* markup for small caps ?
@ 2010-10-31 14:37 Sébastien Mengin
From: Sébastien Mengin @ 2010-10-31 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I was wondering if a marker was available for smallcaps?

Thanks in advance,
--
Sébastien Mengin
Édition et logiciels libres

* Re: markup for small caps ?
@ 2010-10-31 16:11 ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2010-10-31 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Mengin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Aloha Sebastien,

Arbitrary markup is possible, see http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-latex-export.php#sec-12

Using this approach [[latex:textsc][My small caps]] would export to
LaTeX as \textsc{My small caps}.

HTH,
Tom

@ 2010-10-31 16:45   ` Sébastien Mengin
From: Sébastien Mengin @ 2010-10-31 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Le dim. 31/10/10 (06:11:20 -1000), Thomas S. Dye a écrit :
> Aloha Sebastien,
>
> Arbitrary markup is possible, see http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-latex-export.php#sec-12
>
> Using this approach [[latex:textsc][My small caps]] would export to
> LaTeX as \textsc{My small caps}.

Thanks a lot for your answer.
Here, pasting the code from the above link, I get:

\hyperref[latex:textsc]{My small caps}

I think I'd like to keep going with the customized markup I mentionned
in another question posted earlier today : ¶text¶, that would export
"text" in small-caps in both html and latex.

\bye
--

@ 2010-10-31 17:05     ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-10-31 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Mengin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Sébastien Mengin <sebastien-mengin@edilibre.net> writes:

> Le dim. 31/10/10 (06:11:20 -1000), Thomas S. Dye a écrit :
>> Aloha Sebastien,
>>
>> Arbitrary markup is possible, see http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-latex-export.php#sec-12
>>
>> Using this approach [[latex:textsc][My small caps]] would export to
>> LaTeX as \textsc{My small caps}.
>
> Thanks a lot for your answer.
> Here, pasting the code from the above link, I get:
>
> \hyperref[latex:textsc]{My small caps}
>
> I think I'd like to keep going with the customized markup I mentionned
> in another question posted earlier today : ¶text¶, that would export

I think these markup characters are inconvenient to enter (how do I
generate those?)  Wouldn't it be better to pick something easier to type
on a standard keyboard?  Maybe =v=text=v= or something else.  We already
have a =text= markup so maybe =v= isn't a good choice either.

-Bernt

> "text" in small-caps in both html and latex.
>
> \bye

* Re: markup for small caps ?
@ 2010-10-31 17:43   ` Dan Davison
From: Dan Davison @ 2010-10-31 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: Sébastien Mengin, emacs-orgmode

"Thomas S. Dye" <tsd@tsdye.com> writes:

> Aloha Sebastien,
>
> Arbitrary markup is possible, see http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-latex-export.php#sec-12
>
> Using this approach [[latex:textsc][My small caps]] would export to
> LaTeX as \textsc{My small caps}.

In the Org-buffer I see "My small caps" with a special underlined
face. This is standard for links with a non-missing display part, but in
the case of non-standard link types such as this I'm not sure it's
helpful. I think I'd like to see in my Org buffer what markup is being
applied.[1]

(Related question -- is there a command I can enter with point on a link
which displays the raw text of the link? (temporarily remove overlays at
point?))

Thanks,

Dan

Footnotes:
[1]  Maybe add an optional display argument to org-add-link-type
which would be a function used by the org-activate-*-link function??

@ 2010-10-31 19:08     ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2010-10-31 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Davison; +Cc: Sébastien Mengin, emacs-orgmode

On Oct 31, 2010, at 7:43 AM, Dan Davison wrote:

> "Thomas S. Dye" <tsd@tsdye.com> writes:
>
>> Aloha Sebastien,
>>
>> Arbitrary markup is possible, see http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-latex-export.php#sec-12
>>
>> Using this approach [[latex:textsc][My small caps]] would export to
>> LaTeX as \textsc{My small caps}.
>
> In the Org-buffer I see "My small caps" with a special underlined
> face. This is standard for links with a non-missing display part,
> but in
> the case of non-standard link types such as this I'm not sure it's
> helpful. I think I'd like to see in my Org buffer what markup is being
> applied.[1]
>
> (Related question -- is there a command I can enter with point on a
> link
> which displays the raw text of the link? (temporarily remove
> overlays at
> point?))
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dan
>

> Footnotes:
> [1]  Maybe add an optional display argument to org-add-link-type
> which would be a function used by the org-activate-*-link function??

Hi Dan,

I agree that it would be good to generalize the Org-mode link syntax
so that it doesn't assume a link representation in the Org-mode buffer
and in HTML export.  If a link representation was one possibility
among others, then this syntax would be that much more useful.

As for showing small caps, say, in the Org-mode buffer, I agree that
this would be nice in this instance.  Note, however, that this is an
instance of direct style markup and not semantic markup.

In the more general case, the syntax applies semantic markup that is
recognized by a LaTeX class file, a CSS stylesheet, etc., which is
responsible for seeing that the marked up content looks right.  IIUC,
your suggestion of an optional display argument would be the Org-mode
equivalent of the class file/stylesheet.  It would be really great if
this argument accepted a function that relied on an Org-mode
stylesheet that the user could customize to support arbitrary semantic
elements.  Perhaps this is already possible, but I haven't figured it
out yet.

