From: jorge.alfaro-murillo@yale.edu (Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo)
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Emulating list functionality from traditional GUI editors
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 13:44:44 -0500	[thread overview]

Calvin Young writes:

> ;; Starting with this setup:
>
> - one - two + a[CURSOR_HERE]
>
> ;; Hitting <enter> should produce:
>
> - one - two + a + [CURSOR_HERE]
>
> ;; Hitting <enter> again would then produce:
>
> - one - two + a - [CURSOR_HERE]
>
> ;; And hitting <enter> one last time would produce:
>
> - one - two + a
>
> [CURSOR_HERE]

I think there is a confusion here, my understanding is that org
separates sublists by indentation so if you have:

- a
+ b[CURSOR]

and hit M-<enter> it should correct to:

- a
- b
- [CURSOR]

It is different if you have:

- a
  + b[CURSOR]

or

- a
  - b[CURSOR]

or

1. a
   - b[CURSOR]
2. c

etc

> I know we can already achieve this with some combination of
> distinct advantages:
>
> 1. The user only needs to remember one key to cycle between all
> of these actions, rather than 3 key combinations.

But the problem is that you lose the functionality of <enter> to
exit the list. I want to have <enter> to finish a line and <enter>
<enter> to finish a paragraph like I am used everywhere else.

> 2. This behavior is more consistent with the bulleting behavior
> in other editors

We shouldn't aim to imitate other much inferior editors ;-)

> , which could make it feel more intuitive for new org-mode
> users.  [...]
> Yes, but for the reasons mentioned above, it'd be nice if we
> could use the <enter> to outdent a new list entry as well.

I disagree, <tab> and S-<tab> for indenting is much more friendly
than <enter>, most modes in emacs behave like that. A new user
just has to understand that sublists are separated by indentation,
and learn that M-<enter> is for lists, and M-S-<enter> is for
check boxes.

> Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo says:
>> I guess you could remap <backspace> to a function that checks
>> if you are at the beginning of the list and when that is true
>> it does what you want, otherwise it just calls
>> `delete-backward-char'. But generally I would do C-a C-k
>> <backspace>, just two more keystrokes.
> Makes sense. This is an easy function to write — just wanted to
> make sure there wasn't something that already does this
> out-of-the-box.

It should save around half a second per use, so if you use it five
times a day you have about 1 hour to write it... minus the time it
takes you to read this: http://xkcd.com/1205/ =)

> In general, I *believe* a lot of folks use lists and checkboxs
> in similar ways. I certainly do, and I frequently accidentally
> hit M-<enter> while editing a checkbox when I really intend to
> insert a new checkbox entry. As a result, it seems desirable to
> create an interface that treats them more similarly (e.g., using
> a single <enter> keypress to auto-insert a new entry).
>
> If this doesn't exist yet, I'd be happy to roll it myself. But
> it'd be nice to avoid re-inventing the wheel here if possible :)

Maybe, but you would lose the ability to have mixed check boxes
and items lists. But you are right, it might be a nice
configuration to allow M-<enter> to give you another item with
check box if you are already in one (and then M-S-<enter> gives
you a plain list item). But it might be even more confusing for a
new user as to why the behavior is not consistent with M-<enter>,
so probably it shouldn't be default.

Best,

--
Jorge.