* [BUG] exporting links with underscores
@ 2022-12-16 22:32 Leo Butler
From: Leo Butler @ 2022-12-16 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Org version is 9.5.2; emacs version is 27.1.

The manual does not indicate that underscores need to be escaped in
links (and they can't be, as far as I can tell). The latex and html
exporters interpret them as the start of a subscript.

Leo

[-- Attachment #2: underscore.org --]
[-- Type: text/org-mode; name="underscore.org", Size: 487 bytes --]

#+AUTHOR: Leo Butler
#+TITLE: Bug in processing underscores in links

* Description

The link =[[mailto:ex_ample@ex.com][ex_ample]]= is expected to export
to =\href{mailto:ex_ample@ex.com}{ex_ample}= but instead, we get
[[mailto:ex_ample@ex.com][ex_ample]] exports to (in latex): =\href{mailto:ex\_ample@ex.com}{ex\textsubscript{ample}}=

Note that a similar issue is seen with the HTML export.

* Reproduction

Export this file: =C-c C-e l p=.

* Re: [BUG] exporting links with underscores
@ 2022-12-17  4:08 ` Mike Gauland
From: Mike Gauland @ 2022-12-17  4:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 17/12/22 11:32, Leo Butler wrote:
> Org version is 9.5.2; emacs version is 27.1.
>
> The manual does not indicate that underscores need to be escaped in
> links (and they can't be, as far as I can tell). The latex and html
> exporters interpret them as the start of a subscript.
>
> Leo

By default underscore is treated that way--see the "Subscripts and
Superscripts" section of the manual
(https://orgmode.org/manual/Subscripts-and-Superscripts.html).

Set the '^' option to 'nil' to get the behaviour you're after:

If you want a subscript anywhere, you can get that by using curly braces
(e.g., ex_{ample}).

* Re: [BUG] exporting links with underscores
@ 2022-12-17  9:59 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-12-17  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Leo Butler <Leo.Butler@umanitoba.ca> writes:

> The manual does not indicate that underscores need to be escaped in
> links (and they can't be, as far as I can tell). The latex and html
> exporters interpret them as the start of a subscript.
>
> The link =[[mailto:ex_ample@ex.com][ex_ample]]= is expected to export
> to =\href{mailto:ex_ample@ex.com}{ex_ample}= but instead, we get
> [[mailto:ex_ample@ex.com][ex_ample]] exports to (in latex): =\href{mailto:ex\_ample@ex.com}{ex\textsubscript{ample}}=

This is expected. You mixed URL part of the link and the description.
Link description can have same formatting as any other Org text.
So, underscores are indeed treated as markup.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: [BUG] exporting links with underscores
@ 2022-12-18 16:09   ` Leo Butler
From: Leo Butler @ 2022-12-18 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Gauland; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Sat, Dec 17 2022, Mike Gauland <mikelygee@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 17/12/22 11:32, Leo Butler wrote:
>> Org version is 9.5.2; emacs version is 27.1.
>>
>> The manual does not indicate that underscores need to be escaped in
>> links (and they can't be, as far as I can tell). The latex and html
>> exporters interpret them as the start of a subscript.
>>
>> Leo
>>
> By default underscore is treated that way--see the "Subscripts and
> Superscripts" section of the manual
> (https://orgmode.org/manual/Subscripts-and-Superscripts.html).

Thanks, I was looking at the section on links.

> Set the '^' option to 'nil' to get the behaviour you're after:

> If you want a subscript anywhere, you can get that by using curly braces
> (e.g., ex_{ample}).

Thanks for the tip and my apologies for the noise.

Best,
Leo