* records/diary/journal?
@ 2015-05-30 15:25 Peter Davis
From: Peter Davis @ 2015-05-30 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Over time, I keep finding more and more uses for org-mode. It's now my
main tool for keeping an agenda/todo list, and for writing informal
documents including images, GraphViz diagrams, etc. And I still haven't
scratched the surface.

Years ago, I used records-mode as a quick way to keep notes about what I
did each day, so I could refer to them later. I haven't found an
org-mode substitute for that. Is there some feature of combination of
features that let's me enter notes arranged by date, create links to
earlier notes referencing the same terms, etc.?

Thank you.

-pd

--
----
Peter Davis

* Re: records/diary/journal?
@ 2015-05-30 15:42 ` Samuel W. Flint
From: Samuel W. Flint @ 2015-05-30 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Davis; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Peter Davis <pfd@pfdstudio.com> writes:

> Over time, I keep finding more and more uses for org-mode. It's now my
> main tool for keeping an agenda/todo list, and for writing informal
> documents including images, GraphViz diagrams, etc. And I still
> haven't scratched the surface.
>
> Years ago, I used records-mode as a quick way to keep notes about what
> I did each day, so I could refer to them later. I haven't found an
> org-mode substitute for that. Is there some feature of combination of
> features that let's me enter notes arranged by date, create links to
> earlier notes referencing the same terms, etc.?

Capture!  This is what it's meant for!  I'd use the Date-tree style
templates.  And don't forget about tags/categories for searching.

> Thank you.
>
> -pd

HTH,

Sam

--
Samuel W. Flint
4096R/266596F4

[-- Attachment #2.2: signature.asc --]

* Re: records/diary/journal?
@ 2015-05-31 12:11   ` Peter Davis
From: Peter Davis @ 2015-05-31 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 5/30/15 11:42 AM, Samuel W. Flint wrote:
> Peter Davis <pfd@pfdstudio.com> writes:
>
>> Over time, I keep finding more and more uses for org-mode. It's now my
>> main tool for keeping an agenda/todo list, and for writing informal
>> documents including images, GraphViz diagrams, etc. And I still
>> haven't scratched the surface.
>>
>> Years ago, I used records-mode as a quick way to keep notes about what
>> I did each day, so I could refer to them later. I haven't found an
>> org-mode substitute for that. Is there some feature of combination of
>> features that let's me enter notes arranged by date, create links to
>> earlier notes referencing the same terms, etc.?
> Capture!  This is what it's meant for!  I'd use the Date-tree style
> templates.  And don't forget about tags/categories for searching.

Thank you, Samuel. I'll look into it further.

-pd

--
----
Peter Davis