* Exporting multilingual documents (with Japanese) to PDF
@ 2015-09-07 20:56 Luis Felipe López Acevedo
From: Luis Felipe López Acevedo @ 2015-09-07 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I'm using Emacs 24.4.1 on Debian 8. I currently can export to PDF
documents that mix English and Spanish, but a simple document like the
following produces a PDF with no Japanese characters at all. Only the
English and Spanish text is visible.

     #+TITLE: Notes on Japanese
     #+DATE: 2015-09-07

     * 2015年9月7日

     - おはようございます!
     - Good morning!
     - ¡Buenos días!

The "Org PDF LaTeX Output" shows several errors like this one:

     ! Package inputenc Error: Unicode char \u8:年 not set up for use with
LaTeX.

The complete log:
https://bitbucket.org/sirgazil/dnd/downloads/nihongo.log

Searching for a solution on the Web I found this post
http://blogs.fsfe.org/ciaran/?p=150. When I use "pdflatex JIS.tex" as
indicated there, I get a good PDF with Japanese characters.

So I'm wondering how to get this working on Org mode...

--
Luis Felipe López Acevedo
http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/

* Exporting multilingual documents (with Japanese) to PDF
@ 2015-09-08  0:18 Luis Felipe López Acevedo
From: Luis Felipe López Acevedo @ 2015-09-08  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

[...]

* Re: Exporting multilingual documents (with Japanese) to PDF
@ 2015-09-08  1:24 ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2015-09-08  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe López Acevedo; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Aloha Luis,

Luis Felipe López Acevedo <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using Emacs 24.4.1 on Debian 8. I currently can export to PDF
> documents that mix English and Spanish, but a simple document like the
> following produces a PDF with no Japanese characters at all. Only the
> English and Spanish text is visible.
>
>      #+TITLE: Notes on Japanese
>      #+DATE: 2015-09-07
>

>      * 2015年9月7日
>
>      - おはようございます!
>      - Good morning!
>      - ¡Buenos días!
>
> The "Org PDF LaTeX Output" shows several errors like this one:
>
>      ! Package inputenc Error: Unicode char \u8:年 not set up for use with
> LaTeX.
>
> The complete log:
> https://bitbucket.org/sirgazil/dnd/downloads/nihongo.log
>
> Searching for a solution on the Web I found this post
> http://blogs.fsfe.org/ciaran/?p=150. When I use "pdflatex JIS.tex" as
> indicated there, I get a good PDF with Japanese characters.
>
> So I'm wondering how to get this working on Org mode...

The following illustrates one approach.  You'll probably have to augment
the definition of the LaTeX class by adding fonts, etc., but if you have
a working example on your system that should not be hard.  Note that
the example relies on the setup code, so you'll either need to read the
code from its own file or refresh the setup with C-c C-c when point is
on one of the #+ lines at the top.

#+SELECT_TAGS: export
#+EXCLUDE_TAGS: noexport
#+CREATOR: Emacs 24.5.1 (Org mode 8.3.1)
#+LATEX_CLASS: japanese

* Acevedo example

#+attr_latex: :options [dnp]{JIS}{min}
#+begin_CJK*
I can write this 私はキランです in Japanese.
#+end_CJK*

* Setup code                                                       :noexport:
#+name: japanese-class
#+header: :results silent
#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(add-to-list 'org-latex-classes
                '("japanese"
                  "\\documentclass{scrartcl}
                         [NO-DEFAULT-PACKAGES]
                         [PACKAGES]
                         [EXTRA]
                   \\usepackage{CJK}
                   \\usepackage{hyperref}"
                 ("\\section{%s}" . "\\section*{%s}")
                 ("\\subsection{%s}" . "\\subsection*{%s}")
                 ("\\subsubsection{%s}" . "\\subsubsection*{%s}")
                 ("\\paragraph{%s}" . "\\paragraph*{%s}")
                 ("\\subparagraph{%s}" . "\\subparagraph*{%s}")))
#+end_src

* Local variables                                                  :noexport:
# Local Variables:
# coding: euc-japan
# eval: (sbe "japanese-class")

hth,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: Exporting multilingual documents (with Japanese) to PDF
@ 2015-09-08  5:36 ` Robert Klein
From: Robert Klein @ 2015-09-08  5:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe López Acevedo; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

On Mon, 07 Sep 2015 19:18:02 -0500
Luis Felipe López Acevedo <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using Emacs 24.4.1 on Debian 8. I currently can export to PDF
> documents that mix English and Spanish, but a simple document like
> the following produces a PDF with no Japanese characters at all. Only
> the English and Spanish text is visible.
>
>      #+TITLE: Notes on Japanese
>      #+DATE: 2015-09-07
>

>      * 2015年9月7日
>
>      - おはようございます!
>      - Good morning!
>      - ¡Buenos días!
>
> The "Org PDF LaTeX Output" shows several errors like this one:
>
>      ! Package inputenc Error: Unicode char \u8:年 not set up for use
> with LaTeX.
>
> The complete log:
> https://bitbucket.org/sirgazil/dnd/downloads/nihongo.log
>
> Searching for a solution on the Web I found this post
> http://blogs.fsfe.org/ciaran/?p=150. When I use "pdflatex JIS.tex" as
> indicated there, I get a good PDF with Japanese characters.
>
> So I'm wondering how to get this working on Org mode...

like Thomas Dye showed in his mail, you have to encapsulate the
Japanese text in LaTeX with \begin{CJK} and \end{CJK}.

