* Export ascii-images using ditaa when targeting HTML?
@ 2008-11-06 16:12 Mac
From: Mac @ 2008-11-06 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I would like to convert my ASCII-images inside my document.org before exporting
the document to HTML.

I've found this converter, ditaa, which is a java program that takes an ASCII
text file and creates a png file (http://ditaa.sourceforge.net/).

I intend to find my ASCII figure, save it as a separate text file, and run ditaa
on it. In my document.org I'll comment the ASCII-art so it won't be exported and
add a link so the image will be included in the html file.

[[file:figure_1.png]]
#+BEGIN_COMMENT
                 V,mA

               +-----+
               |40140|
               +-----+

              +--------|4561|----------> PC
              |        +----+
           +----+
           |4060|
           +----+

           Relay Out
#+END_COMMENT

Before reinventing the wheel, anyone done anything similar, or have ideas?

* Re: Export ascii-images using ditaa when targeting HTML?
@ 2008-11-12  1:57 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2008-11-12  1:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mac; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Mac,

That's an interesting utility.

I have been working on an org-mode add-on for the specialized processing
of #+begin_* blocks.  Since this is very similar to the need you
expressed below, I implemented ditaa processing as one of the examples
in the initial implementation of this add-on.

If you want to grab the org-exp-block.el file from

http://github.com/eschulte/org-contrib/tree/master/org-exp-blocks.el

you can use it to export ditaa blocks to images when exporting an org
file to html.  There are instruction in the top of the elisp file,
mainly you just need to load the file, and set `ditaa-jar-path' to the
path to ditaa.jar on your system.  Then if you setup a block like the
following

#+begin_ditaa blue.png -r -S
+---------+
| cBLU    |
|         |
|    +----+
|    |cPNK|
|    |    |
+----+----+
#+end_ditaa

The ascii inside the block will be exported to an image in blue.png
passing any following options as command line options to ditaa.jar.

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers -- Eric

Mac <xmfrw8002@sneakemail.com> writes:

> I would like to convert my ASCII-images inside my document.org before exporting
> the document to HTML.
>
> I've found this converter, ditaa, which is a java program that takes an ASCII
> text file and creates a png file (http://ditaa.sourceforge.net/).
>
> I intend to find my ASCII figure, save it as a separate text file, and run ditaa
> on it. In my document.org I'll comment the ASCII-art so it won't be exported and
> add a link so the image will be included in the html file.
>
> [[file:figure_1.png]]
> #+BEGIN_COMMENT
>                  V,mA
>                +-----+
>                |40140|
>                +-----+
>                   |    +----+
>               +--------|4561|----------> PC
>               |        +----+
>            +----+
>            |4060|
>            +----+
>            Relay Out
> #+END_COMMENT
>
> Before reinventing the wheel, anyone done anything similar, or have ideas?

* Re: Export ascii-images using ditaa when targeting HTML?
@ 2008-11-12  1:59 ` Eric Schulte
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Eric Schulte @ 2008-11-12  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mac; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Mac,

That's an interesting utility.

I have been working on an org-mode add-on for the specialized processing
of #+begin_* blocks.  Since this is very similar to the need you
expressed below, I implemented ditaa processing as one of the examples
in the initial implementation of this add-on.

If you want to grab the org-exp-block.el file from

http://github.com/eschulte/org-contrib/tree/master/org-exp-blocks.el

you can use it to export ditaa blocks to images when exporting an org
file to html.  There are instruction in the top of the elisp file,
mainly you just need to load the file, and set `ditaa-jar-path' to the
path to ditaa.jar on your system.  Then if you setup a block like the
following

#+begin_ditaa blue.png -r -S
+---------+
| cBLU    |
|         |
|    +----+
|    |cPNK|
|    |    |
+----+----+

@ 2008-11-12  6:45   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-11-12  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: Mac, emacs-orgmode

Hi Eric,

may I suggest the following change?

