* [new exporter] Guides on what incompatibilities to watch for?
@ 2013-02-19 17:57 Gunnar Wolf
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Gunnar Wolf @ 2013-02-19 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I'm not very specific in this mail, but am wondering…

I have some nontrivial documents written in Org-mode. My main use case
for Org is mostly to author texts, rather than using its time-tracking
features. I fear that with the new exporter, several of my documents'
features will no longer work or -worse- be interpretted differently,
having a negative impact in my output.

Is there a guide on what items should I mostly watch for (or even
better, what syntax changes should I make) to get my results as
similar as possible to what I had beforehand?

I am not yet running with the new release; as I follow the Debian
packaging, I'll rather wait until it "lands" in my system. Still, I
want to prepare and not let this get me off-guard!

* Re: [new exporter] Guides on what incompatibilities to watch for?
@ 2013-02-19 19:04 ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-02-19 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 11:57:03AM -0600, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not very specific in this mail, but am wondering…
>
> I have some nontrivial documents written in Org-mode. My main use case
> for Org is mostly to author texts, rather than using its time-tracking
> features. I fear that with the new exporter, several of my documents'
> features will no longer work or -worse- be interpretted differently,
> having a negative impact in my output.
>
> Is there a guide on what items should I mostly watch for (or even
> better, what syntax changes should I make) to get my results as
> similar as possible to what I had beforehand?
>
> I am not yet running with the new release; as I follow the Debian
> packaging, I'll rather wait until it "lands" in my system. Still, I
> want to prepare and not let this get me off-guard!

Take a look here:

<http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#new-exporter-switch>

Apart from that I know about the following changes in syntax (to the
best of my knowledge):
1. Attribute lines now take plists
   : #+attr_latex :width "5cm"
   : #+attr_beamer :options "width=5cm"
2. Beamer backend now interprets nested headline levels as blocks
   instead of lists.  For some preliminary guidance you can look at
   this:
   <http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-beamer/org-e-beamer.html>.

Hope this helps,

--
Suvayu

* Re: [new exporter] Guides on what incompatibilities to watch for?
@ 2013-02-19 19:11 ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2013-02-19 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gunnar Wolf; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Gunnar Wolf <gwolf@gwolf.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm not very specific in this mail, but am wondering…
>
> I have some nontrivial documents written in Org-mode. My main use case
> for Org is mostly to author texts, rather than using its time-tracking
> features. I fear that with the new exporter, several of my documents'
> features will no longer work or -worse- be interpretted differently,
> having a negative impact in my output.
>
> Is there a guide on what items should I mostly watch for (or even
> better, what syntax changes should I make) to get my results as
> similar as possible to what I had beforehand?
>
> I am not yet running with the new release; as I follow the Debian
> packaging, I'll rather wait until it "lands" in my system. Still, I
> want to prepare and not let this get me off-guard!

Aloha Gunnar,

Please see http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#new-exporter-switch.
Old documents will typically require some changes to work with the new
exporter, but the changes are relatively few and that Nicolas has worked
hard to preserve backward compatibility where possible.

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: [new exporter] Guides on what incompatibilities to watch for?
@ 2013-02-19 19:38   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-02-19 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suvayu Ali; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Suvayu,

Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:

> <http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#new-exporter-switch>
>
> Apart from that I know about the following changes in syntax (to the
> best of my knowledge):
> 1. Attribute lines now take plists
>    : #+attr_latex :width "5cm"
>    : #+attr_beamer :options "width=5cm"
> 2. Beamer backend now interprets nested headline levels as blocks
>    instead of lists.  For some preliminary guidance you can look at
>    this:
>    <http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-beamer/org-e-beamer.html>.

Great, thanks, I added this to the FAQ.

Best,

--
 Bastien

* Re: [new exporter] Guides on what incompatibilities to watch for?
@ 2013-02-20  8:21 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2013-02-20  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gunnar Wolf; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Gunnar Wolf <gwolf@gwolf.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm not very specific in this mail, but am wondering…
>
> I have some nontrivial documents written in Org-mode. My main use case
> for Org is mostly to author texts, rather than using its time-tracking
> features. I fear that with the new exporter, several of my documents'
> features will no longer work or -worse- be interpretted differently,
> having a negative impact in my output.

Don't worry too much.  I had the same worry because although I do use
the time tracking (GTD) feature of org extensively, the majority of the
time I am using org is for writing.  Although there are some changes you
will need to make to your documents, the number of changes will depend
on the export target(s) and your use of figures and tables, say.  Others
in this thread have already pointed you to the docs that are available.

You don't actually say what the export target(s) you use is/are.  In my
case, most of my export to latex/pdf documents required minimal changes
and only to figure attributes basically.  My beamer slides required more
significant changes but, even here, the impact was much less dramatic
than I had expected and worried about!  And, quite importantly, the
beamer exporter is now more logical, in my opinion.

Don't panic (TM)! ;-)

--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D
: in Emacs 24.3.50.1 and Org 7.9.3e-1140-g272ca4