* Is it possible for checkbox items to have :LOGBOOK: drawers?
@ 2011-12-10 17:13 Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2011-12-10 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Platform: Ubuntu 10.10
          GNU Emacs 23.1.1
          git version of org-mode

When I create a TODO task, I first create the task, then I create
checkboxes for the things I would like to do, ie.

* My tasks
** TODO here's a new task [/]
 - [ ] First I need to do this
 - [ ] Then I need to do that
 - [ ] Finally I need to finish this

The reason for using checkboxes, is that I find them more visually
pleasing than nested TODOs.  But when logging progress, I can't use the
logbook functionality (like I could have done with nested TODOs).  I
have ended up doing this:

* My tasks
** TODO here's a new task [/]
 - [ ] First I need to do this
  - Logbook:
    - My first note
    - My second note
 - [ ] Then I need to do that
 - [ ] Finally I need to finish this

That works, after a fashion.  But I get no timestamp on the notes,
unless I remember to do a `C-.'

I've tried putting :LOGBOOK: drawers in the checkboxes, and that seemed
to work at first, but then I discovered that all notes ended up in the
topmost checkbox, which just happened to reside under the first
checkbox.

Is there some variable that I can set to make :LOGBOOK: drawers work
under checkboxes?  Is there some other similar solution?  (I'm on git
org-mode at home, and use native emacs 23 org-mode and 7.7 on the
windows boxes at work)

Thanks!

- Steinar

* Re: Is it possible for checkbox items to have :LOGBOOK: drawers?
@ 2011-12-11 10:21 ` David Maus
From: David Maus @ 2011-12-11 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steinar Bang; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

At Sat, 10 Dec 2011 18:13:14 +0100,
Steinar Bang wrote:

> Platform: Ubuntu 10.10
>           GNU Emacs 23.1.1
>           git version of org-mode
>
> When I create a TODO task, I first create the task, then I create
> checkboxes for the things I would like to do, ie.
>
> * My tasks
> ** TODO here's a new task [/]
>  - [ ] First I need to do this
>  - [ ] Then I need to do that
>  - [ ] Finally I need to finish this
>
> The reason for using checkboxes, is that I find them more visually
> pleasing than nested TODOs.  But when logging progress, I can't use the
> logbook functionality (like I could have done with nested TODOs).  I
> have ended up doing this:
>
> * My tasks
> ** TODO here's a new task [/]
>  - [ ] First I need to do this
>   - Logbook:
>     - My first note
>     - My second note
>  - [ ] Then I need to do that
>  - [ ] Finally I need to finish this
>
> That works, after a fashion.  But I get no timestamp on the notes,
> unless I remember to do a `C-.'
>
> I've tried putting :LOGBOOK: drawers in the checkboxes, and that seemed
> to work at first, but then I discovered that all notes ended up in the
> topmost checkbox, which just happened to reside under the first
> checkbox.
>
> Is there some variable that I can set to make :LOGBOOK: drawers work
> under checkboxes?  Is there some other similar solution?  (I'm on git
> org-mode at home, and use native emacs 23 org-mode and 7.7 on the
> windows boxes at work)

No, as far as I know it is not possible to attach a Drawer to a list
item.

Best,
  -- David
--
OpenPGP... 0x99ADB83B5A4478E6
Jabber.... dmjena@jabber.org

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 230 bytes --]

* Re: Is it possible for checkbox items to have :LOGBOOK: drawers?
@ 2011-12-11 10:30 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2011-12-11 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

> Is there some variable that I can set to make :LOGBOOK: drawers work
> under checkboxes?

No, lists ignore contents of drawers within them. Moreover :LOGBOOK:
drawers are an headline only feature.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Is it possible for checkbox items to have :LOGBOOK: drawers?
@ 2011-12-11 11:56   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2011-12-11 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Hello,
> Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

>> Is there some variable that I can set to make :LOGBOOK: drawers work
>> under checkboxes?

> No, lists ignore contents of drawers within them. Moreover :LOGBOOK:
> drawers are an headline only feature.

> No, as far as I know it is not possible to attach a Drawer to a list
> item.

Bummer!  But thanks for the replies.

Is there another way to accomplish what I want: getting time stamped log
entries under a list item?

Ie. it doesn't have to be in a drawer, and entries don't have to be
created with `C-c C-z'.  But should be easy to use.

Or... I could go back to nested TODOs I guess...?  But checkboxes are so
much more visually pleasing...

* Re: Is it possible for checkbox items to have :LOGBOOK: drawers?
@ 2011-12-11 12:25     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-12-11 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Steinar,

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

> Is there another way to accomplish what I want: getting time stamped log
> entries under a list item?

Nope.

> Ie. it doesn't have to be in a drawer, and entries don't have to be
> created with `C-c C-z'.  But should be easy to use.
>
> Or... I could go back to nested TODOs I guess...?

I would say so.

> But checkboxes are so much more visually pleasing...

Maybe you can find smart TODO keywords for TODO and DONE that are more
visually pleasing?  Just an idea.

Best,

--
 Bastien