* Using code block function as formula in tables
@ 2017-01-11 13:13 Roland Everaert
From: Roland Everaert @ 2017-01-11 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Is it possible to call a code block from a table field as it is a formula?

I have tried the following syntax from a field in a table, but none of them
is interpreted as expected:

- #+CALL: function(parameters)
- call_function(parameters)

The goal is to use the result of the call in other formulas of the table.

Regards,

Roland.

* Re: Using code block function as formula in tables
@ 2017-01-11 14:51 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2017-01-11 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roland Everaert; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Roland Everaert <reveatwork@gmail.com> writes:

> Is it possible to call a code block from a table field as it is a formula?
>
> I have tried the following syntax from a field in a table, but none of them
> is interpreted as expected:
>
> - #+CALL: function(parameters)
> - call_function(parameters)
>
> The goal is to use the result of the call in other formulas of the
> table.

It is called org-sbe(parameters). Unfortunately, it is not documented in the
manual. There is <http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/intro.html>
however. Search for "org-sbe" there.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Using code block function as formula in tables
@ 2017-01-12 12:37   ` Roland Everaert
From: Roland Everaert @ 2017-01-12 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

It works. But I had to set some headers  in the code block itself as
following:

 :exports results :results value

I suppose, I can specify them directly in the org-sbe call, like with
inline calls or call through #+CALL?

This feature really needs to be documented and extensively.

Thanks,

@ 2017-01-12 12:55     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2017-01-12 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roland Everaert; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Roland Everaert <reveatwork@gmail.com> writes:

> It works. But I had to set some headers  in the code block itself as
> following:
>
>  :exports results :results value
>
> I suppose, I can specify them directly in the org-sbe call, like with
> inline calls or call through #+CALL?

See `org-sbe' docstring.

> This feature really needs to be documented and extensively.

I agree. Patches welcome.

Nicolas Goaziou