* How do I chain babel blocks with arguments?
@ 2014-04-16 17:04 Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2014-04-16 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I have several babel blocks that each work well, but I'm now trying to
chain them to build some bigger functionality out of them. I'm having
trouble finding out how to pass arguments between blocks. Here is
a small example:

#+name: test1
#+begin_src emacs-lisp :var x="foo"
#+end_src

#+name:test2
#+begin_src emacs-lisp :var z="bar" :var y=test1(x=z)
#+end_src

#+call: test2(z="baz")

Unfortunately this does not work: the evaluation of block `test2' fails
by telling me `z' does not exist.

How can I execute block `test1' from block `test2' by passing an
argument that is one from test2?

Thanks,

Alan

* Re: How do I chain babel blocks with arguments?
@ 2014-04-16 20:49 ` Charles Berry
From: Charles Berry @ 2014-04-16 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt <at> polytechnique.org> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I have several babel blocks that each work well, but I'm now trying to
> chain them to build some bigger functionality out of them. I'm having
> trouble finding out how to pass arguments between blocks. Here is
> a small example:

> #+name: test1
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp :var x="foo"
> #+end_src
>
> #+name:test2
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp :var z="bar" :var y=test1(x=z)
> #+end_src
>
> #+call: test2(z="baz")
>
> Unfortunately this does not work: the evaluation of block `test2' fails
> by telling me `z' does not exist.
>
> How can I execute block `test1' from block `test2' by passing an
> argument that is one from test2?

This is not pretty, but it works:

#+name:test2
#+begin_src emacs-lisp :var z="bar"
  (let ((y (org-sbe test1 (x (intern z)))))
    y)
#+end_src

HTH,

Chuck

* Re: How do I chain babel blocks with arguments?
@ 2014-04-17  5:42 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2014-04-17  5:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Schmitt; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I have several babel blocks that each work well, but I'm now trying to
> chain them to build some bigger functionality out of them. I'm having
> trouble finding out how to pass arguments between blocks. Here is
> a small example:

> #+name: test1
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp :var x="foo"
> #+end_src
>
> #+name:test2
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp :var z="bar" :var y=test1(x=z)
> #+end_src
>
> #+call: test2(z="baz")
>
> Unfortunately this does not work: the evaluation of block `test2' fails
> by telling me `z' does not exist.
>
> How can I execute block `test1' from block `test2' by passing an
> argument that is one from test2?

#+name: z
: bar

#+name: test1
#+begin_src emacs-lisp :var x="foo"
#+end_src

#+name:test2
#+begin_src emacs-lisp :var y=test1(x=z)
#+end_src

#+RESULTS: test2
: bar

Best, Eric

--
Eric Schulte
https://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte

* Re: How do I chain babel blocks with arguments?
@ 2014-04-17 10:11   ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2014-04-17 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Berry; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello Charles,

On 2014-04-16 22:49, Charles Berry <ccberry@ucsd.edu> writes:

>> I have several babel blocks that each work well, but I'm now trying to
>> chain them to build some bigger functionality out of them. I'm having
>> trouble finding out how to pass arguments between blocks. Here is
>> a small example:

>> #+name: test1
>> #+begin_src emacs-lisp :var x="foo"
>> #+end_src
>>
>> #+name:test2
>> #+begin_src emacs-lisp :var z="bar" :var y=test1(x=z)
>> #+end_src
>>
>> #+call: test2(z="baz")
>>
>> Unfortunately this does not work: the evaluation of block `test2' fails
>> by telling me `z' does not exist.
>>
>> How can I execute block `test1' from block `test2' by passing an
>> argument that is one from test2?
>
> This is not pretty, but it works:
>
> #+name:test2
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp :var z="bar"
>   (let ((y (org-sbe test1 (x (intern z)))))
>     y)
> #+end_src

Thank you for the suggestion, but it returns a symbol and not the
string. In the more complex setting I'm playing with I need a string
there.

By the way, this is something that I really don't understand about sbe:
what is allowed as functions inside it? If I do the simple

#+name:test2
#+begin_src emacs-lisp :var z="bar"
  (let ((y (org-sbe test1 (x z))))
    y)
#+end_src

then it fails, telling me 'z' does not exist. But for some reason,
adding "intern" lets 'z' get the "bar" value and be converted to the bar
symbol.

Is there documentation about what is allowed in sbe? (I had another
similar problem recently, see
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/84522).

