* BUG in columns view since 0f93638ce (Jun 2 2015)
@ 2015-08-11 15:10 Johan Sandblom
From: Johan Sandblom @ 2015-08-11 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs orgmode

Consider the attached orgmode file fragment, also included below. Prior
to commit 0f93638ce sums were produced in the top row. After that
commit, column view sums fail. Poor knowledge of git and elisp prevent
me from finding the actual problem, but I did manage to find the first
commit were it fails, and this hopefully helps

* sum
   :PROPERTIES:
   :COLUMNS:  %30ITEM %5A{+} %5B{+}
   :END:
** bla
*** blabla
     :PROPERTIES:
     :A:        1
     :END:
** bli
    :PROPERTIES:
    :A:        1
    :END:

--
Johan Sandblom, MD PhD
m +46735521477

[-- Attachment #2: test.org --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 174 bytes --]

* sum
  :PROPERTIES:
  :COLUMNS:  %30ITEM %5A{+} %5B{+}
  :END:
** bla
*** blabla
    :PROPERTIES:
    :A:        1
    :END:
** bli
   :PROPERTIES:
   :A:        1
   :END:

* Re: BUG in columns view since 0f93638ce (Jun 2 2015)
@ 2015-08-11 17:13 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-08-11 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johan Sandblom; +Cc: Emacs orgmode

Hello,

Johan Sandblom <js@ndblom.se> writes:

> Consider the attached orgmode file fragment, also included below.
> Prior to commit 0f93638ce sums were produced in the top row. After
> that commit, column view sums fail. Poor knowledge of git and elisp
> prevent me from finding the actual problem, but I did manage to find
> the first commit were it fails, and this hopefully helps
>
> * sum
>   :PROPERTIES:
>   :COLUMNS:  %30ITEM %5A{+} %5B{+}
>   :END:
> ** bla
> *** blabla
>     :PROPERTIES:
>     :A:        1
>     :END:
> ** bli
>    :PROPERTIES:
>    :A:        1
>    :END:

This is fixed. Thank you.

Regard,

--
Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: BUG in columns view since 0f93638ce (Jun 2 2015)
@ 2015-08-11 21:53   ` Johan Sandblom
From: Johan Sandblom @ 2015-08-11 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johan Sandblom, Emacs orgmode

> Hello,
>
> Johan Sandblom <js@ndblom.se> writes:
>
>> Consider the attached orgmode file fragment, also included below.
>> Prior to commit 0f93638ce sums were produced in the top row. After
>> that commit, column view sums fail. Poor knowledge of git and elisp
>> prevent me from finding the actual problem, but I did manage to find
>> the first commit were it fails, and this hopefully helps
>>
>> * sum
>>   :PROPERTIES:
>>   :COLUMNS:  %30ITEM %5A{+} %5B{+}
>>   :END:
>> ** bla
>> *** blabla
>>     :PROPERTIES:
>>     :A:        1
>>     :END:
>> ** bli
>>    :PROPERTIES:
>>    :A:        1
>>    :END:
>
> This is fixed. Thank you.

Thank you for your quick reaction. Unfortunately it is still not
perfect. Starting column mode with point on the headline "** bla" makes
the column view end before headline "** bli". Am I right that this is
unintended?

Johan

--

@ 2015-08-11 23:08     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-08-11 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johan Sandblom; +Cc: Emacs orgmode

Johan Sandblom <js@ndblom.se> writes:

> Thank you for your quick reaction. Unfortunately it is still not
> perfect. Starting column mode with point on the headline "** bla"
> makes the column view end before headline "** bli". Am I right that
> this is unintended?

This is intended. According to the manual[fn:1]

     If the cursor is somewhere inside the outline, this command
     searches the hierarchy, up from point, for a ‘:COLUMNS:’ property
     that defines a format. When one is found, the column view table is
     established for the tree starting at the entry that contains the
     ‘:COLUMNS:’ property.

Regards,

[fn:1] (info "(org) Using column view"), first command.

* Re: BUG in columns view since 0f93638ce (Jun 2 2015)
@ 2015-08-12  6:44       ` Johan Sandblom
From: Johan Sandblom @ 2015-08-12  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs orgmode

> Johan Sandblom <js@ndblom.se> writes:
>
>> Thank you for your quick reaction. Unfortunately it is still not
>> perfect. Starting column mode with point on the headline "** bla"
>> makes the column view end before headline "** bli". Am I right that
>> this is unintended?
>
> This is intended. According to the manual[fn:1]
>
>      If the cursor is somewhere inside the outline, this command
>      searches the hierarchy, up from point, for a ‘:COLUMNS:’
> property
>      that defines a format. When one is found, the column view table
> is
>      established for the tree starting at the entry that contains the
>      ‘:COLUMNS:’ property.
>
> Regards,
>
> [fn:1] (info "(org) Using column view"), first command.

I read that passage differently. The second-level headline ** bli is in
the tree that starts at the first-level headline * sum. The manual does
not state that the column view table is established for the part of the
tree that is between the entry that contains the ´:COLUMNS:´ property
and point. Since it does not mention partial trees at all I assumed the
entire tree starting at the entry was intended.

Johan

--

@ 2015-08-12 12:54         ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-08-12 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johan Sandblom; +Cc: Emacs orgmode

Johan Sandblom <js@ndblom.se> writes:

> I read that passage differently. The second-level headline ** bli is
> in the tree that starts at the first-level headline * sum. The manual
> does not state that the column view table is established for the part
> of the tree that is between the entry that contains the ´:COLUMNS:´
> property and point. Since it does not mention partial trees at all
> I assumed the entire tree starting at the entry was intended.

You are right. This is fixed. Thank you.