* Replace Org's C-TAB with C-M-TAB - objection?
@ 2020-05-24  8:55 Bastien
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Bastien @ 2020-05-24  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

C-TAB in Org is bound to `org-force-cycle-archived' to allow to cycle
through archived subtrees.

In the Emacs tab-bar mode, it is now bound to `tab-next', which needs
to work globally.

So Org's binding and tab-bar's one are in conflict, as reported here:

I suggest binding `org-force-cycle-archived' to C-M-TAB: any objection?

 Bastien

* Re: Replace Org's C-TAB with C-M-TAB - objection?
@ 2020-05-24 11:05 ` stardiviner
From: stardiviner @ 2020-05-24 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

* Re: Replace Org's C-TAB with C-M-TAB - objection?
@ 2020-05-24 12:31   ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2020-05-24 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Sun, May 24 2020, stardiviner wrote:
> Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:
>> C-TAB in Org is bound to `org-force-cycle-archived' to allow to
>> cycle
>> through archived subtrees.
>>
>> In the Emacs tab-bar mode, it is now bound to `tab-next', which
>> needs
>> to work globally.
>>
>> So Org's binding and tab-bar's one are in conflict, as reported
>> here:
>> https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=41325
>>
>> I suggest binding `org-force-cycle-archived' to C-M-TAB: any
>> objection?
>>
>> Thanks,
>
> I object this change. Emacs tab-bar is not enabled by default.
> When conflict,
> user can customize keybinding. I don't think it's very necessary
> to change.

I would support the change, since both Org mode and tab-bar-mode
are part of core Emacs and I doubt it'll be clear to new users
coming to Emacs why these conflicting key bindings exist. Instead,
they'll be annoyed that they cannot C-TAB out of the Org buffer
and their impression of Emacs (not just Org mode or tab-bar-mode)
will suffer. Ever more so because it's probably not immediately
obvious to new users how C-TAB is different from just TAB: they
both open the subtree at point.

I've been using C-TAB for a long time to switch buffers (albeit
not with tab-bar-mode), and it's always annoying when some mode
usurps (from my perspective) this keybinding. Now, I'm familiar
with Emacs and the relative independence and freedom that
individual packages have, plus C-TAB is a personal keybinding, so
I know this sort of thing may happen and I know how to resolve it.
For a new user, that won't be so obvious. For them, this will
simply look like a badly designed UI.

So I think the general argument for habit-breaking UI changes
applies: it creates a more consistent UI, which means it's easier
on new users and more in line with what they expect. For existing
users that want the old behaviour back, it's a simple
configuration in their init.el.

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments

* Re: Replace Org's C-TAB with C-M-TAB - objection?
@ 2020-05-27  4:36 Vladimir Nikishkin
From: Vladimir Nikishkin @ 2020-05-27  4:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'd rather support this change, as I don't have TAB on my keyboard, I
use C-i instead of TAB

OTOH, C-M-i , which is essentially M-TAB, and essentially what the
changes is supposed to be, if flyspell-auto-correct-word (found in
flyspell-mode-map)

So, if this change is made, and flyspell is turned on by default (an
not turning it on is an offence punishable by Grammar Nazi), this
binding will be shadowed.

All this is a mess.

--
Yours sincerely, Vladimir Nikishkin

* Bind `org-force-cycle-archived' to C-c C-TAB instead of C-TAB
@ 2020-06-01 12:44 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2020-06-01 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> C-TAB in Org is bound to `org-force-cycle-archived' to allow to cycle
> through archived subtrees.
>
> In the Emacs tab-bar mode, it is now bound to `tab-next', which needs
> to work globally.
>
> So Org's binding and tab-bar's one are in conflict, as reported here:
> https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=41325
>
> I suggest binding `org-force-cycle-archived' to C-M-TAB: any objection?

I've finally used C-c C-TAB for `org-force-cycle-archived'.

It seems easy to remember for those used to C-TAB and it does not
other Emacs or system keybindings AFAIK.

The change will be released in Org 9.4.

--

@ 2020-06-01 13:03 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2020-06-01 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> C-TAB in Org is bound to `org-force-cycle-archived' to allow to cycle
> through archived subtrees.
>
> In the Emacs tab-bar mode, it is now bound to `tab-next', which needs
> to work globally.
>
> So Org's binding and tab-bar's one are in conflict, as reported here:
> https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=41325
>
> I suggest binding `org-force-cycle-archived' to C-M-TAB: any objection?

I've finally used C-c C-TAB for `org-force-cycle-archived'.

It seems easy to remember for those used to C-TAB and it does not
conflict with other Emacs or OS keybindings AFAIK.