If you allow the format in the block to be like this:

#+begin_ditaa blue.png -r -S
: +---------+
: | cBLU    |
: |         |
: |    +----+
: |    |cPNK|
: |    |    |
: +----+----+
#+end_ditaa

then the ascii images will not be attacked by Org syntax highlighting,
you can use C-c ' to edit them.  All you would need to do is to strip
the initial colon and space when extracting the image for export.

Also, we should add a hok so that your add-on can install special
handlers for C-c ', in order to edit these new blocks.

I like it!

- Carsten

P.S. yes, I should fix Org-modes font-locking stuff so that
it can cover large blocks, but frankly, I do not know how to
do that.

@ 2008-11-12  8:14   ` Mac
From: Mac @ 2008-11-12  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Eric Schulte <schulte.eric <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I have been working on an org-mode add-on for the specialized processing
> of #+begin_* blocks.  Since this is very similar to the need you
> expressed below, I implemented ditaa processing as one of the examples
> in the initial implementation of this add-on.
>
> If you want to grab the org-exp-block.el file from
>
> http://github.com/eschulte/org-contrib/tree/master/org-exp-blocks.el
>
> you can use it to export ditaa blocks to images when exporting an org
> file to html.  There are instruction in the top of the elisp file,
> mainly you just need to load the file, and set `ditaa-jar-path' to the
> path to ditaa.jar on your system.

Thanks, that was almost exactly what I wanted, I'm trying to make three
changes though:

 * First I want to keep the ASCII-image in the original file for easy updating

 * Second, and as a result of the above, I don't automatically include a link
   to the file. I know what's being called so that's no big deal to manually add

 * Third (and here I've not yet succeded) I want to inhibit org-mode from
   exporting the now still lingering ASCII-image.

I've tried using comment blocks, but it does not work. I've just realized that
I don't have the latest org-mode installed, so I'll try again.

My current (non-working) block now looks like this:

[[file:blue.png]]

#+BEGIN_COMMENT
#+begin_ditaa blue.png -r -S
+---------+
| cBLU    |
|         |
|    +----+
|    |cPNK|
|    |    |
+----+----+
#+end_ditaa
#+END_COMMENT

> Hope this is helpful.

It sure is! Thanks!

/Mac

* Re: Export ascii-images using ditaa when targeting HTML?
@ 2008-11-12  9:44     ` Mac
From: Mac @ 2008-11-12  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Mac <xmfrw8002 <at> sneakemail.com> writes:

>  * First I want to keep the ASCII-image in the original file for easy updating
>
>  * Second, and as a result of the above, I don't automatically include a link
>    to the file. I know what's being called so that's no big deal to manually
>    add
>
>  * Third (and here I've not yet succeded) I want to inhibit org-mode from
>    exporting the now still lingering ASCII-image.

I've just found a workaround for the third item, placing it in a subtree and tag
the subtree for export exclusion.

[[file:blue.png]]

** image :noexport:
#+begin_ditaa blue.png -r -S
+---------+
| cBLU    |
|         |
|    +----+
|    |cPNK|
|    |    |
+----+----+
#+end_ditaa

/mac

* Re: Export ascii-images using ditaa when targeting HTML?
@ 2008-11-12  9:53     ` Mac
From: Mac @ 2008-11-12  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik <at> science.uva.nl> writes:

> may I suggest the following change?
>
> If you allow the format in the block to be like this:
>
> #+begin_ditaa blue.png -r -S
> : +---------+
> : | cBLU    |
> : |         |
> : |    +----+
> : |    |cPNK|
> : |    |    |
> : +----+----+
> #+end_ditaa
>
> then the ascii images will not be attacked by Org syntax highlighting,
> you can use C-c ' to edit them.  All you would need to do is to strip
> the initial colon and space when extracting the image for export.

I like that suggestion!

