* [ANM] org-timeblock: Schedule your day visually, using timeblocking technique inside Emacs
@ 2023-07-31 18:08 Ilya Chernyshov
From: Ilya Chernyshov @ 2023-07-31 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi! I wrote a package that provides interactive day view for orgmode
tasks. With this package you can visually understand your day schedule
and quickly reschedule your tasks and events. Essentially, this is what
modern calendars provide, although my package currently only provides
day view.

The package works entirely inside Emacs.

https://github.com/ichernyshovvv/org-timeblock/

A couple of screenshots:

1. https://github.com/ichernyshovvv/org-timeblock/raw/master/screenshots/org-timeblock.png
2. https://github.com/ichernyshovvv/org-timeblock/raw/master/screenshots/org-timeblock-with-list.png

Screencast. The video itself merely shows how the package works and how
one could quickly operate on his day plan. So, it's not so
informative. See README file in the repo to find out how to start using
it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuMcPotV71I

If you have any suggestions, ideas or whatever, please leave comments
here or post on github issues. Also, pull requests are welcome.

* Re: [ANM] org-timeblock: Schedule your day visually, using timeblocking technique inside Emacs
@ 2023-08-01  8:07 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-08-01  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ilya Chernyshov; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Ilya Chernyshov <ichernyshovvv@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi! I wrote a package that provides interactive day view for orgmode
> tasks. With this package you can visually understand your day schedule
> and quickly reschedule your tasks and events. Essentially, this is what
> modern calendars provide, although my package currently only provides
> day view.
>
> The package works entirely inside Emacs.

Thanks for sharing!

As I mentioned in Matrix chat, it would be nice if you could integrate
the svg image display into Org agenda as minor mode, displaying the
interactive svg in place of the time grid. That would be a welcome
addition to Org core.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: [ANM] org-timeblock: Schedule your day visually, using timeblocking technique inside Emacs
@ 2023-08-09 15:17   ` Ilya Chernyshov
From: Ilya Chernyshov @ 2023-08-09 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Thanks for sharing!
>
> As I mentioned in Matrix chat, it would be nice if you could integrate
> the svg image display into Org agenda as minor mode, displaying the
> interactive svg in place of the time grid. That would be a welcome
> addition to Org core.

It's a great idea. I see that the package could provide minor
and major modes. The minor mode could provide an interactive sliced SVG
image inside org-agenda buffer and the major mode might be implemented in
the same way it's implemented in the package.

I would be interested to hear other devs' opinion on that.

* Re: [ANM] org-timeblock: Schedule your day visually, using timeblocking technique inside Emacs
@ 2023-08-09 16:58     ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2023-08-09 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ilya Chernyshov; +Cc: Ihor Radchenko, emacs-orgmode

    > Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> writes:
    >> Thanks for sharing!
    >>
    >> As I mentioned in Matrix chat, it would be nice if you could
    >> integrate the svg image display into Org agenda as minor mode,
    >> displaying the interactive svg in place of the time grid. That
    >> would be a welcome addition to Org core.

    > It's a great idea.

Not for emacs -nw.

* Re: [ANM] org-timeblock: Schedule your day visually, using timeblocking technique inside Emacs
@ 2023-08-09 17:57       ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-08-09 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: m43cap; +Cc: Ilya Chernyshov, emacs-orgmode

Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> writes:

>     >> As I mentioned in Matrix chat, it would be nice if you could
>     >> integrate the svg image display into Org agenda as minor mode,
>     >> displaying the interactive svg in place of the time grid. That
>     >> would be a welcome addition to Org core.
>
>     > It's a great idea.
>
> Not for emacs -nw.

Sure. It got to be graphics-only optional feature.
For text-only, we will still have the usual agenda timegrid.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: [ANM] org-timeblock: Schedule your day visually, using timeblocking technique inside Emacs
@ 2023-08-10 10:52     ` Fraga, Eric
From: Fraga, Eric @ 2023-08-10 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ilya Chernyshov; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I'm late to this and I don't have the full thread on my system so
apologies if this has been asked before.

When I try

M-x package-vc-install RET https://github.com/ichernyshovvv/org-timeblock/

according to the instructions given at the gitlab repository, I get an
error:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Version must be a string")
  error("Version must be a string")
  version-to-list((0))
  package-vc--unpack-1(#s(package-desc :name org-timeblock :version nil :summary "No description available." :reqs nil :kind vc :archive nil :dir "/home/ucecesf/.emacs.d/elpa,v30/org-timeblock/" :extras nil :signed nil) "/home/ucecesf/.emacs.d/elpa,v30/org-timeblock/")
  package-vc--unpack(#s(package-desc :name org-timeblock :version nil :summary "No description available." :reqs nil :kind vc :archive nil :dir "/home/ucecesf/.emacs.d/elpa,v30/org-timeblock/" :extras nil :signed nil) (:vc-backend Git :url "https://github.com/ichernyshovvv/org-timeblock/") nil)
  package-vc-install("https://github.com/ichernyshovvv/org-timeblock/" nil nil org-timeblock)
  funcall-interactively(package-vc-install "https://github.com/ichernyshovvv/org-timeblock/" nil nil org-timeblock)
  command-execute(package-vc-install record)
  execute-extended-command(nil "package-vc-install" nil)
  funcall-interactively(execute-extended-command nil "package-vc-install" nil)
  command-execute(execute-extended-command)

