* How are people handling their calendars?
@ 2016-10-23 23:36 Tristan Strange
                   ` (6 more replies)
From: Tristan Strange @ 2016-10-23 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

The world of calendars is a murky one isn't it? After a couple of weeks of
fiddling around I finally decided I'd keep my TODO's, deadlines, etc in a
TODO.org and have org-gcal fetch (note not synchronise) my calendar from
Google.

That way I do all my daily TODO mangling in orgmode, edit calendar when on
Desktop or Mobile and pull results in to org agenda for easier viewing.

So how do you lot handle your calendars?

Do any of you have a working two way set up with CalDAV or anything?

Cheers,
Tristan

* Re: How are people handling their calendars?
@ 2016-10-24  4:20 ` zv
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: zv @ 2016-10-24  4:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 10/23/2016 04:36 PM, Tristan Strange wrote:
> The world of calendars is a murky one isn't it? After a couple of weeks of fiddling around I finally decided I'd keep my TODO's, deadlines, etc in a TODO.org and have org-gcal fetch (note not synchronise) my calendar from Google.
>
> That way I do all my daily TODO mangling in orgmode, edit calendar when on Desktop or Mobile and pull results in to org agenda for easier viewing.
>
> So how do you lot handle your calendars?
>
> Do any of you have a working two way set up with CalDAV or anything?
>
> Cheers,
> Tristan
I was curious about this question as well earlier this week. I wasn't able to find anything concrete but having the ability to integrate multiple Google Calendars, CalDAV or Thunderbird calendars would be fantastic.

* Re: How are people handling their calendars?
@ 2016-10-24  5:10   ` B.V. Raghav
From: B.V. Raghav @ 2016-10-24  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

zv <zv@nxvr.org> writes:

> On 10/23/2016 04:36 PM, Tristan Strange wrote:
>> The world of calendars is a murky one isn't it? After a couple of
>> weeks of fiddling around I finally decided I'd keep my TODO's,
>> deadlines, etc in a TODO.org and have org-gcal fetch (note not
>> synchronise) my calendar from Google.
>>
>> That way I do all my daily TODO mangling in orgmode, edit calendar
>> when on Desktop or Mobile and pull results in to org agenda for
>> easier viewing.
>>
>> So how do you lot handle your calendars?
>>
>> Do any of you have a working two way set up with CalDAV or anything?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Tristan
> I was curious about this question as well earlier this week. I wasn't
> able to find anything concrete but having the ability to integrate
> multiple Google Calendars, CalDAV or Thunderbird calendars would be
> fantastic.

Plus one for the question. The data interchange, I agree, is crucial for
collaboration with the not-so-Emacs-literate world.

--
Raghav

* Re: How are people handling their calendars?
@ 2016-10-24  6:07 ` Eric Abrahamsen
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2016-10-24  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Tristan Strange <tristan.strange@gmail.com> writes:

> The world of calendars is a murky one isn't it? After a couple of
> weeks of fiddling around I finally decided I'd keep my TODO's,
> deadlines, etc in a TODO.org and have org-gcal fetch (note not
> synchronise) my calendar from Google.
>
> That way I do all my daily TODO mangling in orgmode, edit calendar
> when on Desktop or Mobile and pull results in to org agenda for easier
> viewing.
>
> So how do you lot handle your calendars?
>
> Do any of you have a working two way set up with CalDAV or anything?

I use the org-caldav package, and that works quite well for two-way
sync. You can use sync multiple calendars, selecting by tags, etc.

The only trouble I had was using a radicale server, which seemed to
expose a bug in xml.el. That's bug 23440, which has a patch that fixes
the problem. The patch hasn't actually been integrated into Emacs, but I
suppose will eventually.

* Re: How are people handling their calendars?
@ 2016-10-24  6:38   ` Saša Janiška
From: Saša Janiška @ 2016-10-24  6:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> I use the org-caldav package, and that works quite well for two-way
> sync. You can use sync multiple calendars, selecting by tags, etc.

I did use org-caldav to sync my phone contacts (DAVdroid) via ownCloud
with my desktop (khal/vdirsyncer), but, as confirmed by
https://github.com/dengste/org-caldav/issues/51 it does not work any
longer (I’ve a need to use 4 different calendars).

