* "org-time-stamp" and "org-time-stamp-inactive" no longer work
@ 2011-12-09 19:38 York Zhao
From: York Zhao @ 2011-12-09 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I have noticed this problem for awhile and now I think it is worth reporting it
and hopefully get fixed.

Here is what happened when I hit "C-c !" in org buffer:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument window-live-p nil)
  select-window(nil)
  org-eval-in-calendar(nil t)
  byte-code("\306 \210\307\216\310\311\b!\312 \211\x19\x19\313	8)\314\x1a^[\315\v!\203!

  org-read-date(nil totime nil nil (20194 25121 578000) nil)
  org-time-stamp(nil inactive)
  org-time-stamp-inactive(nil)
  call-interactively(org-time-stamp-inactive nil nil)

* Re: "org-time-stamp" and "org-time-stamp-inactive" no longer work
@ 2011-12-09 19:49 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-12-09 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: York Zhao; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

York Zhao <gtdplatform@gmail.com> writes:

> I have noticed this problem for awhile and now I think it is worth reporting it
> and hopefully get fixed.
>
> Here is what happened when I hit "C-c !" in org buffer:

I can't reproduce this.

What is your version of Emacs and Org-mode?

 Bastien

* Re: "org-time-stamp" and "org-time-stamp-inactive" no longer work
@ 2011-12-09 20:32   ` York Zhao
From: York Zhao @ 2011-12-09 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> What is your version of Emacs and Org-mode?

Emacs v23.3.1 on Windows, Org-mode version 7.7 (release_7.7.625.gf18b1)

Thanks,

York

* Re: "org-time-stamp" and "org-time-stamp-inactive" no longer work
@ 2011-12-09 21:31     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-12-09 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: York Zhao; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

York Zhao <gtdplatform@gmail.com> wrote:

> > What is your version of Emacs and Org-mode?
>
> Emacs v23.3.1 on Windows, Org-mode version 7.7 (release_7.7.625.gf18b1)

Does that version exist? I just pulled and I get

Org-mode version 7.7 (release_7.7.624.gda56)

Nick

* Re: "org-time-stamp" and "org-time-stamp-inactive" no longer work
@ 2011-12-09 22:36       ` York Zhao
From: York Zhao @ 2011-12-09 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Does that version exist? I just pulled and I get
>
> Org-mode version 7.7 (release_7.7.624.gda56)

I guess it should be (release_7.7.624.gda56) then because I always have one
commit ahead of the latest which is for my local Makefile configuration. Every
time I pulled, I rebased my commit. Sorry for the confusion.

Thank,

York

* Re: "org-time-stamp" and "org-time-stamp-inactive" no longer work
@ 2011-12-09 23:50         ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-12-09 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: York Zhao; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

York Zhao <gtdplatform@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Does that version exist? I just pulled and I get
> >
> > Org-mode version 7.7 (release_7.7.624.gda56)
>
> I guess it should be (release_7.7.624.gda56) then because I always have one
> commit ahead of the latest which is for my local Makefile configuration. Every
> time I pulled, I rebased my commit. Sorry for the confusion.

Ah, OK - fwiw, I cannot reproduce the problem. I'd suggest you try without
any of your customizations with a minimal .emacs:

    emacs -q -l minimal.emacs

and see if you still have the problem.

Nick

* Re: "org-time-stamp" and "org-time-stamp-inactive" no longer work
@ 2011-12-11 10:19   ` David Maus
From: David Maus @ 2011-12-11 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: York Zhao, emacs-orgmode

At Fri, 09 Dec 2011 20:49:36 +0100,
Bastien wrote:

> Hi,
>
> York Zhao <gtdplatform@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I have noticed this problem for awhile and now I think it is worth reporting it
> > and hopefully get fixed.
> >
> > Here is what happened when I hit "C-c !" in org buffer:
>
> I can't reproduce this.

Me neither.

