* Grouping clock report by tag?
@ 2011-02-25  0:25 John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-02-25  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I just decided to try to start clocking tasks and would find it most helpful
to organize by tag, not file. Perhaps my filing system is unorthodox, but I
originally started using an org file per work project but just found it
cumbersome when it came to recording my notes since I'd be switching back
and forth between many files. I suppose I could have used capture for this,
but I think my current system makes more sense. It is to use one file per
month and the format is like so:

,-----
| ~/org/2011-02Feb.org
| ---
| * [2011-02-04 Fri]...
| * [2011-02-08 Tue]...
| * [2011-02-22 Tue]...
| ** Description of something I did          :project-name:
| CLOCK: [whatever]--[whatever]
| Notes
| ** Something else I did this day            :other-project:
| CLOCK: [whatever]--[whatever]
| Notes
`-----

Hopefully that's clear. I like this method as it keeps file sizes down and
just seems more organized than how I was before.

In any case, I realize that I can setup clock reports with something like
=:tags "project-name"= to get a report for a particular tag. That can at
least give me per-project reports for a given timeframe, but I wouldn't mind
the ability to have something that shows all my time but includes tags
somehow.

Perhaps it would display the headline (which is actually nice since my top
headlines are the dates), then the sub-item (which would be helpful because
it would be a description of what I was doing), but somehow give a summary
of time-per-tag or a column that lists the tag for teach task as well? Is
this possible? That would be great as I'd be able to get a snapshot of how I
spent my day per project.

Again.. manually, this is possible as I can create a "clockreport.org" file
with a headline per project with a specific =:tag "project-name"= argument
and then I could add up times and compare them from there. Though perhaps
there's a better way to get something like this as well?

Thanks for any thoughts or even sharing how you use clocking when it comes
to analyzing the data afterward.

Best regards,
Joh

* Re: Grouping clock report by tag?
@ 2011-03-06 13:20 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-03-06 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi John,

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:

> In any case, I realize that I can setup clock reports with something
> like =:tags "project-name"= to get a report for a particular tag.

Yes.

What are you exactly missing?  Can you provide an example of the
clocktable you want to get?

 Bastien

* Re: Grouping clock report by tag?
@ 2011-03-06 17:02   ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-03-06 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 7:20 AM, Bastien <bzg@altern.org> wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > In any case, I realize that I can setup clock reports with something
> > like =:tags "project-name"= to get a report for a particular tag.
>
> Yes.
>
> What are you exactly missing?  Can you provide an example of the
> clocktable you want to get?

How about a clock table with a :tag: column and an option to sort by common
tag? Again, I can already do *something* like this via the tag options, but
I wouldn't mind all my clocked items appearing in *one* table but sorted by
tag. My tags = my projects/work area. It seems that a lot of people opt for
the *file* desribing the project and thus the current table listing items by
the file they appear in (or headline in the current file) probably works. I
don't work like this, though. For me, tag sorting (even showing them) would
be much more descriptive vs. trying to read the headlines and figure out
what project it was.

I *could* create a load of individual tables, so if this is a non-worthy
request, I'll stick with creating a separate clock file that pulls together
info from my agenda files and then create a spearate clock-table per tag.

John

> Thanks,
>
> --
>  Bastien

* Re: Re: Grouping clock report by tag?
@ 2011-03-06 17:42     ` Bastien
       [not found]       ` <AANLkTim6kxpDVxXw5krSbpDK+x3=wfB2iqN6g9nWujx2@mail.gmail.com>
From: Bastien @ 2011-03-06 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:

> How about a clock table with a :tag: column and an option to sort by
> common tag? Again, I can already do something like this via the tag
> options, but I wouldn't mind all my clocked items appearing in one
>  table but sorted by tag. My tags = my projects/work area. It seems
> that a lot of people opt for the file desribing the project and thus
> the current table listing items by the file they appear in (or
> headline in the current file) probably works. I don't work like this,
> though. For me, tag sorting (even showing them) would be much more
> descriptive vs. trying to read the headlines and figure out what
> project it was.
>
> I could create a load of individual tables, so if this is a
> non-worthy request, I'll stick with creating a separate clock file
> that pulls together info from my agenda files and then create a
> spearate clock-table per tag.

Please provide an example with a clocktable..

--

@ 2011-03-06 18:08         ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-03-06 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien, emacs-orgmode

Sorry -- forgot the list...

@ 2011-03-07 10:11           ` Giovanni Ridolfi
From: Giovanni Ridolfi @ 2011-03-07 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: Bastien, emacs-orgmode

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:

> Sorry -- forgot the list...
>
> On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 12:06 PM, John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> wrote:

The idea has been already suggested, with patches, but I think the patches
got lost during the FSF copyright assignment

1. by Adam Elliott, see:

  On Feb 23, 2010, at 8:13 AM, Adam Elliott wrote:
  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/22526

2. And also by B Grobauer, with a huge patch
   Sun, 20 Jun 2010 12:24:44 +0200
   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2010-06/msg00536.html

If Bastien is going to implement this feature, I ask again[1]:
  Is it possible to check also for properies
  and not only for tag?

  we can add a special PROPERTY: CLOCKTAG

Rationale:
In my setup I have a remember template where I write the task I'm doing.
with some information e.g.:

** reading bibliography
   CLOCK: [2010-06-21 lun 09:24]
  :PROPERTIES:
  :ID: lab
  :Type:expected
  :People: Giovanni
  :Location: computer
  :Connection: nil
  :CLOCKTAG:PV Project
  :Comment:
  :END:

If the function checks also the :PROPERTIES: drawer and the existence of
the special PROPERTY: CLOCKTAG I can keep my setup and exploit this
marvellous new feature.