So, I’d be very happy to hear if you can sync multiple calendars with
newer versions of Emacs?

Sincerely,
Gour

--
One must deliver himself with the help of his mind, and not
degrade himself. The mind is the friend of the conditioned soul,

* Re: How are people handling their calendars?
@ 2016-10-24  7:06     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2016-10-24  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Saša Janiška <gour@atmarama.com> writes:

>> I use the org-caldav package, and that works quite well for two-way
>> sync. You can use sync multiple calendars, selecting by tags, etc.
>
> I did use org-caldav to sync my phone contacts (DAVdroid) via ownCloud
> with my desktop (khal/vdirsyncer), but, as confirmed by
> https://github.com/dengste/org-caldav/issues/51 it does not work any
> longer (I’ve a need to use 4 different calendars).
>
> So, I’d be very happy to hear if you can sync multiple calendars with
> newer versions of Emacs?

No, I actually haven't tried it, but I was going to soon, so this is
good information!

org-caldav is otherwise a good, solid package, and I think it would be a
shame to turn away from it because of a bug like this. I know David
isn't super active with this package, but he's taken pull requests in
the past. Maybe someone else can tackle this bug?

* Re: How are people handling their calendars?
@ 2016-10-24 10:02 ` Samuel Loury
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Samuel Loury @ 2016-10-24 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tristan Strange, emacs-orgmode

Tristan Strange <tristan.strange@gmail.com> writes:

> The world of calendars is a murky one isn't it? After a couple of weeks of
> fiddling around I finally decided I'd keep my TODO's, deadlines, etc in a
> TODO.org and have org-gcal fetch (note not synchronise) my calendar from
> Google.
>
> That way I do all my daily TODO mangling in orgmode, edit calendar when on
> Desktop or Mobile and pull results in to org agenda for easier viewing.
>
> So how do you lot handle your calendars?

The same way you do :-).

> Do any of you have a working two way set up with CalDAV or anything?

So far, I never managed to have a two way sync working correctly, or at
least without being too intrusive.

--
Konubinix
GPG Key    : 7439106A

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: How are people handling their calendars?
@ 2016-10-24 11:20       ` Saša Janiška
From: Saša Janiška @ 2016-10-24 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> org-caldav is otherwise a good, solid package, and I think it would be a
> shame to turn away from it because of a bug like this.

Well, at the moment it’s simply not usuable with more than one
calendar. I was using it in the past, but then wondered why my calendar
entries are messed up in my phone’c calendar.

Being relatively new Emacs user I still do not possess required Elisp
skills to fix it, so my current setup is that I simply use khal which is
synced with vdirsyncer to my Android phones and use org-mode for other
tasks not requiring entry on my phone.

Sincerely,
Gour

--
The embodied soul may be restricted from sense enjoyment,
though the taste for sense objects remains. But, ceasing

* Re: How are people handling their calendars?
       [not found] <55f8276ed2d044288dc1602a9a10f9e9@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
@ 2016-10-24 12:20 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2016-10-24 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tristan Strange; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Sunday, 23 Oct 2016 at 23:36, Tristan Strange wrote:
> So how do you lot handle your calendars?

I use mobileorg on Android to synchronise my Google calendar with
org.  This is mostly to make my org calendar visible on my phone and I
seldom input anything directly into the Google calendar and especially
not TODO items.

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 26.0.50.1, Org release_8.3.6-1237-g622f23

* Re: How are people handling their calendars?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-10-24 13:17 ` Daniel Clemente
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Daniel Clemente @ 2016-10-24 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tristan Strange; +Cc: Org-mode Org-Mode

I only tried the visualization part a few days ago, by exporting to
iCalendar (.ics). But the process was too slow: after fixing some export
errors it was still taking more than 1 hour for a large .org file.

After that I wanted to use Iceowl/Lightning (extension to
Icedove/Thunderbird) to open the .ics. But there might be better .ics
browsers (that run in local).

