* emacs calc and src block editing
@ 2014-01-25 12:49 Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2014-01-25 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

There is a niggling aspect of editing source code blocks.  If, while in
the src block buffer (reached by C-c '), if you start up calc and
request "calc-copy-to-buffer" to place a result in the source code being
edited, the copy is actually placed in the original org buffer and
subsequently lost when exiting the src buffer.  In my opinion, the copy
should be place in the src buffer at point.

I have no idea whether or how this could be fixed.  It's not a major
problem but I thought I would mention it in case it's easy to fix.

This happens with current org even though I am writing this on a system
with an older version.

Thanks,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 24.3.1, Org release_8.2.4-322-gece429

* Re: emacs calc and src block editing
@ 2014-01-26 23:10 ` Florian Beck
From: Florian Beck @ 2014-01-26 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List

On 25.01.2014 13:49, Eric S Fraga wrote:

> There is a niggling aspect of editing source code blocks.  If, while in
> the src block buffer (reached by C-c '), if you start up calc and
> request "calc-copy-to-buffer" to place a result in the source code being
> edited, the copy is actually placed in the original org buffer and
> subsequently lost when exiting the src buffer.  In my opinion, the copy
> should be place in the src buffer at point.

It is a feature of calc, not to copy to internal (starred) buffers.

> I have no idea whether or how this could be fixed.  It's not a major
> problem but I thought I would mention it in case it's easy to fix.

I'm afraid the only way to fix this is inside calc. You can do it
yourself with advice, e.g.:

(advice-add 'calc-find-writable-buffer
	    :before-until
	    (lambda (buf mode)
	      (if (and (string-match "\\`\\*Org Src"
				     (buffer-name (car buf)))
		       (get-buffer-window (car buf)))
		  (car buf)))
	    '((name . calc-copy-to-org-src)))

Remove it with:

(advice-remove 'calc-find-writable-buffer 'calc-copy-to-org-src)

HTH.

* Re: emacs calc and src block editing
@ 2014-02-02 19:11   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2014-02-02 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Florian Beck <fb@miszellen.de> writes:

> On 25.01.2014 13:49, Eric S Fraga wrote:
>
>> There is a niggling aspect of editing source code blocks.  If, while in
>> the src block buffer (reached by C-c '), if you start up calc and
>> request "calc-copy-to-buffer" to place a result in the source code being
>> edited, the copy is actually placed in the original org buffer and
>> subsequently lost when exiting the src buffer.  In my opinion, the copy
>> should be place in the src buffer at point.
>
> It is a feature of calc, not to copy to internal (starred) buffers.

Ah.  Okay, that's fine then.

Thanks for your suggested advice.  I haven't tried it yet but have made
a note of it.
--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 24.3.50.1, Org release_8.2.5h-585-g5f0ca0