This may be an issue with Emacs itself or my configuration, as opposed
to org-timeblock, of course.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thank you,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga, with org release_9.6.7-603-g28b6a2 in Emacs 30.0.50

* Re: [ANM] org-timeblock: Schedule your day visually, using timeblocking technique inside Emacs
@ 2023-08-10 12:46       ` Ilya Chernyshov
From: Ilya Chernyshov @ 2023-08-10 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fraga, Eric; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"Fraga, Eric" <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm late to this and I don't have the full thread on my system so
> apologies if this has been asked before.
>
> When I try
>
> M-x package-vc-install RET https://github.com/ichernyshovvv/org-timeblock/
>
> according to the instructions given at the gitlab repository, I get an
> error:

> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Version must be a string")
>   error("Version must be a string")
>   version-to-list((0))

Hi

You got this error because in the Package-Requires header of the package
there were packages without explicitly set versions. Maybe it's a bug, I
don't know. As far as I know, it's acceptable to not define specific
version of a dependency. Anyway, I've fixed that issue in the last
commit. Please, try again.

* Re: [ANM] org-timeblock: Schedule your day visually, using timeblocking technique inside Emacs
@ 2023-08-10 12:50       ` Ilya Chernyshov
From: Ilya Chernyshov @ 2023-08-10 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fraga, Eric; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

@ 2023-08-10 13:22         ` Fraga, Eric
From: Fraga, Eric @ 2023-08-10 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ilya Chernyshov; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thursday, 10 Aug 2023 at 19:50, Ilya Chernyshov wrote:
> You got this error because in the Package-Requires header of the package
> there were packages without explicitly set versions. Maybe it's a bug, I
> don't know. As far as I know, it's acceptable to not define specific
> version of a dependency. Anyway, I've fixed that issue in the last
> commit. Please, try again.

I have tried again and now it installs.  Thank you.  I do get many
errors when trying to navigate to different dates and/or scroll up/down
in the current date being viewed.

For instance, I get the following in trying org-timeblock a second time
in the current Emacs:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument stringp org-timeblock-order<)
  org-timeblock-redraw-buffers()
  org-timeblock()
  funcall-interactively(org-timeblock)
  command-execute(org-timeblock record)
  execute-extended-command(nil "org-timeblock" nil)
  funcall-interactively(execute-extended-command nil "org-timeblock" nil)

@ 2023-08-10 14:17           ` Ilya Chernyshov
From: Ilya Chernyshov @ 2023-08-10 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fraga, Eric; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"Fraga, Eric" <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

> I have tried again and now it installs.  Thank you.  I do get many
> errors when trying to navigate to different dates and/or scroll up/down
> in the current date being viewed.
>
> For instance, I get the following in trying org-timeblock a second time
> in the current Emacs:

You are not the first person getting this type of error on Emacs 30. I
don't have any suggestion for you except suggesting release versions of
Emacs (28 or 29). Currently, I'm not planning to maintain the package for master
branch. If you use straight.el though, you can use develop branch of
it. Maybe it'll fix the error.

* Re: [ANM] org-timeblock: Schedule your day visually, using timeblocking technique inside Emacs
@ 2023-08-10 15:03             ` Fraga, Eric
From: Fraga, Eric @ 2023-08-10 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ilya Chernyshov; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thursday, 10 Aug 2023 at 21:17, Ilya Chernyshov wrote:
> You are not the first person getting this type of error on Emacs 30.

Ah, okay, that's reassuring!

> Currently, I'm not planning to maintain the package for master branch.

Okay, that's fine.  Thank you.

--
: Eric S Fraga, with org release_9.6.7-603-g28b6a2 in Emacs 30.0.50

* Re: [ANM] org-timeblock: Schedule your day visually, using timeblocking technique inside Emacs
@ 2023-08-29 12:30 ` Ilya Chernyshov
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Ilya Chernyshov @ 2023-08-29 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Ilya Chernyshov <ichernyshovvv@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi! I wrote a package that provides interactive day view for orgmode
> tasks. With this package you can visually understand your day schedule
> and quickly reschedule your tasks and events. Essentially, this is what
> modern calendars provide, although my package currently only provides
> day view.