Matt reported a similar problem in

<http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/41336/focus=41341>

But it seems the problem just ... fixed itself:

,----
| However, oddly, after experiencing the same issue about 6 times in a
| row, the problem mysteriously disappeared just now, and the procedure
| is working fine.  I have no idea what the issue is there -- I'll
| report when I find it again.  Maybe someone on the list can give me
| suggestions for debugging if it shows up again?
`----

To narrow down the bug it might be helpful to:

 1. Try to reproduce the bug with a minimal setup, just Emacs +
     uncompiled Org mode;

 2. If this is possible, see if it occurrs if the calendar buffer is
    already open (e.g. M-x calendar RET) -- maybe this is some kind of
    a weird race condition (?).

Best,
  -- David
--
OpenPGP... 0x99ADB83B5A4478E6
Jabber.... dmjena@jabber.org

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 230 bytes --]

* Re: "org-time-stamp" and "org-time-stamp-inactive" no longer work
@ 2011-12-13 19:38     ` York Zhao
From: York Zhao @ 2011-12-13 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Matt reported a similar problem in
>
> <http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/41336/focus=41341>
>
> But it seems the problem just ... fixed itself:
>
> ,----
> | However, oddly, after experiencing the same issue about 6 times in a
> | row, the problem mysteriously disappeared just now, and the procedure
> | is working fine.  I have no idea what the issue is there -- I'll
> | report when I find it again.  Maybe someone on the list can give me
> | suggestions for debugging if it shows up again?
> `----

Thanks for the help David and Nick, I would say that my problem looks extremely
similar (if not exactly the same) like Matt had reported.

>  1. Try to reproduce the bug with a minimal setup, just Emacs +
>     uncompiled Org mode;

I will try this at some point.

>  2. If this is possible, see if it occurrs if the calendar buffer is
>    already open (e.g. M-x calendar RET) -- maybe this is some kind of
>    a weird race condition (?).

I'm sure there was no calendar buffer pre-existing. The wield thing is that
whenever this problem happens, the contents of my other buffer would be replaced
with the calendar while the name of the buffer kept unchanged.

Thanks,

York

* Re: "org-time-stamp" and "org-time-stamp-inactive" no longer work
@ 2011-12-22 16:29       ` York Zhao
From: York Zhao @ 2011-12-22 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>> Matt reported a similar problem in
>>
>> <http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/41336/focus=41341>
>>
>> But it seems the problem just ... fixed itself:
>>
>> ,----
>> | However, oddly, after experiencing the same issue about 6 times in a
>> | row, the problem mysteriously disappeared just now, and the procedure
>> | is working fine.  I have no idea what the issue is there -- I'll
>> | report when I find it again.  Maybe someone on the list can give me
>> | suggestions for debugging if it shows up again?
>> `----
>
> Thanks for the help David and Nick, I would say that my problem looks extremely
> similar (if not exactly the same) like Matt had reported.
>
>>  1. Try to reproduce the bug with a minimal setup, just Emacs +
>>     uncompiled Org mode;
>
> I will try this at some point.
>
>>  2. If this is possible, see if it occurrs if the calendar buffer is
>>    already open (e.g. M-x calendar RET) -- maybe this is some kind of
>>    a weird race condition (?).
>
> I'm sure there was no calendar buffer pre-existing. The wield thing is that
> whenever this problem happens, the contents of my other buffer would be replaced
> with the calendar while the name of the buffer kept unchanged.

To keep this list updated, I just upgraded to the latest Emacs from git,
compiled and linked using mingw and this problem no longer exists. Thank you all
for your help and merry Christmas.

York

* Re: "org-time-stamp" and "org-time-stamp-inactive" no longer work
@ 2011-12-23 12:52         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-12-23 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: York Zhao; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi York,

York Zhao <gtdplatform@gmail.com> writes:

> To keep this list updated, I just upgraded to the latest Emacs from git,
> compiled and linked using mingw and this problem no longer exists. Thank you all
> for your help and merry Christmas.

Thanks for the update!

--
 Bastien

* Re: "org-time-stamp" and "org-time-stamp-inactive" no longer work
@ 2011-12-23 23:19           ` York Zhao
From: York Zhao @ 2011-12-23 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

>> To keep this list updated, I just upgraded to the latest Emacs from git,
>> compiled and linked using mingw and this problem no longer exists. Thank you all
>> for your help and merry Christmas.
>
> Thanks for the update!
>
> --
>  Bastien

You are welcome Bastien and Merry Christmas.

York