* insert item under previous headline (feature request?)
@ 2007-09-04  5:16 Maxim Loginov
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Maxim Loginov @ 2007-09-04  5:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

hi all

It is often necessary to insert several similar TODO under one header, like:

* TODO read papers
** TODO paper 1
** TODO paper 2
** TODO paper 3

usually I look for the paper in internet and use remember to insert
such TODOs, and temporarily modify remember template in order not to
seek "* TODO read papers" headline every time. It would be good if
org-mode can remember the last used headline and insert newly created
TODO under it for example using prefix argument 0 (C-u 0 M-x remember)

I'm wondering if such feature exist or can be implemented?

thanks
Maxim

* Re: insert item under previous headline (feature request?)
@ 2007-09-04 18:19 ` Bastien
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Bastien @ 2007-09-04 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Maxim Loginov <zeliboba@mail.ru> writes:

> usually I look for the paper in internet and use remember to insert
> such TODOs, and temporarily modify remember template in order not to
> seek "* TODO read papers" headline every time. It would be good if
> org-mode can remember the last used headline and insert newly created
> TODO under it for example using prefix argument 0 (C-u 0 M-x remember)
>
> I'm wondering if such feature exist or can be implemented?

I don't know about inserting "the last used headline" but it would
certainly be useful to be able to call the last used *template*.

Maybe just an option saying org-remember-last-template-is-default so
that you'll have to choose a template the first time you call
`remember', and the next calls to `remember' will use this template
until you call `remember' again with a prefix. (If we want to use
another template and forgot to call `remember' with a prefix then no
problem, we can always switch from within the `remember' buffer.)

Further more: the first template in `org-remember-templates' could be
silently used as the default template unless we call `remember' with a
prefix argument (possible the key for the template).

Hence the meaning of the prefix to M-x remember would be something like
"change the default/last template". I guess such a set up might be okay
for those who heavily use `remember' to store TODOs.

--
Bastien

* Re: insert item under previous headline (feature request?)
@ 2007-09-05  1:00 ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2007-09-05  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Loginov; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

   I'm wondering if such feature exist or can be implemented?

Isn't this already covered by remember templates ?

	Xavier
--
http://www.gnu.org
http://www.april.org

* Re: insert item under previous headline (feature request?)
@ 2007-09-05  5:43   ` Maxim Loginov
From: Maxim Loginov @ 2007-09-05  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Xavier Maillard <xma@gnu.org> writes:

> Isn't this already covered by remember templates ?

not really... there are variables org-remember-default-headline and
org-default-notes-file but you need manually change them, it would be
good to keep the position of last inserted TODO in
org-remember-last-headline and org-remember-last-file and use them as
destination when called with prefix, even if the file and headline is
specified in template.

* Re: insert item under previous headline (feature request?)
@ 2007-09-05  5:44   ` Maxim Loginov
From: Maxim Loginov @ 2007-09-05  5:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

> I don't know about inserting "the last used headline" but it would
> certainly be useful to be able to call the last used *template*.

this is good idea as well, I vote for this also

* Re: insert item under previous headline (feature request?)
@ 2007-09-05  5:47 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-09-05  5:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Loginov; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Maxim Loginov <zeliboba@mail.ru> writes:

> usually I look for the paper in internet and use remember to insert
> such TODOs, and temporarily modify remember template in order not to
> seek "* TODO read papers" headline every time. It would be good if
> org-mode can remember the last used headline and insert newly created
> TODO under it for example using prefix argument 0 (C-u 0 M-x remember)
>
> I'm wondering if such feature exist or can be implemented?

Sorry I read your question too hastily.

Why not using *two* templates, one for headlines you want to put under
"* TODO read papers" and one for headlines you'd like to put elsewhere?

BTW, interactively selecting the place for the newly inserted remember
note does not work properly for me:

,----
| Cursor         Key         Note gets inserted
| position
| buffer-start   <RET>       as level 2 heading at end of file
| on headline    <RET>       as sublevel of the heading at cursor
|                <left>/<right>as same level, before/after current heading
| not on         <RET>       at cursor position, level taken from context.
| headline
`----

- <left>/<right> inserts notes as sublevel, not as same level.
- RET at the beginning of buffer inserts the remember note at level 1
  before the first note, not as level 2 at end of file.

Tested with 5.07a and two dummy templates like:

(setq org-remember-templates
      '((?n "* %?\n  %i\n  %a" "~/org/notes.org")
        (?N "* %?\n  %i\n  %a" "~/org/notes.org" "Notes")))

... and with a note.org like:

,----

`----

--
Bastien

* Re: insert item under previous headline (feature request?)
@ 2007-09-05 21:44   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-09-05 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Maxim Loginov, emacs-orgmode

On Sep 5, 2007, at 7:47, Bastien wrote:

> BTW, interactively selecting the place for the newly inserted remember
> note does not work properly for me:

This is, in fact, completely broken.  Very weired.

- Carsten

> ,----
> | Cursor         Key         Note gets inserted
> | position
> | buffer-start   <RET>       as level 2 heading at end of file
> | on headline    <RET>       as sublevel of the heading at cursor
> |                <left>/<right>as same level, before/after current
> heading
> | not on         <RET>       at cursor position, level taken from
> context.
> | headline
> `----
>
> - <left>/<right> inserts notes as sublevel, not as same level.
> - RET at the beginning of buffer inserts the remember note at level 1
>   before the first note, not as level 2 at end of file.
>
> Tested with 5.07a and two dummy templates like:
>
> (setq org-remember-templates
>       '((?n "* %?\n  %i\n  %a" "~/org/notes.org")
>         (?N "* %?\n  %i\n  %a" "~/org/notes.org" "Notes")))
>
> ... and with a note.org like:
>
> ,----
> | * Notes
> |
> | ** Nothing
> | ** Nothing more
> `----
>
> --
> Bastien

Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam
Kruislaan 403
NL-1098SJ Amsterdam
phone: +31 20 525 7477

* Re: insert item under previous headline (feature request?)
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-09-10 12:34 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-09-10 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Loginov; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sep 4, 2007, at 7:16, Maxim Loginov wrote:

> hi all
>
> It is often necessary to insert several similar TODO under one header,
> like:
>
> * TODO read papers
> ** TODO paper 1
> ** TODO paper 2
> ** TODO paper 3
>
> usually I look for the paper in internet and use remember to insert
> such TODOs, and temporarily modify remember template in order not to
> seek "* TODO read papers" headline every time. It would be good if
> org-mode can remember the last used headline and insert newly created
> TODO under it for example using prefix argument 0 (C-u 0 M-x remember)
>
> I'm wondering if such feature exist or can be implemented?

I like this idea a lot.  In the next version, C-u C-u C-c C-c
will file to the previously selected location, if that location comes
from a template, of if you selected it interactively with RET (not with
left or right, this would me less reliable).

The comment in the remember buffer before the note will explicitly say
which command will store the note where.

Thanks!

- Carsten