* Orgmode + other modes for outlining and studying.
@ 2010-01-07 23:21 Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2010-01-07 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Hello guys,

Orgmode files are great for studying, for example, code.

Everytime I need to study some unknown code, I create a new org file, put a
* Code headline, paste the code in there and start making notes below or in
the code (as comments). It is extremelly fast and efficient to do something
like that, things just flow.

What I'd like to know is if there's a way to have, for example, orgmode +
javascript-mode, so that I can get syntax-highlighting/coloring on the
pasted javascript code. I've tried with javascript mode, but since it is a
major mode, it just kills org and all its goodies, and I don't want that.

Is there a way to have two major modes at the same time, such as org +
js-mode?

Thanks in advance,

Marcelo Serpa.

* Re: Orgmode + other modes for outlining and studying.
@ 2010-01-08  0:07 ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2010-01-08  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: Org Mode

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 4:51 AM, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa wrote:
> Hello guys,
>
> Orgmode files are great for studying, for example, code.
>
> Everytime I need to study some unknown code, I create a new org file, put a
> * code headline, paste the code in there and start making notes below or in
> the code (as comments). it is extremelly fast and efficient to do something
> like that, things just flow.
>
> what i'd like to know is if there's a way to have, for example, orgmode +
> javascript-mode, so that i can get syntax-highlighting/coloring on the
> pasted javascript code. i've tried with javascript mode, but since it is a
> major mode, it just kills org and all its goodies, and i don't want that.
>
> is there a way to have two major modes at the same time, such as org +
> js-mode?

have you seen this http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/mumamo ?

hth
--
manish

* Re: Orgmode + other modes for outlining and studying.
@ 2010-01-08  0:21 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-01-08  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: Org Mode

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> writes:

> Is there a way to have two major modes at the same time, such as org + js-mode?

yes, but it will be buggy, see

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/8112/

-- Eric

* Re: Orgmode + other modes for outlining and studying.
@ 2010-01-08  0:27   ` Greg Newman
From: Greg Newman @ 2010-01-08  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: Org Mode

what about mmm mode? Anyone try it with org?
http://mmm-mode.sourceforge.net/

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 7:21 PM, Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> wrote:

> Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> writes:
>

> > Is there a way to have two major modes at the same time, such as org +
> js-mode?
> >

> yes, but it will be buggy, see
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/8112/
>
> -- Eric

* Re: [Orgmode] Orgmode + other modes for outlining and studying.
@ 2010-01-08  3:25     ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-01-08  3:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Newman; +Cc: mmm-mode-discuss, Org Mode, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa

I tried to implement mmm-mode support for org-mode source code blocks
following the sample recipes provided along with the mmm-mode source.
These efforts were met with almost no success.

using this org-mode buffer http://gist.github.com/271820

and this mmm-mode activation code http://gist.github.com/271822

I was able to get a block of css code to fontify from within an org-mode
buffer-- for some unknown reason I was not able to highlight blocks of
ruby or emacs-lisp code.

I fear the "one major mode per buffer" assumption is deeply embedded in
Emacs and *any* such solution will probably end up being buggy.

Best -- Eric

Greg Newman <greg@20seven.org> writes:

> what about mmm mode? Anyone try it with org?
> http://mmm-mode.sourceforge.net/
>
> On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 7:21 PM, Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> writes:
>
>     >
>     > Is there a way to have two major modes at the same time, such as org + js-mode?
>     >

>     yes, but it will be buggy, see
>
>     http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/8112/
>
>     -- Eric

http://p.sf.net/sfu/verizon-dev2dev

* Re: Orgmode + other modes for outlining and studying.
@ 2010-01-08  8:49 ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2010-01-08  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Marcelo,

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa wrote:
> Orgmode files are great for studying, for example, code.
>
> Everytime I need to study some unknown code, I create a new org file, put a
> * Code headline, paste the code in there and start making notes below or in
> the code (as comments). It is extremelly fast and efficient to do something
> like that, things just flow.
>
> What I'd like to know is if there's a way to have, for example, orgmode +
> javascript-mode, so that I can get syntax-highlighting/coloring on the
> pasted javascript code. I've tried with javascript mode, but since it is a
> major mode, it just kills org and all its goodies, and I don't want that.
>
> Is there a way to have two major modes at the same time, such as org +
> js-mode?

Are you aware of Org-babel's SRC blocks?

#+BEGIN_SRC java
bla bla
#+END_SRC

And, to work on that source block, just hit C-c C-c when point is in the
block.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban

* Re: Re: Orgmode + other modes for outlining and studying.
@ 2010-01-08 16:05   ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2010-01-08 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Seb and Marcelo,

Currently, java isn't on the list of Org-babel supported languages, so
I don't know if Seb's solution will work out of the box.  Org-babel
has a facility for adding new language support.  A java addition would
be great.  Seb, if you have this working could you share your approach?