@ 2014-04-17 10:24     ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2014-04-17 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:

>> #+name:test2
>> #+begin_src emacs-lisp :var z="bar"
>>   (let ((y (org-sbe test1 (x (intern z)))))
>>     y)
>> #+end_src
>
> Thank you for the suggestion, but it returns a symbol and not the
> string. In the more complex setting I'm playing with I need a string
> there.

w/o knowing what this thread is about (since I did not follow it) I
would say that all you need is

,----------------
| (symbol-name y)
`----------------

as last expression.

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: How do I chain babel blocks with arguments?
@ 2014-04-17 11:37       ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2014-04-17 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten Jolitz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2014-04-17 12:24, Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> writes:

> Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:
>
>>> #+name:test2
>>> #+begin_src emacs-lisp :var z="bar"
>>>   (let ((y (org-sbe test1 (x (intern z)))))
>>>     y)
>>> #+end_src
>>
>> Thank you for the suggestion, but it returns a symbol and not the
>> string. In the more complex setting I'm playing with I need a string
>> there.
>
> w/o knowing what this thread is about (since I did not follow it) I
> would say that all you need is
>
> ,----------------
> | (symbol-name y)
> `----------------
>
> as last expression.

Thanks, this helped me much!

So the solution is to use "eval", which seems to be interpreted by
org-sbe:

#+name: test1
#+begin_src emacs-lisp :var x="foo"
#+end_src

#+name: test2
#+begin_src emacs-lisp :var z="bar"
  (let ((y (org-sbe test1 (x (eval z)))))
    y)
#+end_src

#+results: test2
: bar

#+call: test2(z="baz")

#+results:
: baz

I still would really like what can (and cannot) be done with sbe, but
this should be enough to let me make progress.

Thanks again,

@ 2014-04-18  6:43   ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2014-04-18  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Eric,

On 2014-04-17 07:42, Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:

> Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:
>
>> How can I execute block `test1' from block `test2' by passing an
>> argument that is one from test2?
>>

> #+name: z
> : bar
> #+name: test1
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp :var x="foo"
> #+end_src
>
> #+name:test2
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp :var y=test1(x=z)
> #+end_src
> #+RESULTS: test2
> : bar

Thank you for the suggestion, but I'm afraid it does not do what I want:
I cannot pass a different argument 'z' to test2 (called test4 in the
following snippet):

#+name: z
: "bar"
#+name: test3
#+begin_src emacs-lisp :var x="foo"
#+end_src

#+name:test4
#+begin_src emacs-lisp :var y=test1(x=z)
#+end_src

#+results: test4
: "bar"

#+call: test4(z="BAZ")

#+results:
: "bar"

In this case, org-sbe works great, and I've been able to achieve what
I want. I still need to clean it up before describing it to the list.

@ 2014-04-20  1:41     ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2014-04-20  1:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Schmitt; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Eric Schulte

> #+name: z
> : "bar"
> #+name: test3
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp :var x="foo"
> #+end_src
>
> #+name:test4
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp :var y=test1(x=z)
> #+end_src
>
> #+results: test4
> : "bar"
>
> #+call: test4(z="BAZ")
                ^
The above line has an error, your "z" should be an "x".

Best,

--
Eric Schulte
https://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte

* Re: How do I chain babel blocks with arguments?
@ 2014-04-20  3:33       ` Xebar Saram
From: Xebar Saram @ 2014-04-20  3:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte, tjolitz; +Cc: Alan Schmitt, emacs-orgmode

Hi guys

a related newbie question that occurred to me from reading this thread
(sorry for "crashing" the thread :)). if i understand correctly from the
above posts, is there a way to batch evaluate multiple org mode code blocks
at once?
My use case is using babel with R statistics where i have multiple code
blocks and would like to run 10-12 blocks together in a consecutive order,
is that possible? if so how is this done?

best

@ 2014-04-21  1:22         ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2014-04-21  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xebar Saram; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Alan Schmitt, tjolitz

Xebar Saram <zeltakc@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi guys
>
> a related newbie question that occurred to me from reading this thread
> (sorry for "crashing" the thread :)). if i understand correctly from the
> above posts, is there a way to batch evaluate multiple org mode code blocks
> at once?
> My use case is using babel with R statistics where i have multiple code
> blocks and would like to run 10-12 blocks together in a consecutive order,
> is that possible? if so how is this done?

