* Exporting markdown specific string
@ 2014-01-04 15:48 Ista Zahn
From: Ista Zahn @ 2014-01-04 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out how to export a line (say "foo") only when
exporting to markdown.

For latex there is
'#+LATEX: foo'
and for html there is
'#+HTML: foo'
but neither
'#+MD: foo'
nor
'#+MARKDOWN: foo'
does the trick.

Of course
'#+HTML: foo'
exports foo to markdown since the markdown exporter is derived from
the html exporter. But I'd really like to include stuff in the
markdown export that does not also get included in the html export.

Suggestions? I'm using org-plus-contrib: Org-mode version 8.2.4
(8.2.4-18-g4ee7e6-elpaplus) installed using M-x install-packages.

Thanks,
Ista

* Re: Exporting markdown specific string
@ 2014-01-04 17:22 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-01-04 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Ista,

Ista Zahn <istazahn@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm trying to figure out how to export a line (say "foo") only when
> exporting to markdown.

#+BEGIN_MD
#+END_MD

will do.

#+HTML and the likes are special shortcuts for historical export
backends, we don't plan to add more.

HTH,

--
 Bastien

* Re: Exporting markdown specific string
@ 2014-01-04 18:09   ` Charles Berry
From: Charles Berry @ 2014-01-04 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg <at> gnu.org> writes:

> Hi Ista,
>
> Ista Zahn <istazahn <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I'm trying to figure out how to export a line (say "foo") only when
> > exporting to markdown.
>
> #+BEGIN_MD
> #+END_MD
>
> will do.

[snip]

No it won't.

ox-md.el does not define a transcoder for keyword and falls back to its
parent:

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :exports both
(org-version)
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
: 8.2.4

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :exports both
(assoc 'keyword (org-export-get-all-transcoders 'md))
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
: (keyword . org-html-keyword)

HTH,

Chuck

* Re: Exporting markdown specific string
@ 2014-01-04 18:21     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-01-04 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Berry; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Charles Berry <ccberry@ucsd.edu> writes:

> No it won't.
>
> ox-md.el does not define a transcoder for keyword and falls back to its
> parent:

Thanks.

I just added this transcoder to the master branch.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Exporting markdown specific string
@ 2014-01-04 18:24     ` Charles Berry
From: Charles Berry @ 2014-01-04 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Charles Berry <ccberry <at> ucsd.edu> writes:

> Bastien <bzg <at> gnu.org> writes:
>

> > Hi Ista,
> >
> > Ista Zahn <istazahn <at> gmail.com> writes:
> >
> > > I'm trying to figure out how to export a line (say "foo") only when
> > > exporting to markdown.
> >
> > #+BEGIN_MD
> > #+END_MD
> >
> > will do.
> >
> [snip]
>
> No it won't.
>
> ox-md.el does not define a transcoder for keyword and falls back to its
> parent:

OOPS!

I meant 'export-block'

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :exports both
(assoc 'export-block (org-export-get-all-transcoders 'md))
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
: (export-block . org-html-export-block)

Chuck

* Re: Exporting markdown specific string
@ 2014-01-04 18:40       ` Charles Berry
From: Charles Berry @ 2014-01-04 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg <at> gnu.org> writes:

> Charles Berry <ccberry <at> ucsd.edu> writes:
>
> > No it won't.
> >
> > ox-md.el does not define a transcoder for keyword and falls back to its
> > parent:
>
> Thanks.
>
> I just added this transcoder to the master branch.

Looking at org-md-export-block shouldn't it export HTML export blocks as
well, since markdown allows literal html?

HTH,

Chuck

* Re: Exporting markdown specific string
@ 2014-01-04 18:50         ` Ista Zahn
From: Ista Zahn @ 2014-01-04 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Jan 4, 2014 at 1:40 PM, Charles Berry <ccberry@ucsd.edu> wrote:
> Bastien <bzg <at> gnu.org> writes:
>

>> Charles Berry <ccberry <at> ucsd.edu> writes:
>>
>> > No it won't.
>> >
>> > ox-md.el does not define a transcoder for keyword and falls back to its
>> > parent:
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> I just added this transcoder to the master branch.
>>

> Looking at org-md-export-block shouldn't it export HTML export blocks as
> well, since markdown allows literal html?

Yes, and as far as I can tell it does. But as I explained in my
original question I want certain text exported to markdown but not to
html.

Best,
Ista

@ 2014-01-04 19:24   ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2014-01-04 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> Ista Zahn <istazahn@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I'm trying to figure out how to export a line (say "foo") only when
>> exporting to markdown.
>
> #+BEGIN_MD
> #+END_MD
>
> will do.

I added #+begin_markdown...#+end_markdown too, as defined by the
back-end.

> #+HTML and the likes are special shortcuts for historical export
> backends, we don't plan to add more.

What? Every back-end introduces its own specific keyword
(#+beamer: #+ascii ...). I just added them (#+md: and #+markdown:) for
md back-end.

Should we remove all of them?

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Exporting markdown specific string
@ 2014-01-04 20:55     ` Charles Berry
From: Charles Berry @ 2014-01-04 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Bastien <bzg <at> gnu.org> writes:
>
> > Ista Zahn <istazahn <at> gmail.com> writes:
> >
> >> I'm trying to figure out how to export a line (say "foo") only when
> >> exporting to markdown.
> >
> > #+BEGIN_MD
> > #+END_MD
> >
> > will do.
>
> I added #+begin_markdown...#+end_markdown too, as defined by the
> back-end.

Doesn't org-md-export-block want

 (org-export-with-backend 'html export-block contents info)

at its end?

Chuck

* Re: Exporting markdown specific string
@ 2014-01-04 23:50       ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2014-01-04 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Berry; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Charles Berry <ccberry@ucsd.edu> writes:

> Doesn't org-md-export-block want
>
>  (org-export-with-backend 'html export-block contents info)
>
> at its end?

Done. Thank you.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Exporting markdown specific string
@ 2014-01-05  6:39     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-01-05  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> writes:

>> #+HTML and the likes are special shortcuts for historical export
>> backends, we don't plan to add more.
>
> What? Every back-end introduces its own specific keyword
> (#+beamer: #+ascii ...). I just added them (#+md: and #+markdown:) for
> md back-end.

Ah, my mistake.

(I had a memory of a conversation about #+HTML looked too ad hoc,
and in my memories you convinced me that we should not add more of
these keywords.  But maybe you didn't convince me then!)

> Should we remove all of them?

No, no.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Exporting markdown specific string
@ 2014-01-06 11:30       ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2014-01-06 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>> #+HTML and the likes are special shortcuts for historical export
>>> backends, we don't plan to add more.
>>
>> What? Every back-end introduces its own specific keyword
>> (#+beamer: #+ascii ...). I just added them (#+md: and #+markdown:) for
>> md back-end.
>
> Ah, my mistake.
>
> (I had a memory of a conversation about #+HTML looked too ad hoc,
> and in my memories you convinced me that we should not add more of
> these keywords.  But maybe you didn't convince me then!)

I don't like them much (as they are redundant) so it's well possible we
had this conversation. For some reason they now exist, for the worse or
the better, in every core back-end.

Though, they are not mandatory for new back-ends. Only documentation can
tell if such a keyword exists for a given back-end (which reminds me
that the recently introduced keywords are not documented yet).

Nicolas Goaziou