I agree with Seb that Org-babel is useful in the situation that
Marcelo describes.  I use it this way myself with python.  Comments
are distinguished from code very cleanly.  In effect, you end up with
a literate program.

All the best,
Tom

@ 2010-01-09 20:38     ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2010-01-09 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Thomas and Marcelo,

>>> Everytime I need to study some unknown code, I create a new org file, put a
>>> * Code headline, paste the code in there and start making notes below or
>>> in the code (as comments). It is extremelly fast and efficient to do something
>>> like that, things just flow.
>>>
>>> What I'd like to know is if there's a way to have, for example, orgmode +
>>> javascript-mode, so that I can get syntax-highlighting/coloring on the
>>> pasted javascript code. I've tried with javascript mode, but since it is a
>>> major mode, it just kills org and all its goodies, and I don't want that.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to have two major modes at the same time, such as org +
>>> js-mode?
>>
>> Are you aware of Org-babel's SRC blocks?
>>
>> #+BEGIN_SRC java
>> bla bla
>> #+END_SRC
>>
>> And, to work on that source block, just hit C-c C-c when point is in the
>> block.
>
> Currently, java isn't on the list of Org-babel supported languages, so I
> don't know if Seb's solution will work out of the box.

Did not know that. Not using it myself.

> Org-babel has a facility for adding new language support. A java addition
> would be great. Seb, if you have this working could you share your approach?

Yes, you can easily add new languages. I did that for AWK:

;; Org-babel needs to be told to recognize awk source code blocks and
;; how they should be tangled, which can be accomplished with the
;; following:
(org-babel-add-interpreter "awk")
(add-to-list 'org-babel-tangle-langs '("awk" "awk"))

I guess replacing awk by java would make it. Untested, though, as I don't use
it.

> I agree with Seb that Org-babel is useful in the situation that Marcelo
> describes. I use it this way myself with python. Comments are distinguished
> from code very cleanly. In effect, you end up with a literate program.

I guess this is the best thing to do, yes. Thanks for your comment (and
support), Thomas!

Best regards,
  Seb

--

@ 2010-01-09 21:22       ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-01-09 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Sébastien Vauban <wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com> writes:

[...]

>>> And, to work on that source block, just hit C-c C-c when point is in the
>>> block.

Correction: hit C-c ' to edit a source block in it's major mode

>> Currently, java isn't on the list of Org-babel supported languages, so I
>> don't know if Seb's solution will work out of the box.
>
> Did not know that. Not using it myself.

The editing of source-code blocks is a feature of the Org-mode so it
will work regardless of whether or not a particular language (e.g. java)
is supported by Org-babel.

Best -- Eric

* Re: Re: Orgmode + other modes for outlining and studying.
@ 2010-01-09 22:52         ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2010-01-09 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: Sébastien Vauban, emacs-orgmode

Aloha all,

On Jan 9, 2010, at 11:22 AM, Eric Schulte wrote:

> Sébastien Vauban <wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com> writes:
>
> [...]
>
> Correction: hit C-c ' to edit a source block in it's major mode
>

>>> Currently, java isn't on the list of Org-babel supported
>>> languages, so I
>>> don't know if Seb's solution will work out of the box.
>>
>> Did not know that. Not using it myself.
>>

> The editing of source-code blocks is a feature of the Org-mode so it
> will work regardless of whether or not a particular language (e.g.
> java)
> is supported by Org-babel.
>
> Best -- Eric

What would it take to add AWK to the list of supported languages, in
addition to Seb's setup?

Tom

* Re: Re: Orgmode + other modes for outlining and studying.
@ 2010-01-10 15:46           ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-01-10 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: Sébastien Vauban, emacs-orgmode

"Thomas S. Dye" <tsd@tsdye.com> writes:

[..]

> What would it take to add AWK to the list of supported languages, in
> addition to Seb's setup?

It is currently possible to run awk one-liners using a shell script
block, but I guess awk does straddle the line between command-line
command and full-fledged language.

It would be possible to add support for awk as a language by fleshing
out the org-babel-template.el [1] following the directions in that file
itself.  All of the *session* functions can be ignored (as I don't think
there is such a thing as an interactive awk session) which makes this
task relatively simple.  Another good guide could be org-babel-ditaa.el
[2] which is also a fairly simple language.

Best -- Eric

Footnotes:
[1]  http://github.com/eschulte/babel-dev/raw/master/org-babel-template.el

[2]  http://repo.or.cz/w/org-mode.git/blob_plain/HEAD:/contrib/babel/lisp/langs/org-babel-ditaa.el