(I'm already using the colon in my files even though I currently get a dotted
line at the left hand side ;-)

/mac

* Re: Re: Export ascii-images using ditaa when targeting HTML?
@ 2008-11-12 10:00     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-11-12 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mac; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Nov 12, 2008, at 9:14 AM, Mac wrote:

> Eric Schulte <schulte.eric <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I have been working on an org-mode add-on for the specialized
>> processing
>> of #+begin_* blocks.  Since this is very similar to the need you
>> expressed below, I implemented ditaa processing as one of the
>> examples
>> in the initial implementation of this add-on.
>>
>> If you want to grab the org-exp-block.el file from
>>
>> http://github.com/eschulte/org-contrib/tree/master/org-exp-blocks.el
>>
>> you can use it to export ditaa blocks to images when exporting an org
>> file to html.  There are instruction in the top of the elisp file,
>> mainly you just need to load the file, and set `ditaa-jar-path' to
>> the
>> path to ditaa.jar on your system.
>
> Thanks, that was almost exactly what I wanted, I'm trying to make
> three
> changes though:
>
> * First I want to keep the ASCII-image in the original file for easy
> updating
>
> * Second, and as a result of the above, I don't automatically
> include a link
>   to the file. I know what's being called so that's no big deal to
> manually add
>
> * Third (and here I've not yet succeded) I want to inhibit org-mode
> from
>   exporting the now still lingering ASCII-image.

Hi Mac, I don't think I understand.

When I load Eric's code, the ASCII image is not exported.  The png
file is created on the fly and then *replaces* the ASCII drawing in
HTML document - works beautifully for me.

In fact so beautifully that I am asking the author of ditaa if we can
keep a copy in the contrib directory, so that all of this will work
out of the box......

- Carsten

@ 2008-11-12 10:17       ` Mac
From: Mac @ 2008-11-12 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik <at> science.uva.nl> writes:

> Hi Mac, I don't think I understand.
>
> When I load Eric's code, the ASCII image is not exported.  The png
> file is created on the fly and then *replaces* the ASCII drawing in
> HTML document - works beautifully for me.

Hmmmm, I just installed the latest org-mode and restarted emacs and now it works
for me as well...

So, I don't know what i did to it before, but it works now!
I'm happy!

Thanks.

/mac

* Re: Export ascii-images using ditaa when targeting HTML?
@ 2008-11-12 13:54   ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2008-11-12 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Eric,

this is - hey - WOWEEEEEE, GREAT!

But I ran into to problems:

* Background color

  The background of the resulting images is black, and I don't know how
  to change that. Black lines on black background... I tried with
  leading colons and without.

  ditaa has no option to adjust the background color, but if I use ditaa
  from the commandline, the background color is white.

* Existing images

  If the image already exists in the target directory of the export, org
  refuses to overwrite it. Is there an option somewhere I should adjust?
  I don't think it's a general problem in org-export, since I never
  ecnountered this error.

Thanks for org-exp-blocks.el!!

Best,

   Sebastian

"Eric Schulte" <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Mac,
>
> That's an interesting utility.
>
> I have been working on an org-mode add-on for the specialized processing
> of #+begin_* blocks.  Since this is very similar to the need you
> expressed below, I implemented ditaa processing as one of the examples
> in the initial implementation of this add-on.
>
> If you want to grab the org-exp-block.el file from
>
> http://github.com/eschulte/org-contrib/tree/master/org-exp-blocks.el
>
> you can use it to export ditaa blocks to images when exporting an org
> file to html.  There are instruction in the top of the elisp file,
> mainly you just need to load the file, and set `ditaa-jar-path' to the
> path to ditaa.jar on your system.  Then if you setup a block like the
> following
>
> #+begin_ditaa blue.png -r -S
> +---------+
> | cBLU    |
> |         |
> |    +----+
> |    |cPNK|
> |    |    |
> +----+----+
> #+end_ditaa
>
> The ascii inside the block will be exported to an image in blue.png
> passing any following options as command line options to ditaa.jar.
>
> Hope this is helpful.
>
> Cheers -- Eric
>
> Mac <xmfrw8002@sneakemail.com> writes:
>
>> I would like to convert my ASCII-images inside my document.org before exporting
>> the document to HTML.
>>
>> I've found this converter, ditaa, which is a java program that takes an ASCII
>> text file and creates a png file (http://ditaa.sourceforge.net/).
>>
>> I intend to find my ASCII figure, save it as a separate text file, and run ditaa
>> on it. In my document.org I'll comment the ASCII-art so it won't be exported and
>> add a link so the image will be included in the html file.
>>
>> [[file:figure_1.png]]
>> #+BEGIN_COMMENT
>>                  V,mA
>>                +-----+
>>                |40140|
>>                +-----+
>>                   |    +----+
>>               +--------|4561|----------> PC
>>               |        +----+
>>            +----+
>>            |4060|
>>            +----+
>>            Relay Out
>> #+END_COMMENT
>>
>> Before reinventing the wheel, anyone done anything similar, or have ideas?

