From: Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca>
To: John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com>
Cc: Bastien <bzg@altern.org>, emacs-orgmode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Grouping clock report by tag?
Date: Fri, 06 May 2011 19:55:22 -0400	[thread overview]

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 6:08 PM, Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> wrote:
>> Niels Giesen posted some patches for summarizing clock reports by
>> arbitrary properties.  Maybe this will be useful?
>>
>> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/40160
>>
>> I'm not aware of any functionality that does what you describe above.
>>

> His is actually pretty darn close. It looks like Carsten just
> re-requested a patch in some standard format a few days ago, so
> perhaps I can hold my breath for it to get applied. Otherwise, do I
> just copy/paste his code into manual files and then do something like
> 'patch -p0 file.patch'?
>
> And will it get overrun by my next pull?
>
> Sorry... never applied a patch to org-mode files.

Creating the patches is fairly easy.

  1) Take the email with the patches in it and cut out the #+begin_src
     and #+end_src lines and everything in front of the first patch so
     the file is just the 3 patches consecutively.
  2) Save the file (I put mine in /tmp/patch)
  3) Create a local topic branch for these patches
     $ git checkout -b clock-report-by-property origin/master
  4) Apply the patches to create the 3 commits on this branch
     $ git am /tmp/patch

  Then try it out.

  I've done the above steps and pushed the result to
  git://git.norang.ca/org-mode.git ng/clock-reports-by-property
  after fixing up the email address since git doesn't like the <at>
  syntax provided in the mail.

  I have not fixed the changelog entries for these patches but they
  should be fine for just giving it a trial run.

  You can grab the patches from my git repository with
  $ git fetch git://git.norang.ca/org-mode.git ng/clock-reports-by-property

  This will create a temporary ref called FETCH_HEAD which you can check
  out.

  $ git checkout FETCH_HEAD

  and later just go back to your master with

  $ git checkout master

HTH,
Bernt