* [BUG] org-clock-in menu scrolls off the top of the window
@ 2013-04-07 18:40 Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2013-04-07 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Bastien,

Another change I've noticed in master is the display of the clocking
task menu when doing

C-u M-x org-clock-in

I've reduced my clocking menu items a bit due to screen size changes and
not being able to see the items that scroll off the top of the screen
(normally the most recent items are the ones I'm looking for but on
small screens the menu scrolls up and I can't see the recent items).

My current setting is (setq org-clock-history-length 23)

My menu for clock-in tasks currently runs 1-9,A-N and starts with the
"Current Clocking Task" on line 1.  I have a widescreen monitor in
windows and the bottom half of the menu is blank when the screen splits
horizontally to display the clock in menu -- it seems to be centered
near the last item in the list but this scrolls the default and
interrupted clocking task entries off the top of the screen.

There is no way to scroll this menu that I am aware of.

The buffer *Clock Task Select* has

,----
| Default Task
| [d] Organize        Organization
| The task interrupted by starting the last one
| [i] Organize        Organization
| Current Clocking Task
| [c] SomeProject     TODO SomeTask
| Recent Tasks
| [1] SomeProject     TODO SomeTask
| [2] Organize        Organization
| [3] refile          TODO foo
| [N] refile          SomeOtherRefileTask
`----

but it scrolls with C-u M-x org-clock-in so it looks like this

,----
| Current Clocking Task
| [c] SomeProject     TODO SomeTask
| Recent Tasks
| [1] SomeProject     TODO SomeTask
| [2] Organize        Organization
| [3] refile          TODO foo
| [N] refile          SomeOtherRefileTask
| ... <lots of blank lines>
`----

Thanks,
Bernt

* Re: [BUG] org-clock-in menu scrolls off the top of the window
@ 2013-04-07 19:38 ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2013-04-07 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Bernt, Bastien,

Bernt Hansen wrote:
> Another change I've noticed in master is the display of the clocking
> task menu when doing
>
> C-u M-x org-clock-in
>
> I've reduced my clocking menu items a bit due to screen size changes and
> not being able to see the items that scroll off the top of the screen
> (normally the most recent items are the ones I'm looking for but on
> small screens the menu scrolls up and I can't see the recent items).
>
> My current setting is (setq org-clock-history-length 23)
>
> My menu for clock-in tasks currently runs 1-9,A-N and starts with the
> "Current Clocking Task" on line 1.  I have a widescreen monitor in
> windows and the bottom half of the menu is blank when the screen splits
> horizontally to display the clock in menu -- it seems to be centered
> near the last item in the list but this scrolls the default and
> interrupted clocking task entries off the top of the screen.
>
> There is no way to scroll this menu that I am aware of.
>
> The buffer *Clock Task Select* has
>
> ,----
> | Default Task
> | [d] Organize        Organization
> | The task interrupted by starting the last one
> | [i] Organize        Organization
> | Current Clocking Task
> | [c] SomeProject     TODO SomeTask
> | Recent Tasks
> | [1] SomeProject     TODO SomeTask
> | [2] Organize        Organization
> | [3] refile          TODO foo
> | [N] refile          SomeOtherRefileTask
> `----
>
> but it scrolls with C-u M-x org-clock-in so it looks like this
>
> ,----
> | Current Clocking Task
> | [c] SomeProject     TODO SomeTask
> | Recent Tasks
> | [1] SomeProject     TODO SomeTask
> | [2] Organize        Organization
> | [3] refile          TODO foo
> | [N] refile          SomeOtherRefileTask
> | ... <lots of blank lines>
> `----

As your data is not that true, I can't tell from what you show, but another
thing that I've seen (in my config) is that many tasks are duplicated, hence
the list is much longer that needed.

Do you see that as well in your case?

For example, it seems to me that (in the second screen) item 1 is redundant
with item c. In the first screen, items d, i and 2 seem redundant, while items
c and 1 seem also redundant.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: [BUG] org-clock-in menu scrolls off the top of the window
@ 2013-04-08 23:46   ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2013-04-08 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Vauban; +Cc: public-emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