[1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2010-06/msg00554.html

Another method could be to use the clock report from agenda R
Date: 	Wed, 27 Oct 2010 12:29:25 -0400
(Sebastien Vauban)
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2010-10/msg01494.html

cheers,
Giovanni

* Re: Re: Grouping clock report by tag?
@ 2011-03-11 22:06             ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-03-11 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giovanni Ridolfi; +Cc: Bastien, emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 4:11 AM, Giovanni Ridolfi
<giovanni.ridolfi@yahoo.it> wrote:
> John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Sorry -- forgot the list...

> The idea has been already suggested, with patches, but I think the patches
> got lost during the FSF copyright assignment

Somehow I missed this email!

> 1. by Adam Elliott, see:
>
>  On Feb 23, 2010, at 8:13 AM, Adam Elliott wrote:
>  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/22526

That looks like the behavior as-is (i.e. a :tags "tagname" option)

Oh, and perhaps the :tags option should be better documented in the
manual. I tried in vain to combine tags and only just now saw the
thread that looks like it inspired the :tags option. The mailing list
posts contains the syntax ("tag1-tag2", "tag1+tag2") but since there
is no example clocktable using the :tags option in the manual:
1) it took me a while even to figure out to put the word in quotations
2) I had no idea whatsoever if multiple tags were possible

> 2. And also by B Grobauer, with a huge patch
>   Sun, 20 Jun 2010 12:24:44 +0200
>   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2010-06/msg00536.html

Now *this* looks like just what I was loooking for. Yes -- an option
to group by tag or even simply include a column which lists the tags.
I can do several tables, but for me this is more just to show where I
spend my time, not for billing... so it would be great to analyze the
ratios between my various "buckets" (for which I use tags to
identify).

> If Bastien is going to implement this feature, I ask again[1]:
>  Is it possible to check also for properies
>  and not only for tag?
>
>  we can add a special PROPERTY: CLOCKTAG
>
> Rationale:
> In my setup I have a remember template where I write the task I'm doing.
> with some information e.g.:
>
> ** reading bibliography
>   CLOCK: [2010-06-21 lun 09:24]
>  :PROPERTIES:
>  :ID: lab
>  :Type:expected
>  :People: Giovanni
>  :Location: computer
>  :Connection: nil
>  :CLOCKTAG:PV Project
>  :Comment:
>  :END:
>
> If the function checks also the :PROPERTIES: drawer and the existence of
> the special PROPERTY: CLOCKTAG I can keep my setup and exploit this
> marvellous new feature.
>
> [1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2010-06/msg00554.html
>
> Another method could be to use the clock report from agenda R
> Date:   Wed, 27 Oct 2010 12:29:25 -0400
> (Sebastien Vauban)
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2010-10/msg01494.html
>

> cheers,
> Giovanni

* Re: [Orgmode] Grouping clock report by tag?
@ 2011-05-05 19:33               ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-05-05 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giovanni Ridolfi; +Cc: Bastien, emacs-orgmode

Following up on this again... It's been almost 2mos. Is there any way
to add a tag grouping to clock reports rather than needing to create
clock reports for every tag?

Many thanks,
John

My initial example:
----

-----

@ 2011-05-05 23:08                 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2011-05-05 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: Bastien, emacs-orgmode

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:

> Following up on this again... It's been almost 2mos. Is there any way
> to add a tag grouping to clock reports rather than needing to create
> clock reports for every tag?
>
> Many thanks,
> John
>
> My initial example:
> ----
> A rough idea might be like this:
>
> -----------
>
> #+BEGIN: clocktable :maxlevel 2 :scope agenda
> Clock summary at [2011-03-06 Sun 17:59]
> | Tag  | Headline         |    Time |      | File           |
> |------+------------------+---------+------+----------------|
> |      | ALL *Total time* | *10:00* |      |                |
> |------+------------------+---------+------+----------------|
> | Tag1 | *Tag time*       |  *5:00* |      |                |
> |      | [2011-02-04 Fri] |    3:30 |      | 2011-02Feb.org |
> |      | Some task        |         | 3:30 |                |
> |      | [2011-01-21 Fri] |    0:30 |      | 2011-01Jan.org |
> |      | Some task        |         | 0:30 |                |
> |      | [2010-12-09 Thu] |    1:00 |      | 2010-12Dec.org |
> |      | Some task        |         | 1:00 |                |
> |------+------------------+---------+------+----------------|
> | Tag2 | *Tag time*       |  *5:00* |      |                |
> |      | [2011-02-04 Fri] |    3:30 |      | 2011-02Feb.org |
> |      | Some task        |         | 3:30 |                |
> |      | [2011-01-21 Fri] |    0:30 |      | 2011-01Jan.org |
> |      | Some task        |         | 0:30 |                |
> |      | [2010-12-09 Thu] |    1:00 |      | 2010-12Dec.org |
> |      | Some task        |         | 1:00 |                |
> |------+------------------+---------+------+----------------|
> -----

Hi John,

Niels Giesen posted some patches for summarizing clock reports by
arbitrary properties.  Maybe this will be useful?

