* Call for an Emacs Library Developer
@ 2016-10-24  5:39 Jeff Rush
From: Jeff Rush @ 2016-10-24  5:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm a huge fan of Org-Mode and have tried on and off to use it to sync
tasks with Toodledo.com.  There is an Emacs library org-toodledo for
this but it has fallen into disrepair and the author of the latest fork,
@myuhe (Yuhei Maeda) can't be found.

I need it fixed in specific ways and I'm willing to pay for that work.
(the result of this work will be/remains shared w/the community)

1. migrate from Toodledo.com API 2.0 to API 3.0 (OAuth2)
2. set it up to run on Travis-CI with unit tests, so it stays working
3. extend it to use the org-agenda-list for files to sync with instead
    of just the one it does today
4. base it off the github myuhe branch as it seems to be the latest
5. add code to handle data exchange errors (bad chars in content)
    and add unit tests to test those error handlers; today it hangs
    on bad data.
6. get the result onto MELPA in a standard, proper package, along
    with all dependencies so anyone can install it easily

This module seems to be the best way forward for making the many
tasks I maintain in org-mode available bi-directionally on my Android
phone, using the Ultimate ToDo app (layers over Toodledo.com) and
the Orgzly app (syncs docs and tasks using Dropbox).

-Jeff

* Call for an Emacs Library Developer
@ 2016-10-25  3:58 Jeff Rush
From: Jeff Rush @ 2016-10-25  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

[...]

the Orgzly app (syncs docs and tasks (via search expr) using Dropbox).

-Jeff

* Re: Call for an Emacs Library Developer
@ 2016-10-25 13:48 ` Greg Troxel
From: Greg Troxel @ 2016-10-25 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Rush; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Jeff Rush <xanalogica@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm a huge fan of Org-Mode and have tried on and off to use it to sync
> tasks with Toodledo.com.  There is an Emacs library org-toodledo for
> this but it has fallen into disrepair and the author of the latest fork,
> @myuhe (Yuhei Maeda) can't be found.
>
> This module seems to be the best way forward for making the many
> tasks I maintain in org-mode available bi-directionally on my Android
> phone, using the Ultimate ToDo app (layers over Toodledo.com) and
> the Orgzly app (syncs docs and tasks (via search expr) using Dropbox).

There is also the android mobileorg app, which is actually Free Software
and doesn't require using non-Free network services and sharing your
data with third parties.  It seems to be in need of maintenance too:

  https://github.com/matburt/mobileorg-android

And there is a fork/rewrite which I didn't know about, but looks interesting:

  https://github.com/wizmer/syncorg

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Call for an Emacs Library Developer
@ 2016-10-27  1:28   ` Jeff Rush
From: Jeff Rush @ 2016-10-27  1:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Troxel; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thanks Greg for those links.  I was aware of Mobileorg-Android but didn't
know development had started back up.  The Orgzly app looked more
mature at this point but, of course, doesn't do everything that .org can
do in managing documents.  But it's use of a simple query language to
produce agenda of tasks is interesting and, using Dropbox it is easy to
connect my desktop .org files with those on my phone and tablet,
although I sometimes forget to click the SYNC button.  I wish it was
automatic, like a Google Doc.

On 10/25/2016 08:48 AM, Greg Troxel wrote:
> > Jeff Rush <xanalogica@gmail.com> writes: > >> I'm a huge fan of
Org-Mode and have tried on and off to use it to sync >> tasks with
Toodledo.com.  There is an Emacs library org-toodledo for >> this but it
has fallen into disrepair and the author of the latest fork, >> @myuhe
(Yuhei Maeda) can't be found. >> >> This module seems to be the best way
forward for making the many >> tasks I maintain in org-mode available
bi-directionally on my Android >> phone, using the Ultimate ToDo app
(layers over Toodledo.com) and >> the Orgzly app (syncs docs and tasks
(via search expr) using Dropbox). > > There is also the android

@ 2016-10-27  5:14   ` Stefan Huchler
From: Stefan Huchler @ 2016-10-27  5:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com> writes:

>   https://github.com/matburt/mobileorg-android
>
> And there is a fork/rewrite which I didn't know about, but looks interesting:
>
>   https://github.com/wizmer/syncorg

Would be neat if there would be a f-droid build, else you have to access
somehow complicated to the apk.

btw are the android build tools and libs all opensource?

I have problems to see android as a viable future for me, java is a
horrible development plattform when I just look how much stuff you have
to install to develop for android, and use their tools then the many
useless strange lines of code you have to use.

I am not very excited about ubuntu touch too, but there we have at least
qt and c++ and maybe even python bindings.

I know thats slightly off topic, but it relates a bit to the situation
why there are so few free software is availible for android.

We have at the moment around 2000 Apps in F-droid and 780 ("opensource")
real apps for ubuntu touch and around 180 scopes and another 340 App
snaps including a native emacs "app".

When you understand that the first phone with ubuntu touch was sold
9/2014 and only one device was sold in lower numbers, while the Nexus
One hit 1/2010 the market that numbers of u-touch apps is very impressive.

Also focus more on ubuntu touch (and I am open to other suggestions)
would not lower the development (time) costs, but also the reusability
of code, some c++ / python code can be used in opensource desktop
programs. You basicly only have to replace the gui at worst if the ubuntu
libs dont do that automaticly for you, while Android apps are nearly
worthless outside android.

Its a big Vendor-Lockin despite beeing opensource the investment in the
javaplattform and the google environment are huge.

Hope thats not to off-topic. Most apps do very little things still they
are extremly hard to develop, cause nearly no opensource developer uses
java.

java is ok for some enterprise things or serverside, but its just not
good for user-application/apps development.

I am not shure if that relates to your topic, but people should maybe
consider for which plattform to develop makes most sense.

* Re: Call for an Emacs Library Developer
@ 2016-10-29 19:58     ` Greg Troxel
From: Greg Troxel @ 2016-10-29 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Huchler; +Cc: emacs-orgmode