* Obsolete org contrib package
@ 2016-11-08  0:20 Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2016-11-08  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

I just ran into org-ebib.el, a file that's part of org-contrib. I
noticed that it uses functions from Ebib that were renamed pretty
much exactly two years ago. (They're internal functions and thus
got an extra dash.) This could in principle be fixed by changing
the relevant function calls in org-ebib.el, but as it happens I'm
about to push some changes to Ebib that will make it less
straightorward to fix org-ebib.el.

So perhaps it would be best to simply remove org-ebib.el from
org-contrib? It doesn't seem to have been used by anyone the past
two years and all it does is define a function to store an org
link to an Ebib entry, which, IIUC, is done in a completely
different way in Org 9.0.

Joost

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments

* Re: Obsolete org contrib package
@ 2016-11-08 12:23 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-11-08 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joost Kremers; +Cc: Grégoire Jadi, emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Joost Kremers <joostkremers@fastmail.fm> writes:

> I just ran into org-ebib.el, a file that's part of org-contrib.
> I noticed that it uses functions from Ebib that were renamed pretty
> much exactly two years ago. (They're internal functions and thus got
> an extra dash.) This could in principle be fixed by changing the
> relevant function calls in org-ebib.el, but as it happens I'm about to
> push some changes to Ebib that will make it less straightorward to fix
> org-ebib.el.

OK.

So you mean there is no equivalent to both

  (ebib-cur-entry-key)

and

  (ebib-db-get-field-value 'title key ebib-cur-db)

?

> So perhaps it would be best to simply remove org-ebib.el from
> org-contrib? It doesn't seem to have been used by anyone the past two
> years and all it does is define a function to store an org link to an
> Ebib entry, which, IIUC, is done in a completely different way in Org
> 9.0.

"org-ebib.el" is already compatible with Org 9.0.

I'm Cc'ing the author. Ideally this library should be updated to new
Ebib and moved to some ELPA.

If Grégoire doesn't want to take care of it and no one volunteers to
maintain that file, we can remove it.

We should at least wait for a week in any case.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Obsolete org contrib package
@ 2016-11-08 12:45   ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2016-11-08 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Grégoire Jadi, emacs-orgmode

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 08 2016, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> So you mean there is no equivalent to both
>
>   (ebib-cur-entry-key)

This one was what I was worried about, but on second thought, it
should be possible to simply use:

    (ebib--get-key-at-point)

> and
>
>   (ebib-db-get-field-value 'title key ebib-cur-db)

That one's easier:

   (ebib-db-get-field-value "title" key ebib--cur-db)

> "org-ebib.el" is already compatible with Org 9.0.

Ah, good, I didn't realise that.

> I'm Cc'ing the author. Ideally this library should be updated to
> new
> Ebib and moved to some ELPA.
>
> If Grégoire doesn't want to take care of it and no one
> volunteers to
> maintain that file, we can remove it.

I was actually planning to add this functionality to Ebib itself.
So if Grégoire isn't interested in it anymore, I could put it in
the Ebib repo, or create a separate repo for it, either on Github
or somewhere else, wherever you prefer.

--

@ 2016-11-09 22:22   ` daimrod
From: daimrod @ 2016-11-09 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joost Kremers, emacs-orgmode

On 11/08/16 13:23, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Joost Kremers <joostkremers@fastmail.fm> writes:
>
>> I just ran into org-ebib.el, a file that's part of org-contrib.
>> I noticed that it uses functions from Ebib that were renamed pretty
>> much exactly two years ago. (They're internal functions and thus got
>> an extra dash.) This could in principle be fixed by changing the
>> relevant function calls in org-ebib.el, but as it happens I'm about to
>> push some changes to Ebib that will make it less straightorward to fix
>> org-ebib.el.
>
> OK.
>
> So you mean there is no equivalent to both
>
>   (ebib-cur-entry-key)
>
> and
>
>   (ebib-db-get-field-value 'title key ebib-cur-db)
>
> ?
>
>> So perhaps it would be best to simply remove org-ebib.el from
>> org-contrib? It doesn't seem to have been used by anyone the past two
>> years and all it does is define a function to store an org link to an
>> Ebib entry, which, IIUC, is done in a completely different way in Org
>> 9.0.
>
> "org-ebib.el" is already compatible with Org 9.0.
>
> I'm Cc'ing the author. Ideally this library should be updated to new
> Ebib and moved to some ELPA.
>
> If Grégoire doesn't want to take care of it and no one volunteers to
> maintain that file, we can remove it.

I don't use this package anymore.
If anyone uses it, s/he take over it, otherwise we can just remove it
from org-contrib.

