* latex export - skipping lvls breaks export
@ 2010-06-21 17:52 Sebastian Hofer
From: Sebastian Hofer @ 2010-06-21 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I'm working on a customized latex-export-class for a CV.
I noticed that if you skip a level in the outline structure (cf. example below) it is not exported to latex. Is there a reason for this or could this be changed easily? If so I would appreciate it a lot!

Example:

* Section
** Subsection
*** Subsubsection

* Section
*** Subsubsection

* Section

exports to

\section{Section}
\subsection{Subsection}
\subsubsection{Subsubsection}

\section{Section}

\section{Section}

TIA
Sebastian

* Re: latex export - skipping lvls breaks export
@ 2010-06-22  9:51 ` Giovanni Ridolfi
From: Giovanni Ridolfi @ 2010-06-22  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Hofer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Sebastian Hofer <sebhofer@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm working on a customized latex-export-class for a CV.
nice!
> I noticed that if you skip a level in the outline structure
> (cf. example below) it is not exported to latex.
> Is there a reason for this
IIRC it depends in how is written the LaTeX export.
(I thought I've read recently this answer by Carsten, but, unfortunately,
I can't find the citation in the list archive)

> or could this be changed easily?
IMHO skipping a level it's  <Spock voice> a bit illogical
;-)

cheers,
Giovanni

* Re: latex export - skipping lvls breaks export
@ 2010-06-22 11:10   ` Sebastian Hofer
From: Sebastian Hofer @ 2010-06-22 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Sebastian Hofer, emacs-orgmode

At Tue, 22 Jun 2010 11:51:30 +0200,
Giovanni Ridolfi wrote:

> Sebastian Hofer <sebhofer@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I'm working on a customized latex-export-class for a CV.
> nice!
> > I noticed that if you skip a level in the outline structure
> > (cf. example below) it is not exported to latex.
> > Is there a reason for this
> IIRC it depends in how is written the LaTeX export.
> (I thought I've read recently this answer by Carsten, but, unfortunately,
> I can't find the citation in the list archive)
>
> > or could this be changed easily?
> IMHO skipping a level it's  <Spock voice> a bit illogical
> ;-)
I guess it depends on the situation, it may or may not be illogical.
Anyway, I don't see a reason why the user should not be allowed to decide himself or herself to skip a level.

Cheers,
Sebastian

* Re: Re: latex export - skipping lvls breaks export
@ 2010-06-22 12:51     ` Robert Hennig
From: Robert Hennig @ 2010-06-22 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sebastian Hofer wrote:
> At Tue, 22 Jun 2010 11:51:30 +0200,
> Giovanni Ridolfi wrote:
>> Sebastian Hofer <sebhofer@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> I'm working on a customized latex-export-class for a CV.
>> nice!
>>> I noticed that if you skip a level in the outline structure
>>> (cf. example below) it is not exported to latex.
>>> Is there a reason for this
>> IIRC it depends in how is written the LaTeX export.
>> (I thought I've read recently this answer by Carsten, but, unfortunately,
>> I can't find the citation in the list archive)
>>
>>> or could this be changed easily?
>> IMHO skipping a level it's  <Spock voice> a bit illogical
>> ;-)
> I guess it depends on the situation, it may or may not be illogical.
> Anyway, I don't see a reason why the user should not be allowed to decide himself or herself to skip a level.
>
> Cheers,
> Sebastian

I'm working on the translation of a book and the Table of Contents has a
odd structure. I would also appreciate if skipping a level in the
structure could be possible. One reason to have this working is
if you want to have a itemized outline at several levels.

Best regards,
Robert Hennig

* Re: Re: latex export - skipping lvls breaks export
@ 2010-06-22 13:06       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-06-22 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Hennig; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jun 22, 2010, at 2:51 PM, Robert Hennig wrote:

> Sebastian Hofer wrote:
>> At Tue, 22 Jun 2010 11:51:30 +0200,
>> Giovanni Ridolfi wrote:

>>> nice!
>>> IIRC it depends in how is written the LaTeX export.
>>> (I thought I've read recently this answer by Carsten, but,
>>> unfortunately,
>>> I can't find the citation in the list archive)

>>> IMHO skipping a level it's  <Spock voice> a bit illogical
>>> ;-)
>> I guess it depends on the situation, it may or may not be illogical.
>> Anyway, I don't see a reason why the user should not be allowed to
>> decide himself or herself to skip a level.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Sebastian
>>

> I'm working on the translation of a book and the Table of Contents
> has a
> odd structure. I would also appreciate if skipping a level in the
> structure could be possible. One reason to have this working is
> if you want to have a itemized outline at several levels.

