* ASCIIMathML or LaTeXMathML for HTML?
@ 2010-01-29  4:19 Xiao-Yong Jin
From: Xiao-Yong Jin @ 2010-01-29  4:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Lately I stumbled upon AsciiDoc[1], which uses
ASCIIMathML[2] or LaTeXMathML[3] to export math formulae in
XHTML documents.  Both of these two MathML approaches seem
very nice to me.  I am not sure if anyone has brought this
up.  But I see org-mode info says

       (1) Yes, there is MathML, but that is not yet fully supported by
    many browsers, and there is no decent converter for turning LaTeX or
    ASCII representations of formulas into MathML. So for the time being,
    converting formulas into images seems the way to go.

Admittedly, not all LaTeX functionality are supported, and
only Mozilla/Firefox supports MathML fully.  But I think it
is a decent way to support simple formulae in org-mode for
people who just want to view their notes in Firefox.

[1] http://www.methods.co.nz/asciidoc/
[2] http://www1.chapman.edu/~jipsen/mathml/asciimath.html
[3] http://www.maths.nottingham.ac.uk/personal/drw/lm.html
--
J    c/*    __o/*
X    <\     * (__

* Re: ASCIIMathML or LaTeXMathML for HTML?
@ 2010-01-29 10:47 ` Darlan Cavalcante Moreira
From: Darlan Cavalcante Moreira @ 2010-01-29 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

A good alternative for creating web pages with math is using jsMath [1]. It uses
java script to replace latex notation with symbols in some fonts provided by
it. It works really well after everything is setup and does not suffer the
problem of poor mathML support by some browsers, since its only javascript.

Because the replacements are done only when the web page is viewed the publishing
from org-mode is really fast (you need to tell org-mode not to interpret or
replace any latex syntax in the equations). Also, after google chrome was
released and every browser is increasing javascript speed the replacements when
the web page is viewed in a browser are fast even when there are a lot of
equations.

There is a page in worg [2] that explains how to get jsMath working with
org-mode.

 - Darlan

[1] http://www.math.union.edu/~dpvc/jsMath/
[2] http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-jsmath.php

@ 2010-01-31 16:31   ` Xiao-Yong Jin
From: Xiao-Yong Jin @ 2010-01-31 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 11:47:48 +0100, Darlan Cavalcante Moreira wrote:

> A good alternative for creating web pages with math is using jsMath [1]. It uses
> java script to replace latex notation with symbols in some fonts provided by
> it. It works really well after everything is setup and does not suffer the
> problem of poor mathML support by some browsers, since its only javascript.

> Because the replacements are done only when the web page is viewed the publishing
> from org-mode is really fast (you need to tell org-mode not to interpret or
> replace any latex syntax in the equations). Also, after google chrome was
> released and every browser is increasing javascript speed the replacements when
> the web page is viewed in a browser are fast even when there are a lot of
> equations.

> There is a page in worg [2] that explains how to get jsMath working with
> org-mode.

>  - Darlan

> [1] http://www.math.union.edu/~dpvc/jsMath/
> [2] http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-jsmath.php

It looks very good.  Thanks.
--

@ 2010-01-31 17:03     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-01-31 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xiao-Yong Jin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jan 31, 2010, at 5:31 PM, Xiao-Yong Jin wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 11:47:48 +0100, Darlan Cavalcante Moreira wrote:
>
>> A good alternative for creating web pages with math is using jsMath
>> [1]. It uses
>> java script to replace latex notation with symbols in some fonts
>> provided by
>> it. It works really well after everything is setup and does not
>> suffer the
>> problem of poor mathML support by some browsers, since its only
>> javascript.
>
>> Because the replacements are done only when the web page is viewed
>> the publishing
>> from org-mode is really fast (you need to tell org-mode not to
>> interpret or
>> replace any latex syntax in the equations). Also, after google
>> chrome was
>> released and every browser is increasing javascript speed the
>> replacements when
>> the web page is viewed in a browser are fast even when there are a
>> lot of
>> equations.
>
>> There is a page in worg [2] that explains how to get jsMath working
>> with
>> org-mode.
>
>> - Darlan
>
>> [1] http://www.math.union.edu/~dpvc/jsMath/
>> [2] http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-jsmath.php

> It looks very good.  Thanks.

I guess that means we don't have to look into asciimathml?

- Carsten

> --
> J    c/*    __o/*
> X    <\     * (__
> Y    */\      <

- Carsten

* Re: ASCIIMathML or LaTeXMathML for HTML?
@ 2010-01-31 21:52       ` Xiao-Yong Jin
From: Xiao-Yong Jin @ 2010-01-31 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 18:03:32 +0100, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> I guess that means we don't have to look into asciimathml?

I guess MathML based solutions should be indeed put into
lower priority, since it is not widely supported by major
browsers.

The formulae rendered by JsMath is really impressive.  I
love it more than LaTeX/PDF.  And it is definitely better
than the MathML rendered in Firefox.
--