* bug report: + is not escaped in org-link-escape
@ 2017-12-07  4:38 dmg
From: dmg @ 2017-12-07  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

hi everybody,

I am running 9.0.10.

org-link-escape only replaces space, [, ], and %

but search in google/gmail is replacing + also.

The simplest solution is to add 43 to org-link-escape-chars:

   org-link-escape-chars is a variable defined in ‘org.el’.
   Its value is (32 91 93 37)

  This variable may be risky if used as a file-local variable.

I use org-link-escape to jump from an email in gnus to gmail by searching
the message-id. But if when the message-id contains +, this character
must be escaped.

thank you,

--
--dmg

---
Daniel M. German
http://turingmachine.org

* Re: bug report: + is not escaped in org-link-escape
@ 2017-12-10 21:57 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2017-12-10 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dmg; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

dmg <dmg@turingmachine.org> writes:

> org-link-escape only replaces space, [, ], and %
>
> but search in google/gmail is replacing + also.
>
> The simplest solution is to add 43 to org-link-escape-chars:
>
>    org-link-escape-chars is a variable defined in ‘org.el’.
>    Its value is (32 91 93 37)
>
>   This variable may be risky if used as a file-local variable.

`org-link-escape' is for internal links, not for general URL-encoding.
You may want to use `url-encode-url' instead.

> I use org-link-escape to jump from an email in gnus to gmail by searching
> the message-id. But if when the message-id contains +, this character
> must be escaped.

See above.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: bug report: + is not escaped in org-link-escape
@ 2017-12-11  0:13   ` D M German
From: D M German @ 2017-12-11  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Nicolas Goaziou twisted the bytes to say:

 Nicolas> Hello,
 Nicolas> dmg <dmg@turingmachine.org> writes:

 >> org-link-escape only replaces space, [, ], and %
 >>
 >> but search in google/gmail is replacing + also.
 >>
 >> The simplest solution is to add 43 to org-link-escape-chars:
 >>
 >> org-link-escape-chars is a variable defined in ‘org.el’.
 >> Its value is (32 91 93 37)
 >>
 >> This variable may be risky if used as a file-local variable.

 Nicolas> `org-link-escape' is for internal links, not for general URL-encoding.
 Nicolas> You may want to use `url-encode-url' instead.

this indeed addresses the issue I was having.

thank you very much for your response.

--daniel

--
Daniel M. German                  "It is useless to punish a man
                                   unless he knows why he is punished...