Best,

@ 2016-11-10  9:50     ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2016-11-10  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Grégoire Jadi, emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Nov 08 2016, Joost Kremers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Nov 08 2016, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
>> So you mean there is no equivalent to both
>>
>>   (ebib-cur-entry-key)
>
> This one was what I was worried about, but on second thought, it
> should be possible to simply use:
>
>     (ebib--get-key-at-point)
>
>> and
>>
>>   (ebib-db-get-field-value 'title key ebib-cur-db)
>
> That one's easier:
>
>    (ebib-db-get-field-value "title" key ebib--cur-db)
>
>> "org-ebib.el" is already compatible with Org 9.0.
>
> Ah, good, I didn't realise that.
>
>> I'm Cc'ing the author. Ideally this library should be updated
>> new
>> Ebib and moved to some ELPA.
>>
>> If Grégoire doesn't want to take care of it and no one
>> volunteers to
>> maintain that file, we can remove it.
>
> I was actually planning to add this functionality to Ebib
> itself.
> So if Grégoire isn't interested in it anymore, I could put it in
> the Ebib repo, or create a separate repo for it, either on
> Github
> or somewhere else, wherever you prefer.

I received the following reply from Grégoire (which, although it
was sent to the mailing list as well, apparently didn't show up
there):

On 11/08/16 13:23, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> I'm Cc'ing the author. Ideally this library should be updated to
> new
> Ebib and moved to some ELPA.
>
> If Grégoire doesn't want to take care of it and no one
> volunteers to
> maintain that file, we can remove it.

I don't use this package anymore.
If anyone uses it, s/he take over it, otherwise we can just remove
it
from org-contrib.

Like I said, I'd be happy to take over maintainance. Just let me
know how to go about making it available to org-contrib. (If there
is a way to keep the file in the main Ebib repository, that would
be my preference.)

Best,

Joost

--

@ 2016-11-10 11:16       ` daimrod
From: daimrod @ 2016-11-10 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joost Kremers, Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 11/10/16 10:50, Joost Kremers wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 08 2016, Joost Kremers wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 08 2016, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
>>> So you mean there is no equivalent to both
>>>
>>>   (ebib-cur-entry-key)
>>
>> This one was what I was worried about, but on second thought, it
>> should be possible to simply use:
>>
>>     (ebib--get-key-at-point)
>>
>>> and
>>>
>>>   (ebib-db-get-field-value 'title key ebib-cur-db)
>>
>> That one's easier:
>>    (ebib-db-get-field-value "title" key ebib--cur-db)
>>
>>> "org-ebib.el" is already compatible with Org 9.0.
>>
>> Ah, good, I didn't realise that.
>>
>>> I'm Cc'ing the author. Ideally this library should be updated to new
>>> Ebib and moved to some ELPA.
>>>
>>> If Grégoire doesn't want to take care of it and no one volunteers to
>>> maintain that file, we can remove it.
>>
>> I was actually planning to add this functionality to Ebib itself. So
>> if Grégoire isn't interested in it anymore, I could put it in the Ebib
>> repo, or create a separate repo for it, either on Github or somewhere
>> else, wherever you prefer.
>
> I received the following reply from Grégoire (which, although it was
> sent to the mailing list as well, apparently didn't show up there):

> On 11/08/16 13:23, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
>> I'm Cc'ing the author. Ideally this library should be updated to new
>> Ebib and moved to some ELPA.
>>
>> If Grégoire doesn't want to take care of it and no one volunteers to
>> maintain that file, we can remove it.
>
> I don't use this package anymore.
> If anyone uses it, s/he take over it, otherwise we can just remove it
> from org-contrib.

> Like I said, I'd be happy to take over maintainance. Just let me know
> how to go about making it available to org-contrib. (If there is a way
> to keep the file in the main Ebib repository, that would be my preference.)

IMHO it's best if you can maintain org-ebib as part of ebib itself.
We can remove org-ebib from contrib and you can add it to ebib.

Best,

@ 2016-11-10 14:58       ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-11-10 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joost Kremers; +Cc: Grégoire Jadi, emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Joost Kremers <joostkremers@fastmail.fm> writes:

> Like I said, I'd be happy to take over maintainance. Just let me know
> how to go about making it available to org-contrib. (If there is a way
> to keep the file in the main Ebib repository, that would be my
> preference.)

We don't need to make it available to Org contrib. Let me know when your
version of org-ebib.el is available to Org users (e.g., through ELPA)
and I'll remove it from contrib/ directory.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Obsolete org contrib package
@ 2016-11-11 13:46         ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2016-11-11 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

[removed Grégoire Jadi <daimrod@gmail.com> from the discussion.]

On Thu, Nov 10 2016, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> Joost Kremers <joostkremers@fastmail.fm> writes:
>
>> Like I said, I'd be happy to take over maintainance. Just let
>> me know
>> how to go about making it available to org-contrib. (If there
>> is a way
>> to keep the file in the main Ebib repository, that would be my
>> preference.)
>
> We don't need to make it available to Org contrib. Let me know
> when your
> version of org-ebib.el is available to Org users (e.g., through
> ELPA)
> and I'll remove it from contrib/ directory.

In that case, I'll just make it part of the normal Ebib
installation. No-one will be interested in org-ebib.el if they're
not also using Ebib, so I believe this makes sense. Those that use
Ebib but not Org will only have one small file added to their
installation, which shouldn't be a problem. I won't `require'
org-ebib.el in ebib.el, that will be up to the user.

Unless there's some reason to make it available as a separate
package?

Thanks,

Joost

--