* Bug? org.el:org-open-at-point
@ 2010-09-05 17:28 Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2010-09-05 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

It seems like news: links are always sent to the browser and this
definition is hiding a later invocation of GNUS:

---------------
	 ((member type '("http" "https" "ftp" "news"))
	  (browse-url (concat type ":" (org-link-escape
					path org-link-escape-chars-browser))))
         ;;;
         ;;; some more lines
         ;;;
	 ((string= type "news")
	  (require 'org-gnus)
	  (org-gnus-follow-link path))
---------------

Additionally, if I take out "news" from the first bit of code and follow
a news: link, the code that supposedly opens news links in GNUS doesn't
seem to work on my system (gmane is a foreign server in GNUS here, but
that doesn't seem to be the reason).

Achim.

* Re: Bug? org.el:org-open-at-point
@ 2010-09-05 17:57 ` David Maus
From: David Maus @ 2010-09-05 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Achim Gratz wrote:

>It seems like news: links are always sent to the browser and this
>definition is hiding a later invocation of GNUS:

Indeed, this is an inconsistency.  The right way would be for org-gnus
(and other mail readers, like org-wl) to register the link type.

>---------------
>	 ((member type '("http" "https" "ftp" "news"))
>	  (browse-url (concat type ":" (org-link-escape
>					path org-link-escape-chars-browser))))
>         ;;;
>         ;;; some more lines
>         ;;;
>	 ((string= type "news")
>	  (require 'org-gnus)
>	  (org-gnus-follow-link path))
>---------------

>Additionally, if I take out "news" from the first bit of code and follow
>a news: link, the code that supposedly opens news links in GNUS doesn't
>seem to work on my system (gmane is a foreign server in GNUS here, but
>that doesn't seem to be the reason).

What syntax did you try?  IIRC `org-gnus-follow-link' expects a /Gnus/
link in path, but RFC5538 ("The 'news' and 'nntp' URI Schemes ")[1] has a
different definition that must be normalized to a org-gnus.link.

I'll see to provide a patch to org-gnus.el to handle news: and nntp:
links according to the specs.

Best,
  -- David

[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5538
--
OpenPGP... 0x99ADB83B5A4478E6
Jabber.... dmjena@jabber.org

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 230 bytes --]

* Re: Bug? org.el:org-open-at-point
@ 2010-09-05 18:48   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2010-09-05 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

David Maus <dmaus@ictsoc.de> writes:

> What syntax did you try?  IIRC `org-gnus-follow-link' expects a /Gnus/
> link in path, but RFC5538 ("The 'news' and 'nntp' URI Schemes ")[1] has a
> different definition that must be normalized to a org-gnus.link.

I tried news:gmane.emacs.orgmode (incomplete, I know), but any other
link with authority would produce the same result: GNUS tries to enter a
group with the literal path as specified in the link and gets stuck.

---------------
       9:*nntp+news.gmane.org:gmane.emacs.orgmode
 K     *: //news.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode
---------------

The correct path syntax suggested by GNUS to give to
gnus-group-jump-to-group is nntp+news.gmane.org:gmane.emacs.orgmode, but
that still doesn't open the Summary buffer and gives no further error
message.  Browsing around in org-gnus.el suggests that news: links
should probably not go through that function in org-gnus.el since it
registers it's own gnus: handler just for that.

Achim.

* Re: Re: Bug? org.el:org-open-at-point
@ 2010-09-20 20:08     ` David Maus
From: David Maus @ 2010-09-20 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Achim Gratz wrote:
>David Maus <dmaus@ictsoc.de> writes:

>> What syntax did you try?  IIRC `org-gnus-follow-link' expects a /Gnus/
>> link in path, but RFC5538 ("The 'news' and 'nntp' URI Schemes ")[1] has a
>> different definition that must be normalized to a org-gnus.link.

>I tried news:gmane.emacs.orgmode (incomplete, I know), but any other
>link with authority would produce the same result: GNUS tries to enter a
>group with the literal path as specified in the link and gets stuck.