Sebastian Rose, EMMA STIL - mediendesign, Niemeyerstr.6, 30449 Hannover

Tel.:  +49 (0)511 - 36 58 472
Fax:   +49 (0)1805 - 233633 - 11044
mobil: +49 (0)173 - 83 93 417
Email: s.rose emma-stil de, sebastian_rose gmx de
Http:  www.emma-stil.de

* Re: Export ascii-images using ditaa when targeting HTML?
@ 2008-11-12 15:59     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-11-12 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Rose; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Nov 12, 2008, at 2:54 PM, Sebastian Rose wrote:

> Hi Eric,
>

> this is - hey - WOWEEEEEE, GREAT!
>

> But I ran into to problems:
>
> * Background color
>
>  The background of the resulting images is black, and I don't know how
>  to change that. Black lines on black background... I tried with
>  leading colons and without.
>
>  ditaa has no option to adjust the background color, but if I use
> ditaa
>  from the commandline, the background color is white.

For what it is worth, I have no problems with the background, it is
white all right.  Maybe it is transparent?

- Carsten

@ 2008-11-12 18:33       ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2008-11-12 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:
>>  ditaa has no option to adjust the background color, but if I use ditaa
>>  from the commandline, the background color is white.
>
> For what it is worth, I have no problems with the background, it is white all
> right.  Maybe it is transparent?

No, it is black indeed. But I found out, what it is.

This line

    (shell-command (concat "java -jar " ditaa-jar-path " " args " " data-file " " out-file))

calls another java than this command line:

     java -jar ~/bin/ditaar.jar /tmp/org-ditaa5607fgk

Yes, that seems to be the reason:

    /usr/bin/java is that free GNU java stuff that comes with Debian
    (some packages depend on it). It's deadslow and makes the black
    background.

    The commandline calls:

    sh$ which java
    /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/bin/java

    It's fast and makes the background white :-)

`shell-command' seems to call /usr/bin/java instead of regarding my $PATH

$sh echo $PATH
/home/sebastian/bin/ext/maven/bin:/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/bin:/home/sebastian/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin

Funny enough, the problem remains, if I start emacs from the bash
prompt. Seems that `shell-command' searches the standard directories
without regarding the environment?

Don't know yet, if this is related to the problem:

  Debian/Java - it's a stupid combination really. I installed the SUN java
  stuff using apt-get - it's odd:

  sh$ ls -l /etc/alternatives/java
  lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 34 28. Okt 20:35 /etc/alternatives/java -> /usr/lib/jvm/java-gcj/jre/bin/java

  Don't believe adjusting this helps, but I'd have to adjust all the
  other /etc/alternatives/java* stuff by hand anyway. Maybe I should
  file a bug report to Debian.

Adjusting the java path in org-exp-blocks directly fixes it.

@ 2008-11-12 18:42         ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2008-11-12 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

OK, fixed.

I did NOT have to adjust all the /etc/alternatives/java* stuff.

Just java and javac have been changed on some updating or installation
of packages depending on the free java stuff.

sh$ cd /etc/alternatives/
sh$ rm java
sh$ ln -s /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/bin/java java
sh$ rm javac
sh$ ln -s /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/bin/javac javac

Done.

:-)

--

@ 2008-11-12 18:53         ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2008-11-12 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Rose; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de> writes:

> Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:
>>>  ditaa has no option to adjust the background color, but if I use ditaa
>>>  from the commandline, the background color is white.
>>
>> For what it is worth, I have no problems with the background, it is white all
>> right.  Maybe it is transparent?
>

> No, it is black indeed. But I found out, what it is.
>

> This line
>
>     (shell-command (concat "java -jar " ditaa-jar-path " " args " " data-file " " out-file))
>
> calls another java than this command line:
>
>      java -jar ~/bin/ditaar.jar /tmp/org-ditaa5607fgk

Just to make sure, did you notice the command line option -S which
controls the background color?

