* Org-mode version 6.30trans (release_6.30d.5.gc125); make fails on org-ascii.el
@ 2009-09-04 11:26 Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-09-04 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Remember to cover the basics, that is, what you expected to happen and
what in fact did happen.  You don't know how to make a good report?  See

     http://orgmode.org/manual/Feedback.html#Feedback

Your bug report will be posted to the Org-mode mailing list.

Trying to `make' org-mode fails with the following error message:

  In toplevel form:
  lisp/org-ascii.el:29:1:Error: Symbol's function definition is void:
  org-float-time
  make: *** [lisp/org-ascii.elc] Fehler 1

Opening the org-mode/lisp/ directory in dired and marking all *.el files
(`% m el$ RET) and byte-compiling them (`B') works for
org-ascii.el.
There it just failes for org-xoxo.el for the same reason.

Funny enough, both, org-ascii.el and org-xoxo.el, do not refer to
`org-float-time' themselves (while some other files do, and they do not
fail).

org-float-time is defined in org-compat.el which has this commentary:

  ;; This file contains code needed for compatibility with XEmacs and older
  ;; versions of GNU Emacs.

Best regards

   Sebastian

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.16.1)
 of 2009-08-18 on beteigeuze
Package: Org-mode version 6.30trans (release_6.30d.5.gc125)

* Re: Org-mode version 6.30trans (release_6.30d.5.gc125); make fails on org-ascii.el
@ 2009-09-04 11:41 ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-09-04 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de> writes:
> Trying to `make' org-mode fails with the following error message:
>

>   In toplevel form:
>   lisp/org-ascii.el:29:1:Error: Symbol's function definition is void:
>   org-float-time
>   make: *** [lisp/org-ascii.elc] Fehler 1
>

> Opening the org-mode/lisp/ directory in dired and marking all *.el files
> (`% m el$ RET) and byte-compiling them (`B') works for
> org-ascii.el.
> There it just failes for org-xoxo.el for the same reason.

sh$ make clean
sh$ make

does the trick...

Or even (if not clean):

sh$ make autoloads
sh$ make

I think we can live with it, as this is not unusual at all.

On the other hand: Shouldn't a simple `make' do everything needed to succeed?

  Sebastian

* Re: Org-mode version 6.30trans (release_6.30d.5.gc125); make fails on org-ascii.el
@ 2009-09-04 15:02   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-09-04 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Rose; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sep 4, 2009, at 1:41 PM, Sebastian Rose wrote:

> Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de> writes:
>> Trying to `make' org-mode fails with the following error message:
>>

>>  In toplevel form:
>>  lisp/org-ascii.el:29:1:Error: Symbol's function definition is void:
>>  org-float-time
>>  make: *** [lisp/org-ascii.elc] Fehler 1
>>

>> Opening the org-mode/lisp/ directory in dired and marking all *.el
>> files
>> (`% m el$ RET) and byte-compiling them (`B') works for
>> org-ascii.el.
>> There it just failes for org-xoxo.el for the same reason.
>

> sh$ make clean
> sh$ make
>
> does the trick...
>

> Or even (if not clean):
>
> sh$ make autoloads
> sh$ make
>

> I think we can live with it, as this is not unusual at all.
>
> On the other hand: Shouldn't a simple `make' do everything needed to
> succeed?

In principle I would agree, and if you download a zip or tar
distribution,
it works just like that.  However, in the git distro, you do
create new files which stick around when you update.

Of course we could add a "make clean" to the ALL target, but it seems
to me
that this is different from other uses of make.  Maybe the make update
should contain it?

- Carsten

@ 2009-09-05  2:54     ` Daniel Martins
From: Daniel Martins @ 2009-09-05  2:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> *On the other hand: Shouldn't a simple `make' do everything needed to
> succeed?*

On "How do I keep current with Org mode development?"

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.php#keeping-current-with-Org-mode-development

it is suggested the following commands

git pull && make clean && make && make doc && make install

I've put together with a command which updaes a bunch of svn repositories
from my students.

The problem is: make clean before make FORCES recompiling the same files
again and not only the updated files!

As org-mode is updated very often and the the compiling process is a bit
slow and always annoying
I decide to change the comand to

git pull & && make  && make install

I dropped make doc because it seems that there is som problem with texinfo
files of these new version.

The problem of omitting make clean isthat: if a file disappears its compiled
maybe will not disappear and cause problems.

Therefore I repeat Sebastien request:

*Shouldn't a simple `make' do everything needed to succeed?*

Daniel

@ 2009-09-05 12:35       ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2009-09-05 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Martins; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Daniel,

Daniel Martins <danielemc@gmail.com> writes:

>     On the other hand: Shouldn't a simple `make' do everything needed
>     to succeed?
>
> On "How do I keep current with Org mode development?"
>
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.php#
> keeping-current-with-Org-mode-development
>
> it is suggested the following commands
>
> git pull && make clean && make && make doc && make install
>
> I've put together with a command which updaes a bunch of svn
> repositories from my students.
>
> The problem is: make clean before make FORCES recompiling the same
> files again and not only the updated files!
>
> As org-mode is updated very often and the the compiling process is a
> bit slow and always annoying
> I decide to change the comand to
>
> git pull & && make  && make install
>
> I dropped make doc because it seems that there is som problem with
> texinfo files of these new version.
>
> The problem of omitting make clean isthat: if a file disappears its
> compiled maybe will not disappear and cause problems.
>
> Therefore I repeat Sebastien request:
>
> Shouldn't a simple `make' do everything needed to succeed?

I can't say anything definitive. All I know is that a simple "make &&
make install" usually works for me.

But, as far as I understand it, omitting the "make clean" has the
potential to cause problems, because org source files are occasionally
renamed or made obsolete. So if you run into any problems after an
install, you should run make clean.

Best,
Matt

* Re: Org-mode version 6.30trans (release_6.30d.5.gc125); make fails on org-ascii.el
@ 2009-09-05 13:06         ` Daniel Martins
From: Daniel Martins @ 2009-09-05 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Lundin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Is it not possible to pu tsome directive in the Makefile in order to make

check the presence of *.elc without corresponding *.el and deleting them
BEFORE or simultaneously with recompilation process?

It should improve the compilation process.

Maybe it could be create a new directive such as

make clean-install

to keep make install with backward compatibility.

Unfortunately I do not master makefile issues to do this by myself.

The phrase "omitting the "make clean" has the potential to cause problems"
may lead to "bogus bugs" here in the list. These king of bugs are really
hard ti find.

Daniel

2009/9/5 Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org>

> Hi Daniel,
>
> Daniel Martins <danielemc@gmail.com> writes:
>
> >     On the other hand: Shouldn't a simple `make' do everything needed
> >     to succeed?
> >
> > On "How do I keep current with Org mode development?"
> >
> > http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.php#
> > keeping-current-with-Org-mode-development
> >
> > it is suggested the following commands
> >
> > git pull && make clean && make && make doc && make install
> >
> > I've put together with a command which updaes a bunch of svn
> > repositories from my students.
> >
> > The problem is: make clean before make FORCES recompiling the same
> > files again and not only the updated files!
> >
> > As org-mode is updated very often and the the compiling process is a
> > bit slow and always annoying
> > I decide to change the comand to
> >
> > git pull & && make  && make install
> >
> > I dropped make doc because it seems that there is som problem with
> > texinfo files of these new version.
> >
> > The problem of omitting make clean isthat: if a file disappears its
> > compiled maybe will not disappear and cause problems.
> >
> > Therefore I repeat Sebastien request:
> >
> > Shouldn't a simple `make' do everything needed to succeed?
>
> I can't say anything definitive. All I know is that a simple "make &&
> make install" usually works for me.
>
> But, as far as I understand it, omitting the "make clean" has the
> potential to cause problems, because org source files are occasionally
> renamed or made obsolete. So if you run into any problems after an
> install, you should run make clean.
>
> Best,
> Matt

* Re: Re: Org-mode version 6.30trans (release_6.30d.5.gc125); make fails on org-ascii.el
@ 2009-09-06 11:41           ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-09-06 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Martins; +Cc: Matt Lundin, emacs-orgmode

On Sep 5, 2009, at 3:06 PM, Daniel Martins wrote:

> Is it not possible to pu tsome directive in the Makefile in order to
> make
>
> check the presence of *.elc without corresponding *.el and deleting
> them BEFORE or simultaneously with recompilation process?
>
> It should improve the compilation process.
>
> Maybe it could be create a new directive such as
>
> make clean-install
>
> to keep make install with backward compatibility.

There is already the "update" target...

- Carsten

@ 2009-09-06 20:06             ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-09-06 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> On Sep 5, 2009, at 3:06 PM, Daniel Martins wrote:
>
>> Is it not possible to pu tsome directive in the Makefile in order to make
>>
>> check the presence of *.elc without corresponding *.el and deleting them
>> BEFORE or simultaneously with recompilation process?
>>
>> It should improve the compilation process.
>>
>> Maybe it could be create a new directive such as
>>
>> make clean-install
>>
>> to keep make install with backward compatibility.
>
> There is already the "update" target...

That should be enough :) Thank's for the hint. (I should have done a
`grep -F clean Makefile'....)

  Sebastian