* Org Remember hooks?
@ 2008-11-18 17:18 Tim O'Callaghan
From: Tim O'Callaghan @ 2008-11-18 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

Hi,

I want to change/add to the remember mode key-map but i'm having some
problems reverting them.
That's because the remember buffer is actually org-mode in disguise,
the keys stay mapped after the remember mode buffer is closed.

Is it possible to localise the org-remember mappings, or supply a post
org-remember hook?

The function that causes trouble:
(defun toc:remap-remember-keys ()
  (define-key (current-local-map) [(control x) (control s)] 'remember-finalize)
  (define-key (current-local-map) [(meta k)]                'remember-destroy))
(add-hook 'remember-mode-hook 'toc:remap-remember-keys 'append)

Cheers,

Tim.

* Re: Org Remember hooks?
@ 2008-11-18 19:43 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-11-18 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim O'Callaghan; +Cc: org-mode

Hi Tim,

On Nov 18, 2008, at 6:18 PM, Tim O'Callaghan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to change/add to the remember mode key-map but i'm having some
> problems reverting them.
> That's because the remember buffer is actually org-mode in disguise,
> the keys stay mapped after the remember mode buffer is closed.
>
> Is it possible to localise the org-remember mappings, or supply a post
> org-remember hook?

These are both good ideas.  You are right that it is bad that it is so
difficult to change key bindings in Org's version of remember-mode.
But I think it makes a lot of sense to have the remember buffer
in Org-mode with all its power.

Here is what I have done now:

1. Finishing a remember process runs `org-remember-before-finalize-
hook'.
    You could use this to revert your bindings, but the following
    second option is better:

2. I have defined a *minor* mode, org-remember-mode with lighter "Rem"
    that is activated when Org-mode is active in a remember buffer.
    You can use its hook `org-remember-mode-hook' or also
    `remember-mode-hook' to install your keys into `org-remember-mode-
map'.
    It will *not* be necessary to turn off these keys, so for this
purpose
    you will actually not need `org-remember-before-finalize-hook',
which may
    find other uses.

This should work (untested):

(defun toc:remap-remember-keys ()
  (define-key org-remember-mode-map [(control x) (control s)]
'remember-finalize)
  (define-key org-remember-mode-map [(meta k)]
'remember-destroy))
(add-hook 'org-remember-mode-hook 'toc:remap-remember-keys 'append)

HTH

- Carsten

* Re: Org Remember hooks?
@ 2008-11-19 13:19   ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2008-11-19 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Tim O'Callaghan, org-mode

Hi Carsten,

Remember mode seems to be broken this morning.

After entering my remember note C-c C-c gives the following error

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument commandp org-remember-finalize)
  call-interactively(org-remember-finalize)

According to git bisect the following commit breaks it

fb22510c1c66af3fdfea1b63d09f358e9914a3d3 is first bad commit
commit fb22510c1c66af3fdfea1b63d09f358e9914a3d3
Author: Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com>
Date:   Wed Nov 19 11:49:17 2008 +0100

    Use the new minor mode to exit remember buffers.

    Since we have now a minor mode in remember buffers, we use its
    keymap also to exit and to abort the remember process.

:040000 040000 657feade3fc36b41315bc7db7b850b1319f74e51 37a5014d08cfb38839dfa1c9778ad67f599f4c34 M	lisp

-Bernt