on my server for the world.
>
> 1.  What methods are people using to publish their org notes?
> 2.  Anyone have sample sites that I can see what the output looks like?

Kyle,

I have been actually been working on a simple clean solution for
writing in org-mode and keeping the file as org-mode. What I have come
up with is a "Textile" like PHP class that translates org-mode files
into HTML.

It is still very very alpha and hope to release the code soon for
people to look at, work and improve or completely scrap and take my
idea and do it better.

You can see it in action at http://toshine.org  where I have built a
simple flatfile CMS that reads .org files in a folder, reads the
org-mode header, and creates menus, creates post titles, meta
descriptions, dates etc and is then passed through my "orgile" php
class that spits out HTML. My aim was to simply keep the files as
org-mode and stick them in a folder and let the CMS deal with the
rest. Also I didn't like the complexity of "Jekyll"
http://jekyllrb.com/ installing ruby gems, YAML and all that. I have a
single php file for the CMS and a single php file for the "orgile"
class. The class is totally independent of the CMS, like "textile" and
the "textile class".

If you look at the bottom of a website article you can see the .org
file. I still have a lot to do and currently I have just added the
features that I needed like basic HTML markup, footnotes and
blockquotes. My aim really was to spend time writing my articles and
throwing them into a folder. Most of the time I correct the file via
"Tramp" in Emacs and don't have to republish anything as the file is
just read.

I have though added PHP cache_lite in my CMS so the pages are created
as HTML via "orgile" but served as the cached HTML page. Saves PHP
processing for pages that don't change the whole time. I just remove
the page from cache if I make a edit later.

Anyway have a look and just to say I am totally focused on staying,
working and dealing only with org-mode files so I can concentrate on
the writing. Hopefully "orgile" will become useful for people or at
least spark some better programmers writing a better version of it.

'Mash

http://toshine.org

* Publishing notes to a website
@ 2011-03-11 20:04 Kyle Sexton
From: Kyle Sexton @ 2011-03-11 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

All,

I'm looking for advice on ways people are publishing their org notes
to a website.  So far I've looked at blorgit and it's really nice, but
the dependency for a backend emacs session and running through sinatra
makes me wary of putting it out on my server for the world.

1.  What methods are people using to publish their org notes?
2.  Anyone have sample sites that I can see what the output looks like?

Thanks in advance.

--
Kyle Sexton