* non requested string translation in timestamps
@ 2022-07-16 16:34 Cédric Martínez Campos
From: Cédric Martínez Campos @ 2022-07-16 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi there!

When I add a timestamp through, for instance, scheduling (C-c s), the
day abbreviation is translated to my local language, that is, Spanish.
However all calendar variables, calendar-*, and, more specifically,
calendar-day-{name,header,abbrev}-array have not been modified and
keep their default values in English.

I would like to know how is this happening. Is this a bug or somehow intended?

Thx in advance,
Cédric M. Campos

Version: Emacs 28.1
Mod: Spacemacs 0.999 (fully updated develop branch)
Distro: Manjaro 21.3.3 / Ubuntu 22.4 LTS

* Re: non requested string translation in timestamps
@ 2022-07-17  3:01 ` Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2022-07-17  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Cédric Martínez Campos <cedricmartinezcampos@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi there!
>
> When I add a timestamp through, for instance, scheduling (C-c s), the
> day abbreviation is translated to my local language, that is, Spanish.
> However all calendar variables, calendar-*, and, more specifically,
> calendar-day-{name,header,abbrev}-array have not been modified and
> keep their default values in English.
>
> I would like to know how is this happening. Is this a bug or somehow intended?

I'm assuming your question is why is Emacs able to put in timestamps
using my locale names for date components, but teh calendar does not?
Not sure on the answer. However, I do see that you can use M-x
cusotmize-group <ret> calendar and from there edit the values to
whatever you want. I don't know why Emacs doesn't pick up on your locale
settings and do this automatically.

Note that calendar is part of core Emacs. You might get a better answer
if you ask this question on the emacs.devel list. Org just uses the
built in functionality, but does not implement the calendar (it does do
the timestamp bits, but these appear to be working).