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/40160

I'm not aware of any functionality that does what you describe above.

Regards,
Bernt

* Re: [Orgmode] Grouping clock report by tag?
@ 2011-05-06 20:30                   ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-05-06 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: Bastien, emacs-orgmode

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 6:08 PM, Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> wrote:
> John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Following up on this again... It's been almost 2mos. Is there any way
>> to add a tag grouping to clock reports rather than needing to create
>> clock reports for every tag?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> John
>>
>> My initial example:
>> ----
>> A rough idea might be like this:
>>
>> -----------
>>
>> #+BEGIN: clocktable :maxlevel 2 :scope agenda
>> Clock summary at [2011-03-06 Sun 17:59]
>> | Tag  | Headline         |    Time |      | File           |
>> |------+------------------+---------+------+----------------|
>> |      | ALL *Total time* | *10:00* |      |                |
>> |------+------------------+---------+------+----------------|
>> | Tag1 | *Tag time*       |  *5:00* |      |                |
>> |      | [2011-02-04 Fri] |    3:30 |      | 2011-02Feb.org |
>> |      | Some task        |         | 3:30 |                |
>> |      | [2011-01-21 Fri] |    0:30 |      | 2011-01Jan.org |
>> |      | Some task        |         | 0:30 |                |
>> |      | [2010-12-09 Thu] |    1:00 |      | 2010-12Dec.org |
>> |      | Some task        |         | 1:00 |                |
>> |------+------------------+---------+------+----------------|
>> | Tag2 | *Tag time*       |  *5:00* |      |                |
>> |      | [2011-02-04 Fri] |    3:30 |      | 2011-02Feb.org |
>> |      | Some task        |         | 3:30 |                |
>> |      | [2011-01-21 Fri] |    0:30 |      | 2011-01Jan.org |
>> |      | Some task        |         | 0:30 |                |
>> |      | [2010-12-09 Thu] |    1:00 |      | 2010-12Dec.org |
>> |      | Some task        |         | 1:00 |                |
>> |------+------------------+---------+------+----------------|
>> -----
>
> Hi John,
>
> Niels Giesen posted some patches for summarizing clock reports by
> arbitrary properties.  Maybe this will be useful?
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/40160
>
> I'm not aware of any functionality that does what you describe above.

His is actually pretty darn close. It looks like Carsten just
re-requested a patch in some standard format a few days ago, so
perhaps I can hold my breath for it to get applied. Otherwise, do I
just copy/paste his code into manual files and then do something like
'patch -p0 file.patch'?

And will it get overrun by my next pull?

Sorry... never applied a patch to org-mode files.

John

@ 2011-05-06 23:55                     ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2011-05-06 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: Bastien, emacs-orgmode

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 6:08 PM, Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> wrote:
>> Niels Giesen posted some patches for summarizing clock reports by
>> arbitrary properties.  Maybe this will be useful?
>>
>> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/40160
>>
>> I'm not aware of any functionality that does what you describe above.
>>

> His is actually pretty darn close. It looks like Carsten just
> re-requested a patch in some standard format a few days ago, so
> perhaps I can hold my breath for it to get applied. Otherwise, do I
> just copy/paste his code into manual files and then do something like
> 'patch -p0 file.patch'?
>
> And will it get overrun by my next pull?
>
> Sorry... never applied a patch to org-mode files.

Creating the patches is fairly easy.

  1) Take the email with the patches in it and cut out the #+begin_src
     and #+end_src lines and everything in front of the first patch so
     the file is just the 3 patches consecutively.
  2) Save the file (I put mine in /tmp/patch)
  3) Create a local topic branch for these patches
     $ git checkout -b clock-report-by-property origin/master
  4) Apply the patches to create the 3 commits on this branch
     $ git am /tmp/patch

  Then try it out.

  I've done the above steps and pushed the result to
  git://git.norang.ca/org-mode.git ng/clock-reports-by-property
  after fixing up the email address since git doesn't like the <at>
  syntax provided in the mail.

  I have not fixed the changelog entries for these patches but they
  should be fine for just giving it a trial run.

  You can grab the patches from my git repository with
  $ git fetch git://git.norang.ca/org-mode.git ng/clock-reports-by-property

  This will create a temporary ref called FETCH_HEAD which you can check
  out.

  $ git checkout FETCH_HEAD

  and later just go back to your master with

  $ git checkout master

HTH,
Bernt