* BBDB and Org
@ 2014-04-02  0:00 Aric Gregson
From: Aric Gregson @ 2014-04-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I am just wondering if there is a way to get org mode to stop playing
with bbdb. Because I use both gnus and org, it is a bit of a hassle to
have org always pulling bbdb away from gnus when I create an agenda. I
have taken out all reference to bbdb and org in my start-up files. I
don't use anniversary any longer (could not get it to work properly with
version 3 of bbdb, despite some help from the list) and really don't see
why org needs it. Any idea of how to turn it off?

Thanks, Aric

--
    ~O
    /\_,

* Re: BBDB and Org
@ 2014-04-03 12:53 ` Charles Philip Chan
From: Charles Philip Chan @ 2014-04-03 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Aric Gregson <aorchid@mac.com> writes:

Hi Aric:

I have no problems with bbdb (using 3 now, but 2 before) and org-mode.

> I am just wondering if there is a way to get org mode to stop playing
> with bbdb. Because I use both gnus and org, it is a bit of a hassle to
> have org always pulling bbdb away from gnus when I create an agenda.

I have no idea what you are talking about here. Please give an example.

> I don't use anniversary any longer (could not get it to work properly
> with version 3 of bbdb, despite some help from the list) and really
> don't see why org needs it.

To display it in a Agenda view. Again I have no problems have. All I
have to do is to put:

     %%(org-bbdb-anniversaries)

In one of my agenda files.

Charles

--
linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste
(ksh@cis.ufl.edu put this on Tshirts in '93)

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: BBDB and Org
@ 2014-04-03 13:11   ` Charles Philip Chan
From: Charles Philip Chan @ 2014-04-03 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Charles Philip Chan <cpchan@bell.net> writes:

> %%(org-bbdb-anniversaries)

Sorry this should be:

,----
| * Anniversaries            |
| :PROPERTIES:               |
| :CATEGORY: Anniv           |
| :END:                      |
| %%(org-bbdb-anniversaries) |
|                            |
`----

Charles

--
"I once witnessed a long-winded, month-long flamewar over the use of
mice vs. trackballs...It was very silly."

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: BBDB and Org
@ 2014-04-03 15:38 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-04-03 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Aric Gregson <aorchid@mac.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I am just wondering if there is a way to get org mode to stop playing
> with bbdb. Because I use both gnus and org, it is a bit of a hassle to
> have org always pulling bbdb away from gnus when I create an agenda. I
> have taken out all reference to bbdb and org in my start-up files. I
> don't use anniversary any longer (could not get it to work properly with
> version 3 of bbdb, despite some help from the list) and really don't see
> why org needs it. Any idea of how to turn it off?
>
> Thanks, Aric

I'm also not sure what you mean by "org pulling bbdb away from gnus" --
are you running two separate instances of emacs?

* Re: BBDB and Org
@ 2014-04-03 20:07   ` Aric Gregson
From: Aric Gregson @ 2014-04-03 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> I'm also not sure what you mean by "org pulling bbdb away from gnus" --
> are you running two separate instances of emacs?

Yes, that is precisely what I am doing. I tend to work in the Emacs
instance running org mode and use the other just for email. Too much
blocking if I do it all in one instance. Plus, previously there were
lots of crashes, but things do appear more stable now.

Thanks, Aric

* Re: BBDB and Org
@ 2014-04-03 20:08     ` Aric Gregson
From: Aric Gregson @ 2014-04-03 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thanks Charles. I may try this again. I have had lots of issues moving
From v2 to v3 of bbdb. Still problems with Gnus, but workable at this
point.

Aric

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: BBDB and Org
@ 2014-04-04  2:02     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-04-04  2:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Aric Gregson <aorchid@mac.com> writes:

>> I'm also not sure what you mean by "org pulling bbdb away from gnus" --
>> are you running two separate instances of emacs?
>
> Yes, that is precisely what I am doing. I tend to work in the Emacs
> instance running org mode and use the other just for email. Too much
> blocking if I do it all in one instance. Plus, previously there were
> lots of crashes, but things do appear more stable now.

Ah, check the variable bbdb-read-only then -- it's for precisely this
situation. If you set it to 't' in the emacs running org, it will
prevent clashes (though obviously you won't be able to edit the bbdb
file).

* Re: BBDB and Org
@ 2014-04-04 16:35       ` Aric Gregson
From: Aric Gregson @ 2014-04-04 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Ah, check the variable bbdb-read-only then -- it's for precisely this
> situation.

Exactly what I was looking for! Thank you.

Aric