Yes.  See `org-babel-execute-buffer' and `org-babel-execute-subtree'.

Best,

--
Eric Schulte
https://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte

* Re: How do I chain babel blocks with arguments?
@ 2014-04-22  6:53       ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2014-04-22  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Eric,

On 2014-04-20 03:41, Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:

>> #+name: z
>> : "bar"
>> #+name: test3
>> #+begin_src emacs-lisp :var x="foo"
>> #+end_src
>>
>> #+name:test4
>> #+begin_src emacs-lisp :var y=test1(x=z)
>> #+end_src
>>
>> #+results: test4
>> : "bar"
>>
>> #+call: test4(z="BAZ")
>                 ^
> The above line has an error, your "z" should be an "x".

I tried this change, and the argument is not taken into account:

#+call: test4(x="BAZ")

#+results:
: "bar"

I'm not sure I mentioned it earlier, but I found a workaround using
`org-sbe'.

@ 2014-04-22 11:30         ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2014-04-22 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Schmitt; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Eric Schulte

Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:

> Hi Eric,
>
> On 2014-04-20 03:41, Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>>> #+name: z
>>> : "bar"
>>> #+name: test3
>>> #+begin_src emacs-lisp :var x="foo"
>>> #+end_src
>>>
>>> #+name:test4
>>> #+begin_src emacs-lisp :var y=test1(x=z)
>>> #+end_src
>>>
>>> #+results: test4
>>> : "bar"
>>>
>>> #+call: test4(z="BAZ")
>>                 ^
>> The above line has an error, your "z" should be an "x".
>
> I tried this change, and the argument is not taken into account:

> #+call: test4(x="BAZ")
>
> #+results:
> : "bar"

Sorry, that's because the "x" should be "z".  See the following.

#+name: z
: "bar"
#+name: test3
#+begin_src emacs-lisp :var x="foo"
#+end_src

#+RESULTS: test3
: foo

#+name:test4
#+begin_src emacs-lisp :var y=test3(x=z)
#+end_src

#+results: test4
: "bar"

#+call: test4(y="BAZ")

#+RESULTS:
: BAZ

> I'm not sure I mentioned it earlier, but I found a workaround using
> `org-sbe'.

Yes, I had noticed, but simple argument passing is also sufficient.

Best,

--
Eric Schulte
https://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte

* Re: How do I chain babel blocks with arguments?
@ 2014-04-22 12:47           ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2014-04-22 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Eric,

On 2014-04-22 13:30, Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:

> Sorry, that's because the "x" should be "z".  See the following.
>
> #+name: z
> : "bar"
> #+name: test3
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp :var x="foo"
> #+end_src
>
> #+RESULTS: test3
> : foo
>
> #+name:test4
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp :var y=test3(x=z)
> #+end_src
>
> #+results: test4
> : "bar"
>
> #+call: test4(y="BAZ")
>
> #+RESULTS:
> : BAZ

I'm afraid I'm not being clear: I want to use the result of `test3' in
the computation done to test4. Intuitively, I want test4 to be something
like: "(lambda (x) (... (test3 x) ...))". This is why I was writing
a header of the form:

> #+begin_src emacs-lisp :var x="foo" :var y=test3(x)

where x would be given by the call to the block, and y would only be
used internally.

@ 2014-04-24  1:16             ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2014-04-24  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Schmitt; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:

> Hi Eric,
>
> On 2014-04-22 13:30, Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Sorry, that's because the "x" should be "z".  See the following.
>>
>> #+name: z
>> : "bar"
>> #+name: test3
>> #+begin_src emacs-lisp :var x="foo"
>> #+end_src
>>
>> #+RESULTS: test3
>> : foo
>>
>> #+name:test4
>> #+begin_src emacs-lisp :var y=test3(x=z)
>> #+end_src
>>
>> #+results: test4
>> : "bar"
>>
>> #+call: test4(y="BAZ")
>>
>> #+RESULTS:
>> : BAZ
>
> I'm afraid I'm not being clear: I want to use the result of `test3' in
> the computation done to test4. Intuitively, I want test4 to be something
> like: "(lambda (x) (... (test3 x) ...))". This is why I was writing
> a header of the form:
>
>> #+begin_src emacs-lisp :var x="foo" :var y=test3(x)
>
> where x would be given by the call to the block, and y would only be
> used internally.

I see, then sbe is probably the way to go.

Best,

--
Eric Schulte
https://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte