* any idea how to convert org file to MS WORD an retain text structure?
@ 2010-06-15 12:27 Rainer Stengele
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2010-06-15 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi!

I love to edit documents in Org.
Unfortunately I have to finally deliver text in MS Word.

Any idea how to best export/convert my org file to Word?

I tried HTML export and then imported the html in Word but
I end up in an unusable xml style document which word wants an stylesheet for which I do not have.

Any help appreciated.

Rainer

* Re: any idea how to convert org file to MS WORD an retain text structure?
@ 2010-06-15 13:01 ` Puneeth Chaganti
                     ` (3 more replies)
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Puneeth Chaganti @ 2010-06-15 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Stengele; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 5:57 PM, Rainer Stengele
<rainer.stengele@diplan.de> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I love to edit documents in Org.
> Unfortunately I have to finally deliver text in MS Word.
>
> Any idea how to best export/convert my org file to Word?
>
> I tried HTML export and then imported the html in Word but
> I end up in an unusable xml style document which word wants an stylesheet for which I do not have.

I don't have MS Word around, so I can't be sure. But, stripping off
the the xml header [ <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?> ] and
then opening it in OpenOffice works fine for me. I tested with a
simple document, with a couple of sections and sub-sections and some
unnumbered lists.

Thanks,
Puneeth

* Re: any idea how to convert org file to MS WORD an retain text structure?
@ 2010-06-15 13:01 ` moabi2000
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: moabi2000 @ 2010-06-15 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Stengele; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Export to html.
Open in OpenOffice.org
Save as .doc
Open in MS Word

Works for me. It may not be the best way though.

HTH.

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 1:27 PM, Rainer Stengele
<rainer.stengele@diplan.de> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I love to edit documents in Org.
> Unfortunately I have to finally deliver text in MS Word.
>
> Any idea how to best export/convert my org file to Word?
>
> I tried HTML export and then imported the html in Word but
> I end up in an unusable xml style document which word wants an stylesheet for which I do not have.
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> Rainer

* Re: any idea how to convert org file to MS WORD an retain text structure?
@ 2010-06-15 13:45   ` Giovanni Ridolfi
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Giovanni Ridolfi @ 2010-06-15 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Puneeth Chaganti; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Rainer Stengele

Puneeth Chaganti <punchagan@gmail.com> writes:
> <rainer.stengele@diplan.de> wrote:
>> Any idea how to best export/convert my org file to Word?
>>
>> I tried HTML export and then imported the html in Word but
>> I end up in an unusable xml style document which word wants an stylesheet for which I do not have.
>
> I don't have MS Word around, so I can't be sure. But, stripping off
> the the xml header [ <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?> ] and
> (then opening it in OpenOffice works fine for me. I tested with a)
   then opening it in word       works fine for me. ;-)

you can also dig the archives and search for somebody (Carsten?),
who suggested to use a function in the post-hook to do this automatically.

cheers,
Giovanni

* Re: any idea how to convert org file to MS WORD an retain text structure?
@ 2010-06-15 13:50   ` Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2010-06-15 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Puneeth Chaganti; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Am 15.06.2010 15:01, schrieb Puneeth Chaganti:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 5:57 PM, Rainer Stengele
> <rainer.stengele@diplan.de> wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I love to edit documents in Org.
>> Unfortunately I have to finally deliver text in MS Word.
>>
>> Any idea how to best export/convert my org file to Word?
>>
>> I tried HTML export and then imported the html in Word but
>> I end up in an unusable xml style document which word wants an stylesheet for which I do not have.
>
> I don't have MS Word around, so I can't be sure. But, stripping off
> the the xml header [ <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?> ] and
> then opening it in OpenOffice works fine for me. I tested with a
> simple document, with a couple of sections and sub-sections and some
> unnumbered lists.
>

> Thanks,
> Puneeth

yes, works fine.
My Windows OpenOffice 3.2.0 is not immediately able to save to "doc", not even to "odt".
I have to save to "sdw", then to "odt", then after opening the "odt" the saving to "doc" is possible.
I don't know why.

Thanks everybody.

@ 2010-06-15 13:51   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-06-15 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Puneeth Chaganti; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Rainer Stengele

On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 18:31:02 +0530, Puneeth Chaganti <punchagan@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 5:57 PM, Rainer Stengele
> <rainer.stengele@diplan.de> wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I love to edit documents in Org.
> > Unfortunately I have to finally deliver text in MS Word.
> >
> > Any idea how to best export/convert my org file to Word?
> >
> > I tried HTML export and then imported the html in Word but
> > I end up in an unusable xml style document which word wants an stylesheet for which I do not have.
>
> I don't have MS Word around, so I can't be sure. But, stripping off
> the the xml header [ <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?> ] and
> then opening it in OpenOffice works fine for me. I tested with a
> simple document, with a couple of sections and sub-sections and some
> unnumbered lists.

I also find myself having to strip off the xml line, the first line in
the html file created upon export.  You should be able to customise
org (of course) by changing the org-export-html-xml-declaration
variable, either getting rid of the html entry or maybe changing the
text argument.  I have not tried either.

Eric S Fraga
GnuPG: 8F5C 279D 3907 E14A 5C29  570D C891 93D8 FFFC F67D

* Re: any idea how to convert org file to MS WORD an retain text structure?
@ 2010-06-15 14:05 ` Christian Egli
From: Christian Egli @ 2010-06-15 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Rainer Stengele <rainer.stengele@diplan.de> writes:

> I love to edit documents in Org.

I know what you mean.

> Unfortunately I have to finally deliver text in MS Word.

Sometimes I find myself in that situation.

> Any idea how to best export/convert my org file to Word?

I've used latex export followed by latex2rtf in the past. Most things
work reasonably well, other like toc don't seem to work. So some manual
fidgeting is required in the end.

HTH
Christian

--
Christian Egli

* Re: any idea how to convert org file to MS WORD an retain text structure?
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-06-15 15:16   ` Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2010-06-15 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I routinely have to do this. My steps are:

 - Export org to html
 - Switch to the html export buffer (filename.html)
 - Delete the xml lines at the top until the first line is the <html> tag
 - Save the html
 - Open the html in Word

It opens fine, and preserves image links, tables, formats, etc. This
saves time. I know there was a recent ML post I made on the same
topic, and there was a reply on automation which I haven't tried yet.

Typically what's happening for me is I write a technical document in
Org, and I give it to a tech writer who uses Word to apply company
templates. They have less work to do because the Org formatting is
preserved.

Babel and image links are a boon here!

Thanks.

@ 2010-06-15 16:01     ` Srinivas
From: Srinivas @ 2010-06-15 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Russell Adams <RLAdams <at> AdamsInfoServ.Com> writes:

> I routinely have to do this. My steps are:
>
>  - Export org to html
>  - Switch to the html export buffer (filename.html)
>  - Delete the xml lines at the top until the first line is the <html> tag
>  - Save the html
>  - Open the html in Word

I follow a similar process but remove all styling as well so that Word applies
native styles (which could come from a Word template). This allows the look
and feel of the Word document to have its own styling independent of html/css
styles.

I have customized org-export-html-xml-declaration as follows so that I get an
xml declaration only for .xhtml or .php:

 '(org-export-html-xml-declaration (quote (("xhtml" . "<?xml version=\"1.0\"
encoding=\"%s\"?>") ("php" . "<?php echo \"<?xml version=\\\"1.0\\\"
encoding=\\\"%s\\\" ?>\"; ?>"))))

- Srinivas

* Re: any idea how to convert org file to MS WORD an retain text structure?
@ 2010-06-15 16:45   ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2010-06-15 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Egli; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Christian Egli <christian.egli@sbszh.ch> writes:

> Rainer Stengele <rainer.stengele@diplan.de> writes:
>
>> I love to edit documents in Org.
>
> I know what you mean.
>
>> Unfortunately I have to finally deliver text in MS Word.
>
> Sometimes I find myself in that situation.
>
>> Any idea how to best export/convert my org file to Word?
>
> I've used latex export followed by latex2rtf in the past. Most things
> work reasonably well, other like toc don't seem to work. So some manual
> fidgeting is required in the end.

+1 for latex2rtf (for simple documents).

For industrial-strength conversion, I'd recommend tex4ht. It has handled
every LaTeX feature I've thrown at it (biblatex, toc, index, footnotes)
with aplomb.

http://www.tug.org/tex4ht/

You can convert tex directly to odt and then save as a doc file within
OpenOffice.

- Matt

* Re: Re: any idea how to convert org file to MS WORD an retain text structure?
@ 2010-06-15 20:16       ` Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2010-06-15 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 04:01:21PM +0000, Srinivas wrote:
> I follow a similar process but remove all styling as well so that Word applies
> native styles (which could come from a Word template). This allows the look
> and feel of the Word document to have its own styling independent of html/css
> styles.

I guess the templates they put my stuff in aren't as complex. I like
that bold/italic/etc and tables come into Word preformatted. It would
be terrible to have to go reapply those manually in Word.

Thanks.

* Re: any idea how to convert org file to MS WORD an retain text structure?
@ 2010-06-16 13:32     ` Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2010-06-16 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Am 15.06.2010 17:16, schrieb Russell Adams:
> I routinely have to do this. My steps are:
>
>  - Export org to html
>  - Switch to the html export buffer (filename.html)
>  - Delete the xml lines at the top until the first line is the <html> tag
>  - Save the html
>  - Open the html in Word
>
> It opens fine, and preserves image links, tables, formats, etc. This
> saves time. I know there was a recent ML post I made on the same
> topic, and there was a reply on automation which I haven't tried yet.
>
> Typically what's happening for me is I write a technical document in
> Org, and I give it to a tech writer who uses Word to apply company
> templates. They have less work to do because the Org formatting is
> preserved.
>
> Babel and image links are a boon here!
>
> Thanks.
>
> On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 06:31:02PM +0530, Puneeth Chaganti wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 5:57 PM, Rainer Stengele
>> <rainer.stengele@diplan.de> wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> I love to edit documents in Org.
>>> Unfortunately I have to finally deliver text in MS Word.
>>>
>>> Any idea how to best export/convert my org file to Word?
>>>
>>> I tried HTML export and then imported the html in Word but
>>> I end up in an unusable xml style document which word wants an stylesheet for which I do not have.
>>
>> I don't have MS Word around, so I can't be sure. But, stripping off
>> the the xml header [ <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?> ] and
>> then opening it in OpenOffice works fine for me. I tested with a
>> simple document, with a couple of sections and sub-sections and some
>> unnumbered lists.
>>

>> Thanks,
>> Puneeth

Russel thank you, that is quite perfect!
As you said, Word preserves most of the formatting and pictures etc.
Looks good!

I'll stick with that, setting org-export-html-xml-declaration to

(("html" . "")
 ("was-html" . "<?xml version=\"1.0\" encoding=\"%s\"?>")
 ("php" . "<?php echo \"<?xml version=\\\"1.0\\\" encoding=\\\"%s\\\" ?>\"; ?>"))

which saves me the stripping off the xml header before importing to Word!

Excellent! This will help me a lot to produce documents (meeting protocols)
fast and easy, sharing the result through MS Word.

Thanks everybody for considering!

@ 2010-07-06 16:55 ` Gil Brandao
From: Gil Brandao @ 2010-07-06 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Rainer Stengele <rainer.stengele <at> diplan.de> writes:

> Hi!
>
> I love to edit documents in Org.
> Unfortunately I have to finally deliver text in MS Word.
>
> Any idea how to best export/convert my org file to Word?
>
> I tried HTML export and then imported the html in Word but
> I end up in an unusable xml style document which word wants an stylesheet for
which I do not have.

> Any help appreciated.

 I just used latex2rtf[1] in a simple document and it performed very well :)
(workflow: org->tex->rft )

Gil Brandao

[1] http://latex2rtf.sourceforge.net/

* Re: Re: any idea how to convert org file to MS WORD an retain text structure?
@ 2010-07-06 19:25   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-07-06 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gil Brandao; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, 6 Jul 2010 16:55:35 +0000 (UTC), Gil Brandao <madskaddie@gmail.com> wrote:

> Rainer Stengele <rainer.stengele <at> diplan.de> writes:
>

> > Hi!
> >
> > I love to edit documents in Org.
> > Unfortunately I have to finally deliver text in MS Word.
> >
> > Any idea how to best export/convert my org file to Word?
> >
> > I tried HTML export and then imported the html in Word but
> > I end up in an unusable xml style document which word wants an stylesheet for
> which I do not have.
> >
> > Any help appreciated.

The problem here is the first line of an exported HTML document by
default.  You can safely delete that line and then import it into Word
or OpenOffice.  Alternatively, you can tell org not to generate that
line in the first place:

(setq org-export-html-xml-declaration
  (quote (("php" . "<?php echo \"<?xml version=\\\"1.0\\\" encoding=\\\"%s\\\" ?>\"; ?>"))))

works for me.

Eric S Fraga
GnuPG: 8F5C 279D 3907 E14A 5C29  570D C891 93D8 FFFC F67D

* Re: any idea how to convert org file to MS WORD an retain text structure?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-07-06 23:48 ` Torsten Wagner
From: Torsten Wagner @ 2010-07-06 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Stengele; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Rainer,

> I tried HTML export and then imported the html in Word but
> I end up in an unusable xml style document which word wants an stylesheet for which I do not have.

This is what does for me the best job if I have to deal with MS Word -
LaTeX conversion. How to do it with org-mode was answered already.

Let me bring another way into discussion.
Sometimes people ask for MS-Word files because they simply do not know
it better and the use MS-Word as a kind of media-container format. They
ask for MS-Word format but they will not process the document in any
way. Simply print it as it is.

This is often the case e.g., for conference proceedings where people
asked me for a camera ready MS Word document. Already the phrase
"camera-ready MS Word document" contains mutual exclusive words, taking
into account what a mess could happen after opening up a MS Word file in
a different version (both release and language version) of MS Office.

What I did already several times and I never got any complain was the
conversion of the generated PDF (from LaTeX) in a single image per page
(preferable png, tiff or any other compression format with a non-loss in
quality)
I placed this "page-pictures" in a Word-file, exactly as it would be
printed (I cropped the boarders with the MS-Word graphic tools.

This could be very quickly and easily done for < 10 pages by hand.

In the printed version of the proceeding, the conference organizers
simply added a head- and footnote. I guess they simply opened up every
MS Word file marked all content and copy and paste all of them in a
MS-Word file with the preferable head- and footnote.

As I said, I never got any negative feedback. Maybe the never noticed it
at all or there thought it might be some bug, safety feature, different
version problem, etc.

Just a quick and dirty trick which saves much much time. ;)

Greetings

Torsten