,----[java -jar ditaa0_6b.jar -h]

| DiTAA version 0.6b, Copyright (C) 2004 Efstathios Sideris
|
| Using options:
| html: true
| Error: Please provide the input file filename
| Usage:
| 	java -jar text2image.jar
|
| 	[{-o,--overwrite}]
| 	[{-d,--debug}]
| 	[{-t,--tabs}]
|
| 	[{-S,--no-shadows}]
| 	[{-A,--no-antialias}]
| 	[{-s,--scale} scale]
| 	[{-r,--round-corners}]
| 	[{-E,--no-separation}]
|
| 	[{-h,--html}]
|
| 	<inpfile> [outfile]
|
| Note: do not group options like -rES. This is going to be fixed.
`----

-- Eric

@ 2008-11-12 19:13           ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2008-11-12 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Eric,

I used no options at all for testing. Now it works here (see my previous
mail).

The only problem left is now the copy problem if I change
something. Seems that this happens somewhere else. I.e., not in
org-exp-blocks.el, but rather in one of those:

sh$ grep -Fr copy-file emacs/lisp/ext/org-mode/lisp/
emacs/lisp/ext/org-mode/lisp/org.el:    (copy-file pngfile tofile 'replace)
emacs/lisp/ext/org-mode/lisp/org-attach.el:       ((eq method 'cp)      (copy-file file fname))
emacs/lisp/ext/org-mode/lisp/org-publish.el:  (copy-file filename pub-dir))

