* unintended strike-through in table
@ 2012-04-20 18:27 Skip Collins
From: Skip Collins @ 2012-04-20 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-org list

When I open the following table in org, the characters from the first
+ symbol in +bar to the last + symbol on the next line are struck out,
i.e. drawn with a line through the text.

#+STARTUP: showall
* foo
| C | D    |
| E | +bar |
|---+------|

I do not believe this is intended behavior for +strike-through+ text.
The + symbol serves triple duty in org syntax as a an indicator for
+stricken words+, a line drawing symbol in tables, and a #+keyword
prefix.

I see little reason to continue to support +strike-through+ text.
Perhaps the simplest solution would be to deprecate stricken text and
disable it by default, allowing for an option to turn it on for
backward compatibility.

* Re: unintended strike-through in table
@ 2012-04-20 23:13 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-04-20 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Skip Collins; +Cc: emacs-org list

Hi Skip,

Skip Collins <skip.collins@gmail.com> writes:

> I see little reason to continue to support +strike-through+ text.
> Perhaps the simplest solution would be to deprecate stricken text and
> disable it by default, allowing for an option to turn it on for
> backward compatibility.

I agree.  If no one object, I will make this change soon.

 Bastien

* Re: unintended strike-through in table
@ 2012-04-21  9:04   ` Gustav Wikström
From: Gustav Wikström @ 2012-04-21  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Skip Collins, emacs-org list

On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 1:13 AM, Bastien <bzg@altern.org> wrote:

> Hi Skip,
>
> Skip Collins <skip.collins@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I see little reason to continue to support +strike-through+ text.
> > Perhaps the simplest solution would be to deprecate stricken text and
> > disable it by default, allowing for an option to turn it on for
> > backward compatibility.
>
> I agree.  If no one object, I will make this change soon.
>
> Although I cannot recall myself having used strike-through text I wonder
what the reason is for removing the functionality? Is it just this, that it
(probably) isn't used much? Not a good argument in my book (especially due
to the uncertainty in usage). Would it not be better to fix the problem at
hand? Maybe by changing the symbol since + seems overloaded, would not - be
a better choice?

On a side-note, what is the intended behavior of bold, italic,
strike-through etc. regarding line-breaks? Since a single long line has the
same meaning in org as multiple consecutive short lines I think the
markup-elements above also should support multiple lines of text (but not
be valid between paragraphs)

Regards Gustav

* Re: unintended strike-through in table
@ 2012-04-21 14:35 ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2012-04-21 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Skip Collins <skip.collins@gmail.com> writes:

> I do not believe this is intended behavior for +strike-through+ text.
> The + symbol serves triple duty in org syntax as a an indicator for
> +stricken words+, a line drawing symbol in tables, and a #+keyword
> prefix.

It can also be an item which is a problem with LaTeX math.

Example:
\begin{equation}
+ y
wv
- z
\end{equation}

is translated to

\begin{equation}
\begin{itemize}
\item y
\end{itemize}
wv
\begin{itemize}
\item z
\end{itemize}
\end{equation}

I guess one could wrap it in #+begin_latex · #+end_latex, but that would
be cubersome.

–Rasmus

--
In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice they are not