"Sebastien Vauban"
<wxhgmqzgwmuf-geNee64TY+gS+FvcfC7Uqw@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Hi Bernt, Bastien,
>
> Bernt Hansen wrote:
>> Another change I've noticed in master is the display of the clocking
>> task menu when doing
>>
>> C-u M-x org-clock-in
>>
>> I've reduced my clocking menu items a bit due to screen size changes and
>> not being able to see the items that scroll off the top of the screen
>> (normally the most recent items are the ones I'm looking for but on
>> small screens the menu scrolls up and I can't see the recent items).
>>
>> My current setting is (setq org-clock-history-length 23)
>>
>> My menu for clock-in tasks currently runs 1-9,A-N and starts with the
>> "Current Clocking Task" on line 1.  I have a widescreen monitor in
>> windows and the bottom half of the menu is blank when the screen splits
>> horizontally to display the clock in menu -- it seems to be centered
>> near the last item in the list but this scrolls the default and
>> interrupted clocking task entries off the top of the screen.
>>
>> There is no way to scroll this menu that I am aware of.
>>
>> The buffer *Clock Task Select* has
>>
>> ,----
>> | Default Task
>> | [d] Organize        Organization
>> | The task interrupted by starting the last one
>> | [i] Organize        Organization
>> | Current Clocking Task
>> | [c] SomeProject     TODO SomeTask
>> | Recent Tasks
>> | [1] SomeProject     TODO SomeTask
>> | [2] Organize        Organization
>> | [3] refile          TODO foo
>> | [N] refile          SomeOtherRefileTask
>> `----
>>
>> but it scrolls with C-u M-x org-clock-in so it looks like this
>>
>> ,----
>> | Current Clocking Task
>> | [c] SomeProject     TODO SomeTask
>> | Recent Tasks
>> | [1] SomeProject     TODO SomeTask
>> | [2] Organize        Organization
>> | [3] refile          TODO foo
>> | [N] refile          SomeOtherRefileTask
>> | ... <lots of blank lines>
>> `----
>
> As your data is not that true, I can't tell from what you show, but another
> thing that I've seen (in my config) is that many tasks are duplicated, hence
> the list is much longer that needed.
>
> Do you see that as well in your case?
>
> For example, it seems to me that (in the second screen) item 1 is redundant
> with item c. In the first screen, items d, i and 2 seem redundant, while items
> c and 1 seem also redundant.

Hi Seb,

The data has been modified but the duplication isn't new.  The only
tasks I renamed were 'SomeTask' and 'SomeOtherRefileTask'.  I used
capture to create foo as a temporary task (which I subsequently
deleted).  The actual task list came from projects at my work.

Duplicated tasks in my displayed menu are really duplicated and as far
as I know that behaviour hasn't changed.

If there is a default, and current task (all the same) then [d], [c],
and [1] will all be identical.  The default task is only displayed when
a default clocking task is identified (which is always for me).  [c] may
not be that useful to display since we can just quit and leave the clock
alone.

Personally I like the duplication in the history list (it's a true view
of what was clocked in recently)

The main thing I'm reporting is all the whitespace now at the bottom of
the screen since the list is artificially scrolled up.  I used to be
able to determine exactly what fit in the list so I set my history
length appropriately.

Regards,

@ 2013-04-09  7:36     ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2013-04-09  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Bernt Hansen,

Bernt Hansen wrote:
> "Sebastien Vauban" writes:
>> Bernt Hansen wrote:
>>> Another change I've noticed in master is the display of the clocking
>>> task menu when doing
>>>
>>> C-u M-x org-clock-in
>>>
>>> I've reduced my clocking menu items a bit due to screen size changes and
>>> not being able to see the items that scroll off the top of the screen
>>> (normally the most recent items are the ones I'm looking for but on
>>> small screens the menu scrolls up and I can't see the recent items).
>>>
>>> My current setting is (setq org-clock-history-length 23)
>>>
>>> My menu for clock-in tasks currently runs 1-9,A-N and starts with the
>>> "Current Clocking Task" on line 1.  I have a widescreen monitor in
>>> windows and the bottom half of the menu is blank when the screen splits
>>> horizontally to display the clock in menu -- it seems to be centered
>>> near the last item in the list but this scrolls the default and
>>> interrupted clocking task entries off the top of the screen.
>>>
>>> There is no way to scroll this menu that I am aware of.
>>>
>>> The buffer *Clock Task Select* has
>>>
>>> ,----
>>> `----
>>>
>>> but it scrolls with C-u M-x org-clock-in so it looks like this
>>>
>>> ,----
>>> `----
>>
>> As your data is not that true, I can't tell from what you show, but another
>> thing that I've seen (in my config) is that many tasks are duplicated, hence
>> the list is much longer that needed.
>>
>> Do you see that as well in your case?
>>
>> For example, it seems to me that (in the second screen) item 1 is redundant
>> with item c. In the first screen, items d, i and 2 seem redundant, while items
>> c and 1 seem also redundant.
>
> The data has been modified but the duplication isn't new. The only tasks I
> renamed were 'SomeTask' and 'SomeOtherRefileTask'. I used capture to create
> foo as a temporary task (which I subsequently deleted). The actual task list
> came from projects at my work.
>
> Duplicated tasks in my displayed menu are really duplicated and as far as I
> know that behaviour hasn't changed.
>
> If there is a default, and current task (all the same) then [d], [c], and
> [1] will all be identical. The default task is only displayed when a default
> clocking task is identified (which is always for me). [c] may not be that
> useful to display since we can just quit and leave the clock alone.
>
> Personally I like the duplication in the history list (it's a true view of
> what was clocked in recently)

Personally, I would find it clearer to see every task at most once, be it as
"default", "interrupted" or in the list. So, the interrupted task wouldn't be
duplicated in the list. But I can understand that this is a question of taste.