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-already-exists "File already exists" "/home/sebastian/develop/htdocs/org-notes/ditaa-all-examples.png")
  copy-file("/home/sebastian/emacs/org/notes/ditaa-all-examples.png" "/home/sebastian/develop/htdocs/org-notes/ditaa-all-examples.png" nil nil nil)
  apply(copy-file ("/home/sebastian/emacs/org/notes/ditaa-all-examples.png" "/home/sebastian/develop/htdocs/org-notes/ditaa-all-examples.png" nil nil nil))
  image-file-call-underlying(copy-file copy-file "/home/sebastian/emacs/org/notes/ditaa-all-examples.png" "/home/sebastian/develop/htdocs/org-notes/ditaa-all-examples.png" nil nil nil)
  apply(image-file-call-underlying copy-file copy-file ("/home/sebastian/emacs/org/notes/ditaa-all-examples.png" "/home/sebastian/develop/htdocs/org-notes/ditaa-all-examples.png" nil nil nil))
  image-file-handler(copy-file "/home/sebastian/emacs/org/notes/ditaa-all-examples.png" "/home/sebastian/develop/htdocs/org-notes/ditaa-all-examples.png" nil nil nil)
  copy-file("/home/sebastian/emacs/org/notes/ditaa-all-examples.png" "/home/sebastian/develop/htdocs/org-notes/")
  org-publish-attachment((:base-directory "~/emacs/org/notes/" :recursive t :base-extension "css\\|js\\|png\\|jpg\\|gif\\|pdf\\|mp3\\|ogg\\|swf\\|txt\\|htm\\|html\\|dtd\\|php" :publishing-directory "~/develop/htdocs/org-notes/" :publishing-function org-publish-attachment) "/home/sebastian/emacs/org/notes/ditaa-all-examples.png" "/home/sebastian/develop/htdocs/org-notes/")
  funcall(org-publish-attachment (:base-directory "~/emacs/org/notes/" :recursive t :base-extension "css\\|js\\|png\\|jpg\\|gif\\|pdf\\|mp3\\|ogg\\|swf\\|txt\\|htm\\|html\\|dtd\\|php" :publishing-directory "~/develop/htdocs/org-notes/" :publishing-function org-publish-attachment) "/home/sebastian/emacs/org/notes/ditaa-all-examples.png" "/home/sebastian/develop/htdocs/org-notes/")
  (if (listp publishing-function) (mapc (lambda ... ...) publishing-function) (funcall publishing-function project-plist filename tmp-pub-dir))
  (let* ((project ...) (project-plist ...) (ftname ...) (publishing-function ...) (base-dir ...) (pub-dir ...) tmp-pub-dir) (setq tmp-pub-dir (file-name-directory ...)) (if (listp publishing-function) (mapc ... publishing-function) (funcall publishing-function project-plist filename tmp-pub-dir)))
  (progn (let* (... ... ... ... ... ... tmp-pub-dir) (setq tmp-pub-dir ...) (if ... ... ...)) (org-publish-update-timestamp filename))
  (if (org-publish-needed-p filename) (progn (let* ... ... ...) (org-publish-update-timestamp filename)))
  (when (org-publish-needed-p filename) (let* (... ... ... ... ... ... tmp-pub-dir) (setq tmp-pub-dir ...) (if ... ... ...)) (org-publish-update-timestamp filename))
  org-publish-file("/home/sebastian/emacs/org/notes/ditaa-all-examples.png" ("org-notes-static" :base-directory "~/emacs/org/notes/" :recursive t :base-extension "css\\|js\\|png\\|jpg\\|gif\\|pdf\\|mp3\\|ogg\\|swf\\|txt\\|htm\\|html\\|dtd\\|php" :publishing-directory "~/develop/htdocs/org-notes/" :publishing-function org-publish-attachment))
  (while (setq file (pop files)) (org-publish-file file project))
  (let* ((project-plist ...) (exclude-regexp ...) (index-p ...) (index-filename ...) (index-function ...) (preparation-function ...) (completion-function ...) (files ...) file) (when preparation-function (funcall preparation-function)) (if index-p (funcall index-function project index-filename)) (while (setq file ...) (org-publish-file file project)) (when completion-function (funcall completion-function)))
  (lambda (project) (let* (... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... file) (when preparation-function ...) (if index-p ...) (while ... ...) (when completion-function ...)))(("org-notes-static" :base-directory "~/emacs/org/notes/" :recursive t :base-extension "css\\|js\\|png\\|jpg\\|gif\\|pdf\\|mp3\\|ogg\\|swf\\|txt\\|htm\\|html\\|dtd\\|php" :publishing-directory "~/develop/htdocs/org-notes/" :publishing-function org-publish-attachment))
  mapc((lambda (project) (let* (... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... file) (when preparation-function ...) (if index-p ...) (while ... ...) (when completion-function ...))) (("org-notes" :base-directory "~/emacs/org/notes/" :auto-index t :index-filename "sitemap.org" :index-title "Sitemap" :recursive t :base-extension "org" :publishing-directory "~/develop/htdocs/org-notes/" :publishing-function org-publish-org-to-html :headline-levels 4 :auto-preamble t :style "<link rel=\"stylesheet\" href=\"stylesheet.css\" type=\"text/css\" />\n    <script type=\"text/javascript\" src=\"org-info.js\"></script>") ("org-notes-static" :base-directory "~/emacs/org/notes/" :recursive t :base-extension "css\\|js\\|png\\|jpg\\|gif\\|pdf\\|mp3\\|ogg\\|swf\\|txt\\|htm\\|html\\|dtd\\|php" :publishing-directory "~/dev
 elop/htdocs/org-notes/" :publishing-function org-publish-attachment)))
  org-publish-projects((("org" :components ("org-notes" "org-notes-static"))))
  (let* ((force current-prefix-arg) (org-publish-use-timestamps-flag ...)) (org-publish-projects (list ...)))
  (save-window-excursion (let* (... ...) (org-publish-projects ...)))
  org-publish(nil)
  call-interactively(org-publish t nil)
  execute-extended-command(nil)
  call-interactively(execute-extended-command nil nil)

Don't know if this is new - I never ever changed an image file so far.