I don't know the answer to your related question.  I just use literal
links for a while when I need them, then set them back to descriptive
links when I'm done.  I agree that being able to do this on a link by
link basis would be useful.

All the best,
Tom

@ 2010-10-31 19:53       ` Dan Davison
From: Dan Davison @ 2010-10-31 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: Sébastien Mengin, emacs-orgmode

"Thomas S. Dye" <tsd@tsdye.com> writes:

> On Oct 31, 2010, at 7:43 AM, Dan Davison wrote:
>
>> "Thomas S. Dye" <tsd@tsdye.com> writes:
>>
>>> Aloha Sebastien,
>>>
>>> Arbitrary markup is possible, see http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-latex-export.php#sec-12
>>>
>>> Using this approach [[latex:textsc][My small caps]] would export to
>>> LaTeX as \textsc{My small caps}.
>>
>> In the Org-buffer I see "My small caps" with a special underlined
>> face. This is standard for links with a non-missing display part,
>> but in
>> the case of non-standard link types such as this I'm not sure it's
>> helpful. I think I'd like to see in my Org buffer what markup is being
>> applied.[1]
>>
>> (Related question -- is there a command I can enter with point on a
>> link
>> which displays the raw text of the link? (temporarily remove
>> overlays at
>> point?))
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Dan
>>

>> Footnotes:
>> [1]  Maybe add an optional display argument to org-add-link-type
>> which would be a function used by the org-activate-*-link function??
>>

> Hi Dan,
>
> I agree that it would be good to generalize the Org-mode link syntax
> so that it doesn't assume a link representation in the Org-mode buffer
> and in HTML export.  If a link representation was one possibility
> among others, then this syntax would be that much more useful.
>
> As for showing small caps, say, in the Org-mode buffer, I agree that
> this would be nice in this instance.

Hi Tom,

Sorry, I didn't express myself clearly. I didn't mean that I'd like to
see small caps in the org buffer. What I meant is that I'd prefer to see
something like [[latex:textsc][My small caps]], as opposed to it all
magically being covered up with an overlay displaying "My small
caps". With the overlay, I've no idea that it is a special markup, and
not some form of link.

Dan

* Re: markup for small caps ?
@ 2010-10-31 20:13         ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2010-10-31 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Davison; +Cc: Sébastien Mengin, emacs-orgmode

On Oct 31, 2010, at 9:53 AM, Dan Davison wrote:

> "Thomas S. Dye" <tsd@tsdye.com> writes:

>>> In the Org-buffer I see "My small caps" with a special underlined
>>> face. This is standard for links with a non-missing display part,
>>> but in
>>> the case of non-standard link types such as this I'm not sure it's
>>> helpful. I think I'd like to see in my Org buffer what markup is
>>> being
>>> applied.[1]
>>>
>>> (Related question -- is there a command I can enter with point on a
>>> link
>>> which displays the raw text of the link? (temporarily remove
>>> overlays at
>>> point?))
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Dan
>>>

>>> Footnotes:
>>> [1]  Maybe add an optional display argument to org-add-link-type
>>> which would be a function used by the org-activate-*-link function??
>>>

>> Hi Dan,
>>
>> I agree that it would be good to generalize the Org-mode link syntax
>> so that it doesn't assume a link representation in the Org-mode
>> buffer
>> and in HTML export.  If a link representation was one possibility
>> among others, then this syntax would be that much more useful.
>>
>> As for showing small caps, say, in the Org-mode buffer, I agree that
>> this would be nice in this instance.
>
> Hi Tom,
>
> Sorry, I didn't express myself clearly. I didn't mean that I'd like to
> see small caps in the org buffer. What I meant is that I'd prefer to
> see
> something like [[latex:textsc][My small caps]], as opposed to it all
> magically being covered up with an overlay displaying "My small
> caps". With the overlay, I've no idea that it is a special markup, and
> not some form of link.
>
> Dan

Hi Dan,

I'm with you on this.  IMO, it would be good to generalize the Org-
mode link syntax so that it doesn't assume a link representation in
the Org-mode buffer and in HTML export.  With the Org-mode stylesheet,
the OP could have small caps if wanted and you could have
[[latex:textsc][My small caps]].

All the best,
Tom

* Re: Re: markup for small caps ?
@ 2010-11-01 12:22       ` Sébastien Mengin
From: Sébastien Mengin @ 2010-11-01 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Le dim. 31/10/10 (01:05:02 -0400), Bernt Hansen a écrit :
> Sébastien Mengin <sebastien-mengin@edilibre.net> writes:
> > I think I'd like to keep going with the customized markup I mentionned
> > in another question posted earlier today : ¶text¶, that would export
>
> I think these markup characters are inconvenient to enter (how do I
> generate those?)  Wouldn't it be better to pick something easier to type
> on a standard keyboard?  Maybe =v=text=v= or something else.  We already
> have a =text= markup so maybe =v= isn't a good choice either.

I don't know either. I chose ¶ here because I wanted to avoid the risk
of using an already existing symbol, but it could be anything, in fact.