On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 1:36 AM, Tristan Strange <tristan.strange@gmail.com>
wrote:

> The world of calendars is a murky one isn't it? After a couple of weeks of
> fiddling around I finally decided I'd keep my TODO's, deadlines, etc in a
> TODO.org and have org-gcal fetch (note not synchronise) my calendar from
> Google.
>
> That way I do all my daily TODO mangling in orgmode, edit calendar when on
> Desktop or Mobile and pull results in to org agenda for easier viewing.
>
> So how do you lot handle your calendars?
>
> Do any of you have a working two way set up with CalDAV or anything?
>
> Cheers,
> Tristan

* Re: How are people handling their calendars?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-10-24 17:27 ` Philip Hudson
       [not found] ` <da1598bae16f4c389f9d6318622c0ad0@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: Philip Hudson @ 2016-10-24 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

I use Eric Fraga's ical2org awk script, with a few tiny tweaks. It's on Worg.

--
Phil Hudson                  http://hudson-it.ddns.net
Pretty Good Privacy (PGP) ID: 0x887DCA63

* Re: How are people handling their calendars?
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-10-25  0:49 ` Scott Randby
       [not found] ` <da1598bae16f4c389f9d6318622c0ad0@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: Scott Randby @ 2016-10-25  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 10/23/2016 07:36 PM, Tristan Strange wrote:
> The world of calendars is a murky one isn't it? After a couple of weeks
> of fiddling around I finally decided I'd keep my TODO's, deadlines, etc
> in a TODO.org and have org-gcal fetch (note not synchronise) my calendar
> from Google.
>
> That way I do all my daily TODO mangling in orgmode, edit calendar when
> on Desktop or Mobile and pull results in to org agenda for easier viewing.
>
> So how do you lot handle your calendars?

Since I lack the knowledge that appears to be needed to get calendar
syncing to work, my need for a calendar on my phone is limited, and it
pains me greatly to make any changes to my calendar outside of org, I
have a very primitive system for transferring my calendar to my phone.

Whenever I make a change to my calendar on my laptop, I open the agenda
to show the month which contains the change, export that month to an
html file (with a name like 2016-10.html), and upload the html file to
my phone via Bluetooth. The html file looks good when I open it on my
Android phone and I don't have to carry my laptop everywhere.

At first, I used Dropbox instead of transferring via Bluetooth, but the
Android Dropbox app has permission to take over your phone and that
worried me (I have all the Google apps except one turned off on my
phone). I like the fact that I don't have to connect to the Internet to
transfer the calendar to the phone.

Yes, this system is embarrassingly simple and it has no features that
many would want to have, but I don't need those features. All I need is
to be able to look at my calendar when I don't have my laptop, and this
system allows me to do that.

Scott Randby

@ 2016-10-25  5:34         ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2016-10-25  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Okay, will put it on my short list :)

@ 2016-10-25  9:59   ` Eric S Fraga
       [not found]     ` <21ce04ca420949f3bbc7c34f027a80ed@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2016-10-25  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Randby; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Tuesday, 25 Oct 2016 at 00:49, Scott Randby wrote:
> Since I lack the knowledge that appears to be needed to get calendar
> syncing to work, my need for a calendar on my phone is limited, and it
> pains me greatly to make any changes to my calendar outside of org, I
> have a very primitive system for transferring my calendar to my phone.
>
> Whenever I make a change to my calendar on my laptop, I open the agenda
> to show the month which contains the change, export that month to an
> html file (with a name like 2016-10.html), and upload the html file to

Curiosity: how do you export the agenda month view to HTML?

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.90.1, Org release_8.3.3-535-g7213aa

* Re: How are people handling their calendars?
@ 2016-10-25 10:49 Bartholomaios Edessa
From: Bartholomaios Edessa @ 2016-10-25 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

We should be able to use some existing integration like Gnome online
accounts (https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GnomeOnlineAccounts)

and something like org-gnome (
https://github.com/NicolasPetton/org-gnome.el/blob/master/org-gnome.el)

to export the org agenda into a format that gnome calendar can understand
and forward it to google calendar. Maybe we will get full two-way sync as
well.

This should be doable - at least for Gnome.

