* Status of MobileOrg for iOS?
@ 2015-03-05  3:11 David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2015-03-05  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I had MobileOrg setup and *mostly* working, but I went away for awhile
and seem to be not how to get it to work now.  My main problem seems to
be that everytime I start to use MobileOrg, it captures a new item
whether I want it to or not.  I have it configured to use Dropbox and it
appears to work with my Emacs via org-mobile-push and org-mobile-pull.
MobileOrg itself, though, constantly captures new items and adds empty
items to the capture list.  A push/pull doesn't seem to change that.  I
guess I'm missing something.

What is the status of MobileOrg for iOS?

--
David Masterson
Programmer At Large

* Re: Status of MobileOrg for iOS?
@ 2015-03-05  3:27 ` Ken Mankoff
From: Ken Mankoff @ 2015-03-05  3:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Masterson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Is AutoCapture enabled in settings? Turn it off.

  -k.

Please excuse brevity. Sent from pocket computer with tiny non-haptic feedback keyboard.

@ 2015-03-07  6:28 ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2015-03-07  6:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Masterson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com> writes:

> What is the status of MobileOrg for iOS?

It seems stalled but, AFAIK, it is free software and higly hackable
if you have the knowledge and time ^^

As I did not have either resource, I decided to stop using MobileOrg
;) After all, I did not use it much and I had problems with the UX.

Regards
-- Xavier.

* Re: Status of MobileOrg for iOS?
@ 2015-03-07  6:45   ` David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2015-03-07  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Xavier Maillard <xavier@maillard.im> writes:

> David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> What is the status of MobileOrg for iOS?
>
> It seems stalled but, AFAIK, it is free software and higly hackable
> if you have the knowledge and time ^^
>
> As I did not have either resource, I decided to stop using MobileOrg
> ;) After all, I did not use it much and I had problems with the UX.

It does seem somewhat stalled, but it does seem to work once you get it
set up.  I hope I can find time to work on it in the future.  It could
use the following:

1. Further details in the documentation.
2. A better description of what MobileOrg can and cannot do.
3. Simpler data entry/update methods (perhaps Siri?).
4. Exchange between iPhone outliners and MobileOrg.

Overall, for managing your life, I see very little better than Org
especially if you are used to working with Emacs.  And Org is free and
always improving (as is obvious from this newsgroup).  The one issue
that has been holding me back was accessing and updating my tasks and
overall "life outlines" from my iPhone which is always with me.
MobileOrg begins to address that, but I have a lot to learn on using
both.

--

@ 2015-03-07  7:27     ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2015-03-07  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Masterson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi David,

David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com> writes:

> Xavier Maillard <xavier@maillard.im> writes:
>
>> David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> What is the status of MobileOrg for iOS?
>>
>> It seems stalled but, AFAIK, it is free software and higly hackable
>> if you have the knowledge and time ^^
>
> It does seem somewhat stalled, but it does seem to work once you get it
> set up.  I hope I can find time to work on it in the future.  It could
> use the following:
>
> 3. Simpler data entry/update methods (perhaps Siri?).

Oh YEAH ! :D

> Overall, for managing your life, I see very little better than Org
> especially if you are used to working with Emacs.

I can't agree more with that ! I wish I had an EmacsOS smartphone ^^.

> The one issue that has been holding me back was accessing and
>updating my tasks and overall "life outlines" from my iPhone which
>is always with me.  MobileOrg begins to address that, but I have a
>lot to learn on using both.

I hardly edit my lists directly onto my smartphone. I find it quite
complicated and error prone but my main UX problem is with tha
ability to export an encrypted version of my orgfiles. I do not want
them to be stored as clear text on something like Dropbox. Until I
can GPG encrypt them and make mobileorg using it that way, I won't
use it again ^^ (That means MobileOrg can deal with GPG encrypted
files too.).

Regards
-- Xavier.