Something which is not a question of taste, IMHO, is that items are sometimes
duplicated within the 1..N list: I have, for example,

Recent Tasks
[1] Read emails
[2] Organize work
[3] Organize work
[4] Prepare meeting

Items 2 and 3 are the same one -- I don't have "Organize work" duplicated
within my agenda files. I don't understand why it's duped in there. Ever
observed this as well?

> The main thing I'm reporting is all the whitespace now at the bottom of the
> screen since the list is artificially scrolled up. I used to be able to
> determine exactly what fit in the list so I set my history length
> appropriately.

I know that item duplication is a side-question, but it does consume real
screen estate...

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: [BUG] org-clock-in menu scrolls off the top of the window
@ 2013-04-09 17:41 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-04-09 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Bernt,

Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:

> Another change I've noticed in master is the display of the clocking
> task menu when doing
>
> C-u M-x org-clock-in

Thanks, this is now fixed.

Also, I added clocked-out time for each task.

Let me know if you think it's useful or too much
visual stress.

--
 Bastien

* Re: [BUG] org-clock-in menu scrolls off the top of the window
@ 2013-04-11 21:06   ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2013-04-11 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi Bernt,
>
> Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:
>
>> Another change I've noticed in master is the display of the clocking
>> task menu when doing
>>
>> C-u M-x org-clock-in
>
> Thanks, this is now fixed.
>
> Also, I added clocked-out time for each task.
>
> Let me know if you think it's useful or too much
> visual stress.

Thanks Bastien.

I don't like the additional timestamp information.  When I split my
window horizontally (on my old non-widescreen monitor) too much of the
task text is cut off.  The relative positions of the items in the list
is much more important to me than exactly when they were last clocked
in.

I usually visually scroll down from top to bottom to clock in an
unfinished task (the last one I worked on) and I don't care if this was
5 minutes ago or yesterday in the list.

@ 2013-04-12 11:41       ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2013-04-12 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Vauban; +Cc: public-emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

"Sebastien Vauban"
<wxhgmqzgwmuf-geNee64TY+gS+FvcfC7Uqw@public.gmane.org> writes:

>> If there is a default, and current task (all the same) then [d], [c], and
>> [1] will all be identical. The default task is only displayed when a default
>> clocking task is identified (which is always for me). [c] may not be that
>> useful to display since we can just quit and leave the clock alone.
>>
>> Personally I like the duplication in the history list (it's a true view of
>> what was clocked in recently)
>
> Personally, I would find it clearer to see every task at most once, be it as
> "default", "interrupted" or in the list. So, the interrupted task wouldn't be
> duplicated in the list. But I can understand that this is a question of taste.
>
> Something which is not a question of taste, IMHO, is that items are sometimes
> duplicated within the 1..N list: I have, for example,
>
> Recent Tasks
> [1] Read emails
> [2] Organize work
> [3] Organize work
> [4] Prepare meeting
>
> Items 2 and 3 are the same one -- I don't have "Organize work" duplicated
> within my agenda files. I don't understand why it's duped in there. Ever
> observed this as well?
>
>> The main thing I'm reporting is all the whitespace now at the bottom of the
>> screen since the list is artificially scrolled up. I used to be able to
>> determine exactly what fit in the list so I set my history length
>> appropriately.
>
> I know that item duplication is a side-question, but it does consume real
> screen estate...

Hi Seb,

I'm fine with removing duplicates in the 1-N list.

@ 2013-04-12 15:57     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-04-12 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:

> I don't like the additional timestamp information.

It is now removed.

--
 Bastien

* Re: [BUG] org-clock-in menu scrolls off the top of the window
@ 2013-04-13  8:24         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-04-13  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: public-emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ, Sebastien Vauban

Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:

> I'm fine with removing duplicates in the 1-N list.

Done.

--
 Bastien

* Re: [BUG] org-clock-in menu scrolls off the top of the window
@ 2013-04-14 11:32       ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2013-04-14 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:
>
>> I don't like the additional timestamp information.
>
> It is now removed.

Thanks!