@ 2016-10-25 11:09 ` Saša Janiška
From: Saša Janiška @ 2016-10-25 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bartholomaios Edessa <bartholomaios.edessa@gmail.com> writes:

> to export the org agenda into a format that gnome calendar can
> understand and forward it to google calendar. Maybe we will get full
> two-way sync as well.
>
> This should be doable - at least for Gnome.

Considering that org-caldav *worked* very nicely with several calendars,
I believe it would be easier to fix this one
https://github.com/dengste/org-caldav/issues/51 since it is ’universal’
solution and one can see synced calendars even on GNOME (within
Evolution and/or GNOME’s calendar).

Of course, if/when acquringing required skills, I’ll also try to take a
look since it’s the simplest/best solution.

Sincerely,
Gour

--
A person who is not disturbed by the incessant flow of
desires — that enter like rivers into the ocean, which is

* Re: How are people handling their calendars?
@ 2016-10-25 15:31     ` Scott Randby
       [not found]     ` <21ce04ca420949f3bbc7c34f027a80ed@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: Scott Randby @ 2016-10-25 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On 10/25/2016 05:59 AM, Eric S Fraga wrote:
> On Tuesday, 25 Oct 2016 at 00:49, Scott Randby wrote:
>> Since I lack the knowledge that appears to be needed to get calendar
>> syncing to work, my need for a calendar on my phone is limited, and it
>> pains me greatly to make any changes to my calendar outside of org, I
>> have a very primitive system for transferring my calendar to my phone.
>>
>> Whenever I make a change to my calendar on my laptop, I open the agenda
>> to show the month which contains the change, export that month to an
>> html file (with a name like 2016-10.html), and upload the html file to
>
> Curiosity: how do you export the agenda month view to HTML?

I'll just give all the commands even though some of them are known to
all org users. This is a totally manual process because I don't have
time to learn how to automate it.

1. Open the agenda: C-c a

2. Switch to month view: v m

3. Navigate to the desired month. Initially, I had to export every
month during which I had stuff on my calendar, but now I just update a
month when I make a change.

4. Export to html: C-x C-w

To export to html, you need to use the .html extension when you name
the file. You can export to other file formats, but the html export is
really nice. See the Exporting Agenda Views section of the manual for
more information.

Scott

* Re: How are people handling their calendars?
@ 2016-10-25 16:26 Bala Ramadurai
From: Bala Ramadurai @ 2016-10-25 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hello All,
  Interesting question indeed! I had tried a whole bunch of options, but
gave up on each of those because of some kind of conflicting requirements.

Option 1: MobileOrg. Works well, but sharing particular events is tricky.
Served me the longest along with Zapier app integrations
Option 2: export to ICS and share on dropbox as a URL. Then import the URL
into google calendar as a separate calendar. I made two calendars - one for
sharing and one for personal. Since the sharing was mainly with my wife, I
set up her mobile so that it shows up the event from the shared calendar.
Limitation - she couldn't edit the event on her own.
Option 3: My latest - org-gcal. I finally figured out how to use it. Now, I
use it to sync 2 calendars. Still a bit quirky, but on the whole it works
well. I would have loved it if org-gcal could pick up scheduled items from
the middle of the org file. instead, now I have a dedicated org file for
events. Since, this syncs pretty well. My wife can edit events as well.
Only limitation is that the tokens have to refreshed once in a while. I am
still figuring out my review process based on the new setup.

I didn't use the DAV option, neither did I use the awk script. calfw is
very different from org-agenda, so I find it a bit clunky for my needs and
style.

I would love to hear more options from the group.

Have a great day!
Bala

http://balaramadurai.net

--
http://balaramadurai.net

@ 2016-10-25 19:50       ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2016-10-25 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Randby; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Tuesday, 25 Oct 2016 at 15:31, Scott Randby wrote:

[...]

> 4. Export to html: C-x C-w

Ahhh, thanks.  org-agenda-write.  I'd forgotten about this
command.  Very useful.

--

@ 2016-10-26 18:42           ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2016-10-26 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Okay, will put it on my short list :)

I just tried this with a basic two-calendar setup, and it seemed to work
fine. I'm using emacs from git, org-plus-contrib from elpa, and
org-caldav from elpa.

I didn't use the :agenda-skip-function, was that what was causing the
bug? What actually /was/ the bug?

Eric