* Unable to resolve link: nil
@ 2016-07-22 15:19 Vikas Rawal
From: Vikas Rawal @ 2016-07-22 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Working on long, complex documents, I sometimes have a wrongly pointed link. And when I try to export it, I get the error: "Unable to resolve link: nil”. Is there a straightforward way to find out which link is not resolving?

Vikas

* Re: Unable to resolve link: nil
@ 2016-07-22 18:03 ` Michael Welle
From: Michael Welle @ 2016-07-22 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Vikas Rawal <vikaslists@agrarianresearch.org> writes:

> Working on long, complex documents, I sometimes have a wrongly pointed
> link. And when I try to export it, I get the error: "Unable to resolve
> link: nil”. Is there a straightforward way to find out which link is
> not resolving?
good question ;). I spent half an hour this week in a similar situation ;).
I used bisecting to find the problem. In my case it was a space before
the protocol: [[ http://foo.bar][foo]].

Regards
hmw

* Re: Unable to resolve link: nil
@ 2016-07-22 19:18   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2016-07-22 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Michael Welle <mwe012008@gmx.net> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Vikas Rawal <vikaslists@agrarianresearch.org> writes:
>
>> Working on long, complex documents, I sometimes have a wrongly pointed
>> link. And when I try to export it, I get the error: "Unable to resolve
>> link: nil”. Is there a straightforward way to find out which link is
>> not resolving?
> good question ;). I spent half an hour this week in a similar situation ;).
> I used bisecting to find the problem. In my case it was a space before
> the protocol: [[ http://foo.bar][foo]].

(untested)

Does org-lint help?

--
Nick

* Re: Unable to resolve link: nil
@ 2016-07-22 19:34     ` Michael Welle
From: Michael Welle @ 2016-07-22 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:

> Michael Welle <mwe012008@gmx.net> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Vikas Rawal <vikaslists@agrarianresearch.org> writes:
>>
>>> Working on long, complex documents, I sometimes have a wrongly pointed
>>> link. And when I try to export it, I get the error: "Unable to resolve
>>> link: nil”. Is there a straightforward way to find out which link is
>>> not resolving?
>> good question ;). I spent half an hour this week in a similar situation ;).
>> I used bisecting to find the problem. In my case it was a space before
>> the protocol: [[ http://foo.bar][foo]].
>>

> (untested)
>
> Does org-lint help?
ah, learned something new here ;). Yes, it catches the space.

Regards
hmw

* Re: Unable to resolve link: nil
@ 2016-07-23  0:42     ` Vikas Rawal
From: Vikas Rawal @ 2016-07-23  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

> (untested)
>
> Does org-lint help?

Oh wow!

Thanks.

@ 2016-07-23  1:13       ` Vikas Rawal
From: Vikas Rawal @ 2016-07-23  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> (untested)
>>
>> Does org-lint help?
>
> Oh wow!

org-lint helped identify several errors but this problem remains.

@ 2016-07-23  1:22   ` Vikas Rawal
From: Vikas Rawal @ 2016-07-23  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Working on long, complex documents, I sometimes have a wrongly pointed
>> link. And when I try to export it, I get the error: "Unable to resolve
>> link: nil”. Is there a straightforward way to find out which link is
>> not resolving?
> good question ;). I spent half an hour this week in a similar situation ;).
> I used bisecting to find the problem. In my case it was a space before
> the protocol: [[ http://foo.bar][foo]].

I am unable to export individual headlines because of many cross-references. An individual headline refuses to export because of them. So, exporting parts of the document to narrow down to the part where the problem is does not work for me.

@ 2016-07-23  4:50         ` Michael Welle
From: Michael Welle @ 2016-07-23  4:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Vikas Rawal <vikaslists@agrarianresearch.org> writes:

>>> (untested)
>>>
>>> Does org-lint help?
>>
>> Oh wow!
>>

> org-lint helped identify several errors but this problem remains.
hm, maybe grep for [[ or [ and peer at the result. Other than that I have no
idea.

Regards
hmw

* Re: Unable to resolve link: nil
@ 2016-07-23  8:49     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-07-23  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vikas Rawal <vikaslists@agrarianresearch.org> writes:

> I am unable to export individual headlines because of many
> cross-references. An individual headline refuses to export because of
> them. So, exporting parts of the document to narrow down to the part
> where the problem is does not work for me.

See `org-export-with-broken-links'.

Nicolas Goaziou