* How to reorder a footnote list?
@ 2016-04-27 20:05 Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2016-04-27 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode-email

Something has happened to my list of footnotes which are now numbered in
order of 1,2,3, etc, instead of its more normal 50, 49, 48, etc. I don't
know exactly when it happened but I'm not able now to export my document
to latex because its looking for [fn:1] at the bottom of the list
but [fn:1] is now at the top of the list!

So how can I reorder the list please? I've googled but without success.

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian 8.4, fluxbox 1.3.7, emacs 25.0.93

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: How to reorder a footnote list?
@ 2016-04-27 22:31 ` Adam Porter
From: Adam Porter @ 2016-04-27 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I don't understand: you want the footnotes to be in reverse order?  I
know very little about latex, so I'm sorry if this is just noise.

BTW, this won't help now, and is not meant to be snarky, but keeping
your org files in a git repo would help with a situation like this,
because you could find the commit where the change happened and get the
old text back.  I use a combination of real-auto-save-mode, a cron job,
and a "raise-or-run" script that automatically commits my org file
changes to git either every 15 minutes or every time I hide Emacs with
the script.  It has saved me a few times when I accidentally deleted
subtrees without realizing it until days later (probably had a region
marked by accident and then typed over it or something like that).

* Re: How to reorder a footnote list?
@ 2016-04-28 11:09   ` Sharon Kimble
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2016-04-28 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Porter; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Adam Porter <adam@alphapapa.net> writes:

> I don't understand: you want the footnotes to be in reverse order?  I
> know very little about latex, so I'm sorry if this is just noise.

Thanks Adam. Org-mode likes to set the footnotes in its 'reference'
section in reverse order, i.e. [fn:60] [fn:59] etc. But in my case it
was going [fn:1] [fn:2] etc. So I manually reordered them but I still
wasn't able to export my file, so I looked at the footnote references
*in* the document and found that they were all [1] [2] etc. Somehow it
had lost 'fn:*' before each reference number, so I went through the
document just reinstating the missing 'fn:' and now it all works again.

> BTW, this won't help now, and is not meant to be snarky, but keeping
> your org files in a git repo would help with a situation like this,
> because you could find the commit where the change happened and get the
> old text back.  I use a combination of real-auto-save-mode, a cron job,
> and a "raise-or-run" script that automatically commits my org file
> changes to git either every 15 minutes or every time I hide Emacs with
> the script.  It has saved me a few times when I accidentally deleted
> subtrees without realizing it until days later (probably had a region
> marked by accident and then typed over it or something like that).

I do have git set up to auto-commit in certain working files to every 4
hours, so I did look at the git log but wasn't able to find when the
error had occurred, so I sorted it all out manually. But I have now set
the cron job to work every 15 minutes between 0600 and 2200, I don't see
the sense of doing it when I'm in bed! But thanks for the idea.

@ 2016-04-28 11:23     ` Stig Brautaset
From: Stig Brautaset @ 2016-04-28 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

> [...] I looked at the footnote references *in* the document and found
> that they were all [1] [2] etc. Somehow it had lost 'fn:*' before each
> reference number

Could it be that you at some point did `C-u C-c C-x n'? This removes the
fn: from the footnotes. I have been bitten by doing exactly that in the
past. The manual has more: http://orgmode.org/manual/Footnotes.html

Stig

* Re: How to reorder a footnote list?
@ 2016-04-28 12:32       ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2016-04-28 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stig Brautaset; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Stig Brautaset <stig@brautaset.org> writes:

> Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:
>
>> [...] I looked at the footnote references *in* the document and found
>> that they were all [1] [2] etc. Somehow it had lost 'fn:*' before each
>> reference number
>
> Could it be that you at some point did `C-u C-c C-x n'? This removes the
> fn: from the footnotes. I have been bitten by doing exactly that in the
> past. The manual has more: http://orgmode.org/manual/Footnotes.html

Thanks Stig.

Could be, I've set 'org-export-to-latex' to "s-#" which I've found is
far quicker and easier than 'C-c C-e l l', but its perfectly possible
that I'd mangled it at some point. And yes, I had looked at that page
but didn't find any easy way of sorting it out, so it just had to be
done manually. Its thrown my writing schedule off but it should catch up
over the weekend, I hope?! :)

@ 2016-04-28 15:06     ` Adam Porter
From: Adam Porter @ 2016-04-28 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

> Org-mode likes to set the footnotes in its 'reference'
> section in reverse order, i.e. [fn:60] [fn:59] etc. But in my case it
> was going [fn:1] [fn:2] etc.

Hmm, this seems strange to me.  It hasn't worked that way for me in the
past, and I just tested this on a new org file and it didn't put them in
reverse order.  Currently on Org 8.2.4.  Could this be something to do
with latex support?

* Re: How to reorder a footnote list?
@ 2016-04-28 17:27       ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2016-04-28 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Porter; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Adam Porter <adam@alphapapa.net> writes:

> Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:
>
>> Org-mode likes to set the footnotes in its 'reference'
>> section in reverse order, i.e. [fn:60] [fn:59] etc. But in my case it
>> was going [fn:1] [fn:2] etc.
>
> Hmm, this seems strange to me.  It hasn't worked that way for me in the
> past, and I just tested this on a new org file and it didn't put them in
> reverse order.  Currently on Org 8.2.4.  Could this be something to do
> with latex support?

I now have '#+STARTUP: fnadjust' in the preamble immediately below the
title, author and date fields and this reorders the footnote list so it
is now going [fn:1] [fn:2] [fn:3] etc, and adds the new footnote at the
end of the list. There is a slight pause whilst its reordering but then
it works just fine.

No, its not the latex support, its what is happening with a new org-mode
footnote. But please see my previous paragraph.

@ 2016-04-28 19:27     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2016-04-28 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

> Adam Porter <adam@alphapapa.net> writes:
>
>> I don't understand: you want the footnotes to be in reverse order?  I
>> know very little about latex, so I'm sorry if this is just noise.
>
> Thanks Adam. Org-mode likes to set the footnotes in its 'reference'
> section in reverse order, i.e. [fn:60] [fn:59] etc. But in my case it
> was going [fn:1] [fn:2] etc.

FWIW, I have never seen org-mode order footnotes in reverse order.

--
Nick

* Re: How to reorder a footnote list?
@ 2016-04-29  0:10         ` Adam Porter
From: Adam Porter @ 2016-04-29  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

> I now have '#+STARTUP: fnadjust' in the preamble immediately below the
> title, author and date fields and this reorders the footnote list so it
> is now going [fn:1] [fn:2] [fn:3] etc, and adds the new footnote at the
> end of the list. There is a slight pause whilst its reordering but then
> it works just fine.

Hm, I see that that is a per-file setting for the global variable
org-footnote-auto-adjust, which I have set to t.  Apparently its default
value is nil.  That might be why I've never seen them in reverse order,
since I guess I've had this enabled for as long as I can remember.