Regards,

--

@ 2008-11-12 19:18           ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2008-11-12 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Rose; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de> writes:

> OK, fixed.
>

> I did NOT have to adjust all the /etc/alternatives/java* stuff.
>
> Just java and javac have been changed on some updating or installation
> of packages depending on the free java stuff.
>

> sh$ cd /etc/alternatives/
> sh$ rm java
> sh$ ln -s /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/bin/java java
> sh$ rm javac
> sh$ ln -s /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/bin/javac javac

This is a better way to update the alternatives

# update-alternatives --config java

and you pick from the provided alternatives.  It updates multiple links
as required.

-Bernt

* Re: Export ascii-images using ditaa when targeting HTML?
@ 2008-11-12 19:30             ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2008-11-12 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Rose; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de> writes:

> Hi Eric,
>

> I used no options at all for testing. Now it works here (see my previous
> mail).
>

> The only problem left is now the copy problem if I change
> something.

Hi Sebastian,

I think this is related to the -o option of the ditaa utility.  Try
adding -o to the header of the ditaa block, resulting in a block like

#+begin_ditaa blue.png -r -S -o
+---------+
| cPNK    |
|         |
|    +----+
|    |cBLU|
|    |    |
+----+----+
#+end_ditaa

Then ditaa should willingly overwrite the previous image.

Tally Ho -- Eric

* Re: Export ascii-images using ditaa when targeting HTML?
@ 2008-11-12 19:41             ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2008-11-12 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Bernt,

will
# update-alternatives --config java
adjust all those links?

sh$ ls -1 /etc/alternatives/java*
/etc/alternatives/java
/etc/alternatives/javac
/etc/alternatives/javac.1.gz
/etc/alternatives/javadoc
/etc/alternatives/javadoc.1.gz
/etc/alternatives/javah
/etc/alternatives/javah.1.gz
/etc/alternatives/javap
/etc/alternatives/javap.1.gz
/etc/alternatives/java-rmi.cgi
/etc/alternatives/java_vm
/etc/alternatives/javaws
/etc/alternatives/javaws.1.gz

Anyway, thanks for the tip. It easier than editing those links by hand
and shows all the alternatives present on the system.

Sebastian

--

@ 2008-11-12 19:47               ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2008-11-12 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Rose; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Not all of them but it will (or should) adjust whatever belongs to the
package you are switching.  Some of those links (for me) are from a
different java package.

On my system I can configure

  java
  javac
  javadoc
  javah

separately but some of those only have one alternative (so you can't
change it)

It's still better than manipulating the links by hand (I think) since
you're less likely to point at incorrect packages.

-Bernt

@ 2008-11-12 20:31               ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2008-11-12 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Eric,

sorry for being unclear. I use the -o option. The image is always
created correctly. But it seems that the exporter
(org-publish-attachment) refuses to overwrite existing files.

--

@ 2008-11-12 20:33                 ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2008-11-12 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Bernt,

I'll follow your advice for all future changes to my alternative system
here. `C-c r' did it's job already :-)

Thanks,

--

@ 2008-11-12 20:47                 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2008-11-12 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Rose; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de> writes:

> Hi Eric,
>

> sorry for being unclear. I use the -o option. The image is always
> created correctly. But it seems that the exporter
> (org-publish-attachment) refuses to overwrite existing files.

Hi Sebastian,

I see now.  It looks like org-publish-attachment uses the `copy-file'
function to copy files to the publish directory.  We just need to set an
option argument to copy-file to tell it how to deal with overwriting.

,----[from copy-file documentation]
| The optional third argument OK-IF-ALREADY-EXISTS specifies what to do
| if file NEWNAME already exists.  If OK-IF-ALREADY-EXISTS is nil, we
| signal a `file-already-exists' error without overwriting.  If
| OK-IF-ALREADY-EXISTS is a number, we request confirmation from the user
| about overwriting; this is what happens in interactive use with M-x.
| Any other value for OK-IF-ALREADY-EXISTS means to overwrite the
| existing file.
`----

This file is currently set to nil, we should probably set it to t so it
always overwrites files.  Does that sound like the best option?

The attached minimal patch set this option to t.

