* Drag and drop, pasting images and files
@ 2014-02-24 17:52 Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2014-02-24 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

I actually posted it here:

https://github.com/railwaycat/emacs-mac-port/issues/43

Emacs + orgmode is the best combo for everything related to information
management. I've tried Evernote a couple of times, but the workflow feels
slow and awkward, no matter how polished they make the app.

One things that I miss is a fast workflow for "embedding" images and files
in my org files, though. See the ticket description for more details.

I'd be willing to actually take the time and try to implement it, could be
a good learning experience.

Does anyone else think these new features would be a nice addition?

I want to make sure it's not possible with a simpler approach as well, so
if you know a similar workflow is possible, please share.

* Re: Drag and drop, pasting images and files
@ 2014-02-24 18:01 ` Oleh
From: Oleh @ 2014-02-24 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

> I actually posted it here:
>
> https://github.com/railwaycat/emacs-mac-port/issues/43
>
> Emacs + orgmode is the best combo for everything related to information
> management. I've tried Evernote a couple of times, but the workflow feels
> slow and awkward, no matter how polished they make the app.
>
> One things that I miss is a fast workflow for "embedding" images and files
> in my org files, though. See the ticket description for more details.
>
> I'd be willing to actually take the time and try to implement it, could be a
> good learning experience.
>
> Does anyone else think these new features would be a nice addition?
>
> I want to make sure it's not possible with a simpler approach as well, so if
> you know a similar workflow is possible, please share.

Image drag and drop is already implemented at
org-mode/contrib/lisp/org-download.el.
All you have to do is:

    (require 'org-download)

It also does screenshots.
Any issues can be reported to https://github.com/abo-abo/org-download/issues

regards,
Oleh

* Re: Drag and drop, pasting images and files
@ 2014-02-25 17:20   ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2014-02-25 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleh; +Cc: Org Mode

Niiice! Thanks for sharing Oleh.

Does anyone know if a paste hook would be possible for the exact same use
case?

@ 2014-02-25 17:28     ` Oleh
From: Oleh @ 2014-02-25 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: Org Mode

> Niiice! Thanks for sharing Oleh.
>
> Does anyone know if a paste hook would be possible for the exact same use
> case?

`org-download-yank` will insert the image based on the address in the kill ring.
Address can be a path to a local file (remember "0 w" in `dired`)
or a http link.

regards,
Oleh

* Re: Drag and drop, pasting images and files
@ 2014-02-25 18:07       ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2014-02-25 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleh; +Cc: Org Mode

That's simply awesome. I'll test it out. Thanks Oleh.

@ 2014-02-26  6:05         ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-02-26  6:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> writes:

> That's simply awesome. I'll test it out. Thanks Oleh.
>

> On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 11:28 AM, Oleh <ohwoeowho@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     > Niiice! Thanks for sharing Oleh.
>     >
>     > Does anyone know if a paste hook would be possible for the
>     exact same use
>     > case?
>     >

>     `org-download-yank` will insert the image based on the address in
>     the kill ring.
>     Address can be a path to a local file (remember "0 w" in `dired`)
>     or a http link.

You can also just call org-insert-link with a "C-u" prefix. That will
give you the regular find-file interface, and then insert a link to
whatever file you find. Very useful!