>---------------
>       9:*nntp+news.gmane.org:gmane.emacs.orgmode
> K     *: //news.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode
>---------------

>The correct path syntax suggested by GNUS to give to
>gnus-group-jump-to-group is nntp+news.gmane.org:gmane.emacs.orgmode, but
>that still doesn't open the Summary buffer and gives no further error
>message.  Browsing around in org-gnus.el suggests that news: links
>should probably not go through that function in org-gnus.el since it
>registers it's own gnus: handler just for that.

1/

Okay, I've pushed a change to master that adds two functions
`org-wl-open-nntp' and `org-gnus-open-nntp' to open nntp: links with
WL or Gnus, respectively.

You have to register one of the functions as link handler, e.g.

,----
| (org-add-link-type "nntp" 'org-gnus-open-nntp)
`----

nntp: links have the form:

nntp://server/group[/article]

Where SERVER is the nntp server, GROUP is the group, and ARTICLE is
the article number.

Limitations: Dunno how to supply login information in Gnus.  Thus,
opening a link like

nntp://user@server/group

will drop the "user" part and fall back to nntp://server/group.

2/

Support for news: links is a little bit tricky: They have the format

Where GROUP can contain wild-cards (meaning: List all groups that
match) and MESSAGE-ID appears without a group (meaning: search for the
message with this id on the server).  And SERVER is optional.

3/

The next step would be to supersede the customization variable
`org-gnus-prefer-weblinks' by `org-gnus-prefered-usenet-link-type'
which can be one of:

'http -- create web link to gmane or google
'nntp -- create nntp: link

Best,
  -- David
--

@ 2010-09-21  6:44       ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2010-09-21  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

David Maus <dmaus@ictsoc.de> writes:

> Okay, I've pushed a change to master that adds two functions
> `org-wl-open-nntp' and `org-gnus-open-nntp' to open nntp: links with
> WL or Gnus, respectively.

Thanks, that looks good.  Gnus still doesn't do anything and silently
ignores the link, but I'm almost certain that this is due to GNUS and
how it's currently configured on my end rather than Org...  Amusingly,
when not registering the link handler, Org creates a new headline at the
end of the buffer with the link content.

Regards,

@ 2010-09-22  7:28         ` David Maus
From: David Maus @ 2010-09-22  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Achim Gratz wrote:
>David Maus <dmaus@ictsoc.de> writes:

>> Okay, I've pushed a change to master that adds two functions
>> `org-wl-open-nntp' and `org-gnus-open-nntp' to open nntp: links with
>> WL or Gnus, respectively.

>Thanks, that looks good.  Gnus still doesn't do anything and silently
>ignores the link, but I'm almost certain that this is due to GNUS and
>how it's currently configured on my end rather than Org...  Amusingly,
>when not registering the link handler, Org creates a new headline at the
>end of the buffer with the link content.

Did you register the link type?

This works for me:

(org-add-link-type "nntp" 'org-gnus-open-nntp)

And these links open fine:

,----[ *x* ]

| * X
|
| [[nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.imap.general][Usenet 1]]
|
| [[nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.imap.general/2005][Usenet 2]]
`----

Best,
  -- David
--

@ 2010-09-22 16:44           ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2010-09-22 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

David Maus <dmaus@ictsoc.de> writes:
> Did you register the link type?

Yes.

> [[nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.imap.general][Usenet 1]]

This one doesn't (just like my example links).  If I add a trailing "/"
to the link it starts working as expected.  The link without the
trailing slash does start GNUS if not already running, but does not
enter the group buffer.

> [[nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.imap.general/2005][Usenet 2]]

This one works without the trailing "/" and continues to work with an
added trailing "/".  I'm currently a bit short on time to investigate
this any further at the moment (version of EMACS 23.1 or GNUS 5.13
here), but maybe a trailing slash should be added to the server part if
not already there (or even generally, if the second link also works on
your side).  But it's certainly not a high priority item - for me,
anyway.

Achim.

Wavetables for the Waldorf Blofeld:

* Re: Re: Bug? org.el:org-open-at-point