Hi

Recently, I implemented multi-day views feature for org-timeblock. You
can now choose the number of days (1-7) displayed via command
org-timeblock-switch-view. Here's a screenshot:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ichernyshovvv/org-timeblock/master/screenshots/multi-day-view.png

Quick video demo of multi-day views: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOkRw03Wg3o

Link: https://github.com/ichernyshovvv/org-timeblock

* [ANN] org-timeblock: Multi-day views
@ 2023-08-29 14:34   ` Ilya Chernyshov
From: Ilya Chernyshov @ 2023-08-29 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

[Changed the subject]

* Re: [ANM] org-timeblock: Schedule your day visually, using timeblocking technique inside Emacs
@ 2023-08-29 15:05   ` Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide @ 2023-08-29 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ilya Chernyshov; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Ilya Chernyshov <ichernyshovvv@gmail.com> writes:

> Recently, I implemented multi-day views feature for org-timeblock. You
> can now choose the number of days (1-7) displayed via command
> org-timeblock-switch-view. Here's a screenshot:
>
> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ichernyshovvv/org-timeblock/master/screenshots/multi-day-view.png

Wow, that looks nice!

> Quick video demo of multi-day views: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOkRw03Wg3o
>
> Link: https://github.com/ichernyshovvv/org-timeblock

If you want to provide a print-export (i.e. for hanging on the door of a
lecture room), you could see whether it’s easy to translate it to a
latex time table like this:
https://hg.sr.ht/~arnebab/stundenplan-wochenplan/browse/stundenplan-7days.tex?rev=tip
https://www.draketo.de/software/stundenplan.pdf
https://www.draketo.de/software/stundenplan-wochenplan-latex

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Unpolitisch sein
heißt politisch sein,

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [ANM] org-timeblock: Schedule your day visually, using timeblocking technique inside Emacs
@ 2023-08-30 10:10     ` Ilya Chernyshov
From: Ilya Chernyshov @ 2023-08-30 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide" <arne_bab@web.de> writes:

> Wow, that looks nice!

Thank you!

> If you want to provide a print-export (i.e. for hanging on the door of a
> lecture room), you could see whether it’s easy to translate it to a
> latex time table like this:
> https://hg.sr.ht/~arnebab/stundenplan-wochenplan/browse/stundenplan-7days.tex?rev=tip
> https://www.draketo.de/software/stundenplan.pdf
> https://www.draketo.de/software/stundenplan-wochenplan-latex

I don't understand why I need latex for this. Today I added command
org-timeblock-write (bound to [w]) which you can use now to write
org-timeblock buffer to SVG|PDF|PNG file. However, inkscape has to be
installed in your system.

* Re: [ANM] org-timeblock: Schedule your day visually, using timeblocking technique inside Emacs
@ 2023-08-30 10:33       ` Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide @ 2023-08-30 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ilya Chernyshov; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Ilya Chernyshov <ichernyshovvv@gmail.com> writes:

> I don't understand why I need latex for this. Today I added command
> org-timeblock-write (bound to [w]) which you can use now to write
> org-timeblock buffer to SVG|PDF|PNG file. However, inkscape has to be
> installed in your system.

That’s just for print-quality, but outputting via inkscape should
provide similar quality for the usecase.

Building on existing LaTeX packages was just to not have to implement
the PDF layout yourself, but exporting what’s defined directly sounds
better — thank you!

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Unpolitisch sein
heißt politisch sein,

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [ANM] org-timeblock: Schedule your day visually, using timeblocking technique inside Emacs
@ 2023-09-03  5:14   ` Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide @ 2023-09-03  5:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ilya Chernyshov; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Ilya Chernyshov <ichernyshovvv@gmail.com> writes:

> Recently, I implemented multi-day views feature for org-timeblock. You
> can now choose the number of days (1-7) displayed via command
> org-timeblock-switch-view. Here's a screenshot:
>
> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ichernyshovvv/org-timeblock/master/screenshots/multi-day-view.png
>
> Quick video demo of multi-day views: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOkRw03Wg3o
>
> Link: https://github.com/ichernyshovvv/org-timeblock

I started using this, and it’s great! Thank you!

I also found an edge case: I have a deadline set to 23:59, and that
deadline is only visible in the timeblocks when I only have that task in
and switch to hiding all hours before the task (then 23:00 to 0:00 is
large enough that the task shows at the end).

Is there a way to switch the day view to include additional space at the
bottom so tasks at the end of the day are visible?

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Unpolitisch sein
heißt politisch sein,

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [ANN] org-timeblock: Multi-day views
@ 2023-09-05 10:50     ` Ilya Chernyshov
From: Ilya Chernyshov @ 2023-09-05 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide" <arne_bab@web.de> writes:

Hi

> I started using this, and it’s great! Thank you!

Nice to hear!

> I also found an edge case: I have a deadline set to 23:59, and that
> deadline is only visible in the timeblocks when I only have that task in
> and switch to hiding all hours before the task (then 23:00 to 0:00 is
> large enough that the task shows at the end).

Fixed with https://github.com/ichernyshovvv/org-timeblock/commit/fd60ce1

Thank you for noticing it. Please update the package and check if
everything is ok.