I have nothing against skipping levels - the HTML exporter
allows it.  But, the LaTeX exporter does not.  If someone can
come up with a good patch, I'd consider putting it in.  The
patch may not be trivial though...

- Carsten

* Re: latex export - skipping lvls breaks export
@ 2010-06-22 14:40         ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2010-06-22 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi all,

Carsten Dominik wrote:
> On Jun 22, 2010, at 2:51 PM, Robert Hennig wrote:
>> Sebastian Hofer wrote:

>>> I guess it depends on the situation, it may or may not be illogical.
>>
>> I'm working on the translation of a book and the Table of Contents has a
>> odd structure. I would also appreciate if skipping a level in the structure
>> could be possible.
>
> I have nothing against skipping levels - the HTML exporter allows it. But,
> the LaTeX exporter does not. If someone can come up with a good patch, I'd
> consider putting it in. The patch may not be trivial though...

Just for the sake of completeness, here is another (very) good reason to allow
such a thing: for Beamer, with the sidebar outer theme, which allows you to
see, on every slide, where you are in the TOC (up to 2 levels).

If you have such a TOC:

1. Intro
2. The meat
   1. Why?
   2. Why not?
3. Conclusion

and have frames level beginning at 3, you would have in Org:

* Intro

*** Introduction

    This is first slide.

* The meat

** Why?

*** Why to do this?

    Second slide.

** Why not?

*** Why not to do this?

    Third slide.

* Conclusion

*** Conclusion

    Last slide.

So, the solutions are:

1. To allow for skipped levels
   -> Sidebar is exactly as it should.

2. Not to export skipped levels
   -> You need to insert a level-2 for the Introduction and Conclusion

   a. Empty title (such as `** ')
      -> Empty space in the TOC displayed in the sidebar
      -> Bad!

   b. Repeat the title of level-1
      -> Not nice...

So, allowing for skipped levels seems the only nice way for me. Did you follow
me?

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban

* Re: Re: latex export - skipping lvls breaks export
@ 2010-06-22 14:41     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2010-06-22 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Hofer; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Sebastian Hofer <sebhofer@gmail.com> wrote:

> At Tue, 22 Jun 2010 11:51:30 +0200,
> Giovanni Ridolfi wrote:
> >
> > Sebastian Hofer <sebhofer@gmail.com> writes:
> >
> > > I'm working on a customized latex-export-class for a CV.
> > nice!
> > > I noticed that if you skip a level in the outline structure
> > > (cf. example below) it is not exported to latex.
> > > Is there a reason for this
> > IIRC it depends in how is written the LaTeX export.
> > (I thought I've read recently this answer by Carsten, but, unfortunately,
> > I can't find the citation in the list archive)
> >
> > > or could this be changed easily?
> > IMHO skipping a level it's  <Spock voice> a bit illogical
> > ;-)
> I guess it depends on the situation, it may or may not be illogical.
> Anyway, I don't see a reason why the user should not be allowed to decide himself or herself to skip a level.

If the outline tree were a real tree, skipping a level would be
equivalent to chopping out a node somewhere in the middle. Would you
expect the tree to stay intact?

Tongue-firmly-in-cheek-ly yours,
Nick

* Re: latex export - skipping lvls breaks export
@ 2010-06-22 14:43         ` Sebastian Hofer
From: Sebastian Hofer @ 2010-06-22 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-orgmode

At Tue, 22 Jun 2010 15:06:08 +0200,
Carsten Dominik wrote:

> On Jun 22, 2010, at 2:51 PM, Robert Hennig wrote:
>
> > Sebastian Hofer wrote:

> >> I guess it depends on the situation, it may or may not be illogical.
> >> Anyway, I don't see a reason why the user should not be allowed to
> >> decide himself or herself to skip a level.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Sebastian
> >>

> > I'm working on the translation of a book and the Table of Contents
> > has a
> > odd structure. I would also appreciate if skipping a level in the
> > structure could be possible. One reason to have this working is
> > if you want to have a itemized outline at several levels.
>

> I have nothing against skipping levels - the HTML exporter
> allows it.  But, the LaTeX exporter does not.  If someone can
> come up with a good patch, I'd consider putting it in.  The
> patch may not be trivial though...

I will try to come up with one, but I'm not sure I can do it as my lisp skills are still quite basic. So if anyone else wants to take a
shot at this, I'm thankful for any help!
Thanks for the clarification though!

Cheers,
Sebastian