emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
 help / color / mirror / code / Atom feed
* Org-mode on GNU ELPA
@ 2011-07-13 16:08 mattcto
  2011-07-15  6:16 ` Jambunathan K
  2011-07-16 11:06 ` Bastien
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 6+ messages in thread
From: mattcto @ 2011-07-13 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Org-mode on GNU ELPA does not distribute the contrib-directory. Is there any chance this could be added? Other than that, I think the GNU ELPA archive is synced with the trunk/master rather than with the actual releases. I often encounter minor bugs when working with org which usually disappear after updating from GNU ELPA again. Is is possible that the mainline release (7.6) is distributed via ELPA rather than a bleeding edge development version?

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: Org-mode on GNU ELPA
  2011-07-13 16:08 Org-mode on GNU ELPA mattcto
@ 2011-07-15  6:16 ` Jambunathan K
  2011-07-16 10:58   ` Bastien
  2011-07-16 11:06 ` Bastien
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 6+ messages in thread
From: Jambunathan K @ 2011-07-15  6:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mattcto; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

mattcto@Safe-mail.net writes:

> Org-mode on GNU ELPA does not distribute the contrib-directory. Is
> there any chance this could be added?

I have a patch to Makefile which permits this to be done. I have not
been able to spend much time hacking for the last week or so but I plan
to nudge it forward as soon as my spirit is willing.

The actual inclusion of specific items would be governed by GNU ELPA's
policy. Since you use the term 'GNU ELPA' I believe you are following at
the discussions on the emacs-devel list.

The ELPA tarball contains no other documentation apart from the info
file. Would you also like to see the html, pdf documentation and
refcards be distributed with?

What files in the contrib dir are you interested in? If indicate your
preferences, may be this discussion wouldn't end up being too abstract.

> Other than that, I think the GNU ELPA archive is synced with the
> trunk/master rather than with the actual releases.

Correct.

> I often encounter minor bugs when working with org which usually
> disappear after updating from GNU ELPA again. 

> Is is possible that the mainline release (7.6) is distributed via ELPA
> rather than a bleeding edge development version?

From the Org side of things, there are discussions about having a stable
and devel branches - I think they are called master and maint.

From the package manager of things, the archive-contents file which is a
"catalogue" for the packages distributed by the repo, permit only ONE
latest version for a package. The problem really is that there are could
potentially TWO latest versions of a package - a development version
that is a daily snapshot and a stable release (What is "latest", is
defined by the user preferences) - and BOTH of them cannot be
distributed in existing scheme of things. ie., you either have latest
devel or the latest stable but not both.

You can refer to my Oct 2010, post on emacs-devel for further
information.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2010-10/msg01026.html

The post didn't gain much traction. I think my idea were perhaps too
early for it's time (Atleast that's what I would like to believe in)

Jambunathan K.

-- 

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: Org-mode on GNU ELPA
  2011-07-15  6:16 ` Jambunathan K
@ 2011-07-16 10:58   ` Bastien
  2011-07-16 12:53     ` Jambunathan K
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 6+ messages in thread
From: Bastien @ 2011-07-16 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: mattcto, emacs-orgmode

Dear Jambunathan,

Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> writes:

> mattcto@Safe-mail.net writes:
>
>> Org-mode on GNU ELPA does not distribute the contrib-directory. Is
>> there any chance this could be added?
>
> I have a patch to Makefile which permits this to be done. I have not
> been able to spend much time hacking for the last week or so but I plan
> to nudge it forward as soon as my spirit is willing.

I guess your new patch will obsolete this one: 

  http://patchwork.newartisans.com/patch/377/

Can you confirm, so that I mark the patch above as obsolete?

I'm looking forward to reading the new patch.  

Achim is also working on the Makefile and IMHO the issue he will 
solve is more pressing.  I suggest we wait for his change to apply
your new patch.

Thanks a lot,

-- 
 Bastien

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: Org-mode on GNU ELPA
  2011-07-13 16:08 Org-mode on GNU ELPA mattcto
  2011-07-15  6:16 ` Jambunathan K
@ 2011-07-16 11:06 ` Bastien
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 6+ messages in thread
From: Bastien @ 2011-07-16 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mattcto; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

mattcto@Safe-mail.net writes:

> Org-mode on GNU ELPA does not distribute the contrib-directory. Is there
> any chance this could be added? 

No, because the GNU ELPA policy requires that the authors of a GNU ELPA
file sign the FSF assignment.

One of the reasons we have a contrib/ directory is that we don't want to
limit Org's distribution to files from authors who signed this agreement.

> Other than that, I think the GNU ELPA
> archive is synced with the trunk/master rather than with the actual
> releases. 

Correct.

> I often encounter minor bugs when working with org which usually
> disappear after updating from GNU ELPA again. Is is possible that the
> mainline release (7.6) is distributed via ELPA rather than a bleeding edge
> development version?

The main reason we have an Org tarball in GNU ELPA is to let users
easily access to the bleeding edge version of Org.  If GNU ELPA contains
the exact same version than Emacs, then there is no real advantage of
distributing Org in both channels.  So I think it's better to stick to
the current scheme.

Thanks,

-- 
 Bastien

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: Org-mode on GNU ELPA
  2011-07-16 10:58   ` Bastien
@ 2011-07-16 12:53     ` Jambunathan K
  2011-07-16 13:03       ` Bastien
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 6+ messages in thread
From: Jambunathan K @ 2011-07-16 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode



>> I have a patch to Makefile which permits this to be done. I have not
>> been able to spend much time hacking for the last week or so but I plan
>> to nudge it forward as soon as my spirit is willing.
>
> I guess your new patch will obsolete this one: 
>
>   http://patchwork.newartisans.com/patch/377/
>
> Can you confirm, so that I mark the patch above as obsolete?

Yes. Please obsolete all the earlier submissions.


> I'm looking forward to reading the new patch.  
>
> Achim is also working on the Makefile and IMHO the issue he will 
> solve is more pressing.  I suggest we wait for his change to apply
> your new patch.

I will re-submit a re-based patch. May be I can pick a thing or two from
Achim's changes. I will be happy to have him review the "make pkg"
changes and suggest improvements to the same.

Jambunathan K.

> Thanks a lot,

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: Org-mode on GNU ELPA
  2011-07-16 12:53     ` Jambunathan K
@ 2011-07-16 13:03       ` Bastien
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 6+ messages in thread
From: Bastien @ 2011-07-16 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Jambunathan,

Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> writes:

> Yes. Please obsolete all the earlier submissions.

Done.

> I will re-submit a re-based patch. May be I can pick a thing or two from
> Achim's changes. I will be happy to have him review the "make pkg"
> changes and suggest improvements to the same.

Great!

Thanks,

-- 
 Bastien

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2011-07-16 13:03 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 6+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2011-07-13 16:08 Org-mode on GNU ELPA mattcto
2011-07-15  6:16 ` Jambunathan K
2011-07-16 10:58   ` Bastien
2011-07-16 12:53     ` Jambunathan K
2011-07-16 13:03       ` Bastien
2011-07-16 11:06 ` Bastien

Code repositories for project(s) associated with this inbox:

	https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for read-only IMAP folder(s) and NNTP newsgroup(s).