* ASCII export: footer possible?
@ 2012-06-29  8:25 Loris Bennett
From: Loris Bennett @ 2012-06-29  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I want to maintain a list of news for a "message of the day" in an org
file and export it to ASCII:

/=================================================================================\
| #+EXPORT_SELECT_TAGS: current                                                   |
| #+TITLE:                                                                        |
|                                                                                 |
| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- |
|                                                                                 |
|                          WELCOME TO MY COMPUTER                                 |
|                                                                                 |
| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- |
| EWS * NEWS * NEWS * NEWS * NEWS * NEWS * NEWS * NEWS * NEWS * NEWS * NEWS * NEW |
| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- |
|                                                                                 |
| * 29.06.2012                                                        :current:   |
|                                                                                 |
| No news is good news.                                                           |
|                                                                                 |
| * 28.06.2012                                                        :current:   |
|                                                                                 |
| Everything fine today.                                                          |
|                                                                                 |
| * 20.06.2012                                                                    |
|                                                                                 |
| Down for maintenance.                                                           |
|                                                                                 |
| * 18.06.2012                                                                    |
|                                                                                 |
| My computer is now online                                                       |
|                                                                                 |
| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- |
| EWS * NEWS * NEWS * NEWS * NEWS * NEWS * NEWS * NEWS * NEWS * NEWS * NEWS * NEW |
| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- |
\=================================================================================/

When exported this gives me:

/=================================================================================\
| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- |
|                                                                                 |
|                       WELCOME TO MY BIG COMPUTER                                |
|                                                                                 |
| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- |
| EWS * NEWS * NEWS * NEWS * NEWS * NEWS * NEWS * NEWS * NEWS * NEWS * NEWS * NEW |
| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- |
|                                                                                 |
| 29.06.2012                                                                      |
| ----------                                                                      |
|                                                                                 |
| No news is good news.                                                           |
|                                                                                 |
| 28.06.2012                                                                      |
| ----------                                                                      |
|                                                                                 |
| Everything fine today.                                                          |
|                                                                                 |
\=================================================================================/

Currently the footer is not exported.  Is there any way to achieve this?

Thanks,

Loris

--
Loris Bennett

* Re: ASCII export: footer possible?
@ 2012-06-29  8:42 ` Loris Bennett
From: Loris Bennett @ 2012-06-29  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Loris Bennett" <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> writes:

> [...]
> |                                                                                 |
> | * 20.06.2012                                                                    |
> |                                                                                 |
> | Down for maintenance.                                                           |
> |                                                                                 |
> | * 18.06.2012                                                                    |
> |                                                                                 |
> | My computer is now online                                                       |
> |                                                                                 |
> | ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- |
> | EWS * NEWS * NEWS * NEWS * NEWS * NEWS * NEWS * NEWS * NEWS * NEWS * NEWS * NEW |
> | ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- |
> \=================================================================================/
>
> When exported this gives me:
>
> /=================================================================================\
> | ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- |
> |                                                                                 |
> |                       WELCOME TO MY BIG COMPUTER                                |
> |                                                                                 |
> | ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- |
> | EWS * NEWS * NEWS * NEWS * NEWS * NEWS * NEWS * NEWS * NEWS * NEWS * NEWS * NEW |
> | ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- |
> |                                                                                 |
> | 29.06.2012                                                                      |
> | ----------                                                                      |
> |                                                                                 |
> | No news is good news.                                                           |
> |                                                                                 |
> | 28.06.2012                                                                      |
> | ----------                                                                      |
> |                                                                                 |
> | Everything fine today.                                                          |
> |                                                                                 |
> \=================================================================================/
>

> Currently the footer is not exported.  Is there any way to achieve this?

What I should have said is that currently the footer is obviously part of the last
section and so is only exported if the last section is.

Loris

--

@ 2012-06-29  9:00 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2012-06-29  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loris Bennett; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

There are two exporters now - old and new.

What command are you using for the export? C-c C-e a, M-x
org-export-dispatch.

If you customize org-e-ascii (yourself), it is possible that you can
generate the box programmatically on export and not have it in your Org
file.

How is the status generated - programmatically or otherwise?

@ 2012-06-29  9:22   ` Loris Bennett
From: Loris Bennett @ 2012-06-29  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> There are two exporters now - old and new.
>
> What command are you using for the export? C-c C-e a, M-x
> org-export-dispatch.

I'm using C-c C-e a with Org 7.8.11.

> If you customize org-e-ascii (yourself), it is possible that you can
> generate the box programmatically on export and not have it in your Org
> file.
>
> How is the status generated - programmatically or otherwise?

Sorry, my post was obviously confusing.  I just added the box in the
posting using Emacs's rebox.  By the footer I just meant this bit:

EWS * NEWS * NEWS * NEWS * NEWS * NEWS * NEWS * NEWS * NEWS * NEWS * NEWS * NEW

at the end of the file.

If by status you mean the 'current' tag, I just set it by hand when I
add a new message or remove it if I think the message is too old.

Cheers,

Loris

--
Dr. Loris Bennett (Mr.)
ZEDAT, Freie Universität Berlin         Email loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de

* Re: ASCII export: footer possible?
@ 2012-06-29  9:30     ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2012-06-29  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loris Bennett; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"Loris Bennett" <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> writes:

>> There are two exporters now - old and new.
>>
>> What command are you using for the export? C-c C-e a, M-x
>> org-export-dispatch.
>
> I'm using C-c C-e a with Org 7.8.11.

I am just persuading you to try the new exporter as well :-).  It is
possible that you get what you want.