Best -- Eric

[-- Attachment #2: org-publish.patch --]
[-- Type: text/x-diff, Size: 515 bytes --]

diff --git a/lisp/org-publish.el b/lisp/org-publish.el
index aa8c495..bbd9180 100644
--- a/lisp/org-publish.el
+++ b/lisp/org-publish.el
@@ -537,7 +537,7 @@ See `org-publish-org-to' to the list of arguments."
   ;; make sure eshell/cp code is loaded
   (unless (file-directory-p pub-dir)
     (make-directory pub-dir t))
-  (copy-file filename pub-dir))
+  (copy-file filename pub-dir t))

 ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
 ;;; Publishing files, sets of files, and indices

* Re: Export ascii-images using ditaa when targeting HTML?
@ 2008-11-12 21:54                   ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2008-11-12 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Eric,

yes, this looks fine to me and works :-)

What do the others think?

I believe overwriting is the desired behaviour on export. I use
org-publish-attachment for images, stylesheets, scripts and so on. And
they shurely should be updated in the publishing-directory.

I just wonder, why I never ran into that problem. All the other files
where always overwritten.

One more:

If I refile an entry containing such an ditaa image, the old image
remains in both, the base-directory, and the publishing-directory. An
option to set the image directory relative to base-directory (and adjust
the link accordingly) would be very nice. That way, we could refer to
the image in other files too and the links would work after refiling
such an entry.

Thanks again,

@ 2008-11-12 22:42   ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2008-11-12 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I added support for the dot graphing utility (see http://www.graphviz.org/).

The updated code with examples is in the github repo.

@ 2008-11-12 23:01                   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-11-12 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Wow, this patch is important enough for an "emergency release", 6.12b.

Up on the git repo now.

Thanks

- Carsten

@ 2008-11-14 14:54   ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2008-11-14 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"Eric Schulte" <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:

> I have been working on an org-mode add-on for the specialized processing
> of #+begin_* blocks.  Since this is very similar to the need you
> expressed below, I implemented ditaa processing as one of the examples
> in the initial implementation of this add-on.

<snip>

> #+begin_ditaa blue.png -r -S
> +---------+
> | cBLU    |
> |         |
> |    +----+
> |    |cPNK|
> |    |    |
> +----+----+
> #+end_ditaa

Hi Eric,

Just out of curiosity is there a reason you chose to use lowercase for
#+begin_ and #+end_ tags?  I think the org-mode tags are all uppercase
only and it feels a little strange having to remember which ones are
supposed to be upper/lower case when playing with this utility.

Great job by the way - I think this ditaa export is really cool!

Regards,
Bernt

* Re: Re: Export ascii-images using ditaa when targeting HTML?
@ 2008-11-14 15:51     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-11-14 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Nov 14, 2008, at 3:54 PM, Bernt Hansen wrote:

> "Eric Schulte" <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I have been working on an org-mode add-on for the specialized
>> processing
>> of #+begin_* blocks.  Since this is very similar to the need you
>> expressed below, I implemented ditaa processing as one of the
>> examples
>> in the initial implementation of this add-on.
>
> <snip>
>

>> #+begin_ditaa blue.png -r -S
>> +---------+
>> | cBLU    |
>> |         |
>> |    +----+
>> |    |cPNK|
>> |    |    |
>> +----+----+
>> #+end_ditaa
>>

> Hi Eric,
>
> Just out of curiosity is there a reason you chose to use lowercase for
> #+begin_ and #+end_ tags?  I think the org-mode tags are all uppercase
> only and it feels a little strange having to remember which ones are
> supposed to be upper/lower case when playing with this utility.

I would like blocks to be defined so that you can use both upper
and lower case, and I hope that most of Org works like this (please

- Carsten

* Re: Re: Export ascii-images using ditaa when targeting HTML?
@ 2008-11-14 16:02       ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2008-11-14 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> I would like blocks to be defined so that you can use both upper
> and lower case, and I hope that most of Org works like this (please

:)

I've only every used all uppercase for org blocks since that is all I
have ever seen in the examples.  I never actually tried lowercase org
blocks until now -- and the one I tried (BEGIN_EXAMPLE) didn't care
about case so that works fine.

Thanks!
Bernt