You can also use links or macros (using links).  An example (for
Chinese, but Japanese is basically the same, except the fonts):

Put the following in your .emacs:

#+begin_src elisp
  (org-add-link-type
   "zh" nil
   (lambda (path desc format)
     (cond
      ((eq format 'html)
       (format "%s" desc))
      ((eq format 'latex)
       (format "\\zh{%s}" desc)))))
#+end_src

Put the following in the head of your org file:

#+begin_src org
  #+LaTeX_HEADER: %% CJK stuff
  #+LaTeX_HEADER: \usepackage[encapsulated]{CJK}
  #+LaTeX_HEADER: \usepackage[CJK, overlap]{ruby}
  #+LaTeX_HEADER: \usepackage{pinyin}

  #+LaTeX_HEADER: \newcommand{\zh}[1]{\begin{CJK}{UTF8}{gkai}\Large
#1\end{CJK}} % gb2312 kai #+LaTeX_HEADER: \renewcommand{\rubysize}{0.5}

  #+LaTeX_HEADER: %% pinyin 1st and 3rd tone (shortened)
  #+LaTeX_HEADER: \usepackage{newunicodechar}
  #+LaTeX_HEADER: \newunicodechar{ǎ}{\v{a}}
  #+LaTeX_HEADER: \newunicodechar{ǐ}{\v{\i}}

  #+Macro: zh [[zh:][$1]]
#+end_src org

Then use CJK in your org file like this:

#+begin_src org
  Now you can user CJK characters like {{{zh(你好!)}}} (Nǐ hǎo) or
  [[zh:][你好!]].
#+end_src

Best regards
Robert

* Re: Exporting multilingual documents (with Japanese) to PDF
@ 2015-09-08 17:57   ` Luis Felipe López Acevedo
From: Luis Felipe López Acevedo @ 2015-09-08 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Klein; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2015-09-08 00:36, Robert Klein wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 07 Sep 2015 19:18:02 -0500
> Luis Felipe López Acevedo <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm using Emacs 24.4.1 on Debian 8. I currently can export to PDF
>> documents that mix English and Spanish, but a simple document like
>> the following produces a PDF with no Japanese characters at all. Only
>> the English and Spanish text is visible.
>>
>>      #+TITLE: Notes on Japanese
>>      #+DATE: 2015-09-07
>>

>>      * 2015年9月7日
>>
>>      - おはようございます!
>>      - Good morning!
>>      - ¡Buenos días!
>>
>> The "Org PDF LaTeX Output" shows several errors like this one:
>>
>>      ! Package inputenc Error: Unicode char \u8:年 not set up for use
>> with LaTeX.
>>
>> The complete log:
>> https://bitbucket.org/sirgazil/dnd/downloads/nihongo.log
>>
>> Searching for a solution on the Web I found this post
>> http://blogs.fsfe.org/ciaran/?p=150. When I use "pdflatex JIS.tex" as
>> indicated there, I get a good PDF with Japanese characters.
>>
>> So I'm wondering how to get this working on Org mode...
>>

> like Thomas Dye showed in his mail, you have to encapsulate the
> Japanese text in LaTeX with \begin{CJK} and \end{CJK}.
>
> You can also use links or macros (using links).  An example (for
> Chinese, but Japanese is basically the same, except the fonts):
>
> Put the following in your .emacs:
>
> #+begin_src elisp
>   (org-add-link-type
>    "zh" nil
>    (lambda (path desc format)
>      (cond
>       ((eq format 'html)
>        (format "%s" desc))
>       ((eq format 'latex)
>        (format "\\zh{%s}" desc)))))
> #+end_src
>
> Put the following in the head of your org file:
>
> #+begin_src org
>   #+LaTeX_HEADER: %% CJK stuff
>   #+LaTeX_HEADER: \usepackage[encapsulated]{CJK}
>   #+LaTeX_HEADER: \usepackage[CJK, overlap]{ruby}
>   #+LaTeX_HEADER: \usepackage{pinyin}
>
>   #+LaTeX_HEADER: \newcommand{\zh}[1]{\begin{CJK}{UTF8}{gkai}\Large
> #1\end{CJK}} % gb2312 kai #+LaTeX_HEADER: \renewcommand{\rubysize}{0.5}
>
>   #+LaTeX_HEADER: %% pinyin 1st and 3rd tone (shortened)
>   #+LaTeX_HEADER: \usepackage{newunicodechar}
>   #+LaTeX_HEADER: \newunicodechar{ǎ}{\v{a}}
>   #+LaTeX_HEADER: \newunicodechar{ǐ}{\v{\i}}
>
>   #+Macro: zh [[zh:][$1]]
> #+end_src org
>

> Then use CJK in your org file like this:
>
> #+begin_src org
>   Now you can user CJK characters like {{{zh(你好!)}}} (Nǐ hǎo) or
> #+end_src
>
> Best regards
> Robert

Hmm, that's kinda complex. I think I'll limit myself to HTML exports
then.

Thomas, mahalo nui loa; Robert, thank you very much :)