* blorg??
@ 2009-03-21 10:44 Rustom Mody
From: Rustom Mody @ 2009-03-21 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I have a team of some 4-5 programmers.

They've started sending me their reports in org format.
I was considering the next step of making them blog rather than use mail for
their reports and was wondering if blorg.el is the way to go. (Gather that
blorg is not really stable)

Any other suggestions (org-oddmuse.el??)

* Re: blorg??
@ 2009-03-22 13:44 ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-03-22 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rustom Mody; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Rustom,

Rustom Mody <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> I have a team of some 4-5 programmers.
>
> They've started sending me their reports in org format.
> I was considering the next step of making them blog rather than use
> mail for their reports and was wondering if blorg.el is the way to go.
> (Gather that blorg is not really stable)

Any current blorg users care to comment?

> Any other suggestions (org-oddmuse.el??)

I just discovered that there is ruby blog engine in development that
uses org files as a back end:

- http://github.com/eschulte/blorgit/tree/master

(Looks really promising, Eric!)

Best,
Matt

* Re: blorg??
@ 2009-03-22 14:10   ` Alex Ott
From: Alex Ott @ 2009-03-22 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello all

 ML> Hi Rustom, Rustom Mody <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:
 >> I have a team of some 4-5 programmers.
 >>
 >> They've started sending me their reports in org format.  I was
 >> considering the next step of making them blog rather than use mail for
 >> their reports and was wondering if blorg.el is the way to go.  (Gather
 >> that blorg is not really stable)

 ML> Any current blorg users care to comment?

I slightly hacked blorg to allow to use relative links, proper symbols
escaping in links, etc. (and i dropped copying of data into directories
inside publish).  My version is available from
http://xtalk.msk.su/~ott/common/emacs/blorg.el

--
With best wishes, Alex Ott, MBA
http://alexott.blogspot.com/        http://xtalk.msk.su/~ott/

* Re: blorg??
@ 2009-03-22 14:21 ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2009-03-22 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rustom Mody; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Rustom Mody wrote:

>They've started sending me their reports in org format.  I was
>considering the next step of making them blog rather than use mail
>for their reports and was wondering if blorg.el is the way to
>go. (Gather that blorg is not really stable) Any other suggestions
>(org-oddmuse.el??)

As I think mentioned once before on the list, you can use the Org
backend by Manoj Srivastava with ikiwiki. Ikiwiki can use git as a
backend, so that might give you a nice way for people to file reports.
It works fine for me (I mostly use it to insert tables into markdown
documents).

* [ANN] blorgit: org-mode blogging engine
@ 2009-03-22 18:00   ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2009-03-22 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Lundin; +Cc: Rustom Mody, emacs-orgmode

Matthew Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> writes:

> I just discovered that there is ruby blog engine in development that
> uses org files as a back end:
>
> - http://github.com/eschulte/blorgit/tree/master
>
> (Looks really promising, Eric!)

Thanks Matt,

I've been using this myself for a couple of weeks now for sharing my
notes at work, and to convince my girlfriend (a sworn enemy of Emacs) to
help maintain a large org-mode formatted recipe catalog, by editing
pages through the blorgit web interface.  I think this should now be
ready for public consumption.

Blorgit is a simple blogging engine.  Features include...

- comments :: Comments can be left through the web interface, and they
              will be appended to the org-mode file under a "Comments"
              header.  They can be turned on or off globally, or through
              the properties of the "Comments" header

- editing :: optional editing through the web interface can be turned on
             or off, and can be password protected

- themes :: there are a couple of default themes distributed with
            blorgit (try the 'org' theme using Tim Burt's folded
            unicorn)

- runs directly from .org files :: this is designed to run off of a
     directory of org-mode formatted files, all exportation is handled
     by blorgit, so you should be able to point this to an existing
     directory of org-mode files, fire up the browser and get going.
     This also means that it is easy to add content or make
     configuration changes through git or any VC system.

- exportation :: all pages can be downloaded in org-mode or LaTeX
                 formats

The goal was to be relatively simple/hackable.  The look and feel should
be largely malleable through css, and if you want to dig deeper, all of
the views and logic are located inside the blorgit.rb file.

See http://github.com/eschulte/blorgit/tree/master for instillation and
configuration instructions.  If anyone has any feedback, or wants to add
new default themes I'm all ears.

Thanks -- Eric

Also, for a slightly more ambitious (if less mature) effort see orGit.
It an org-mode formatted wiki, backed by a git repository (edits are
automatically committed to git, some git actions (reversion of pages,
etc...) can be handled through the web interface, and the git history
can be browsed through the wiki) see http://github.com/eschulte/orGit/tree/master