* How to refer to remote table, in another file, as a source block variable?
@ 2020-08-07 19:27 William Denton
From: William Denton @ 2020-08-07 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I can't figure this one out.  Let's say I have a table in an Org file, like so:

# -----

* Primes

#+NAME: test_table
| number | prime |
|--------+-------|
| two    | yes   |
| three  | yes   |
| four   | no    |

# -----

In another file, I want to bring this table into a source block as a variable.
If it was the same file, I'd say ":var t=test_table" and that's that.  But
what's the syntax for a different file?  I can't figure it out from the docs [1]
and none of my attempts with quotes, file:, etc. work.  It's something like
this, isn't it?  But what?

#+begin_src R :var t=(remote(table.org::*Primes))
#+end_src

Thanks,

Bill

[1] https://orgmode.org/manual/References.html#References
--
William Denton :: Toronto, Canada   ---   Listening to Art: https://listeningtoart.org/
https://www.miskatonic.org/         ---   GHG.EARTH: https://ghg.earth/

* Re: How to refer to remote table, in another file, as a source block variable?
@ 2020-09-14 21:57 ` William Denton
From: William Denton @ 2020-09-14 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

My apologies for sending this around a second time, but I still haven't got it
so I thought I'd try again.  If it's possible to refer to a remote table in
another file, I've love to know how.

Bill

@ 2020-09-14 23:11   ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2020-09-14 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Denton; +Cc: org-mode-email

I think you are looking for (Assuming your table is in an org file called
test.org):

#+BEGIN_SRC ipython :var data=test.org:test_table
for row in data:
    print(row)
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
:results:
# Out [2]:
# output
['two', 'yes']
['three', 'yes']
['four', 'no']

:end:
John

-----------------------------------
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F
Department of Chemical Engineering
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
412-268-7803
@johnkitchin
http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu

@ 2020-09-17 21:01     ` William Denton
From: William Denton @ 2020-09-17 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: org-mode-email

Aha!  Thank you!  I'll try to do a patch for the docs so this is clearer there.

Bill

--

@ 2020-09-23  7:26       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2020-09-23  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Denton; +Cc: org-mode-email, John Kitchin

Hi William,

William Denton <wtd@pobox.com> writes:

> I'll try to do a patch for the docs so this is clearer there.

TIA!

--
 Bastien