* Is it normal for 'Org Cycle Hook' to be "CHANGED outside Customize" by '(require 'org-inlinetask)'
@ 2018-05-22 20:07 Alain.Cochard
From: Alain.Cochard @ 2018-05-22 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

Hello --

I run:

  emacs -Q -l mini-init.el

with mini-init.el being

  (add-to-list 'load-path "/home/cochard/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20180521/")
  (require 'org-inlinetask)

Then I do 'M-x customize-group <RET> org <RET>', then search for
'cycle', go to 'Org Cycle Hook', and see:

  Hide Org Cycle Hook:
  INS DEL org-inlinetask-hide-tasks
  INS DEL org-cycle-hide-archived-subtrees
  INS DEL org-cycle-hide-drawers
  INS DEL org-cycle-show-empty-lines
  INS DEL org-optimize-window-after-visibility-change
  INS
      State : CHANGED outside Customize. <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

By comparing with the same test but without the (require
'org-inlinetask) instruction in the mini-init.el file, I infer
(correctly I hope) that, somehow, org-inlinetask has modified 'Org
Cycle Hook' by introducing org-inlinetask-hide-tasks.

In retrospect, this makes some sense, but it was /very/ painful for me
to track.  For me, a customization was something explicitly changed by
the user, not implicitly with a 'require', so, when wandering inside
the customize group and noticing this variable "CHANGED outside
Customize", I wanted to find where I could have changed it so as to
make my .emacs cleaner...

So I repeat the question: is it normal that '(require
'org-inlinetask)' changes 'Org Cycle Hook'.

Note that this issue is not present without the 'add-to-list'
instruction in the mini-init.el file, that is, with org-version 8.2 on
my system -- 'Org Cycle Hook' is not changed.

Regards

--
EOST (École et Observatoire des Sciences de la Terre)
IPG (Institut de Physique du Globe) | alain.cochard@unistra.fr

* Re: Is it normal for 'Org Cycle Hook' to be "CHANGED outside Customize" by '(require 'org-inlinetask)'
@ 2018-05-26 11:01 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2018-05-26 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alain.Cochard; +Cc: org-mode

Hello,

Alain.Cochard@unistra.fr writes:

> Hello --
>
> I run:
>
>   emacs -Q -l mini-init.el
>
> with mini-init.el being
>
>   (add-to-list 'load-path "/home/cochard/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20180521/")
>   (require 'org-inlinetask)
>
> Then I do 'M-x customize-group <RET> org <RET>', then search for
> 'cycle', go to 'Org Cycle Hook', and see:
>
>   Hide Org Cycle Hook:
>   INS DEL org-inlinetask-hide-tasks
>   INS DEL org-cycle-hide-archived-subtrees
>   INS DEL org-cycle-hide-drawers
>   INS DEL org-cycle-show-empty-lines
>   INS DEL org-optimize-window-after-visibility-change
>   INS
>       State : CHANGED outside Customize. <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
>
> By comparing with the same test but without the (require
> 'org-inlinetask) instruction in the mini-init.el file, I infer
> (correctly I hope) that, somehow, org-inlinetask has modified 'Org
> Cycle Hook' by introducing org-inlinetask-hide-tasks.
>
> In retrospect, this makes some sense, but it was /very/ painful for me
> to track.  For me, a customization was something explicitly changed by
> the user, not implicitly with a 'require', so, when wandering inside
> the customize group and noticing this variable "CHANGED outside
> Customize", I wanted to find where I could have changed it so as to
> make my .emacs cleaner...
>
> So I repeat the question: is it normal that '(require
> 'org-inlinetask)' changes 'Org Cycle Hook'.

This is not optimal, but it does the job.

Anyway, inlinetasks integration is currently under discussion. So this
may change in the future.

Nicolas Goaziou